PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

For those who went to the game..you were horrible

It makes a massive difference. Centurylink in Seattle is loud in part due to the fans but is also heavily aided by the roofing, which is made of aluminum. The roofing (a) helps trap sound and (b) the fact that it is made of aluminum causes the sound to reverberate, similar to the way the old RCA Dome would.

Kraft's decision to make the stadium more "family friendly" (aka - yuppie) definitely impacts noise level, but even at full throat, Gillette simply is not going to ever get as loud as most other NFL stadiums. It is relatively small in size (I think 19th in the NFL), it is open-air with no cover for the seats like Centurylink, and it has a wide-open end. Simply put, it was not designed to be loud.

I watched Hightower all game, Tunes...what a game he had...in coverage, hitting gaps...he's a real under radar menace...Wilfork looked like he was ill though...did you notice that?

Hightower was great and Nink too. Hightower in particular made one really great tackle right in front of us in the 3rd quarter in open field in the flat one on one. I beleive the play wound up a one yard loss and could have easily been a first down had he not made a perfect tackle.

Vince looked fine after the game in an interview with NFLN. I think they are just managing the snaps of him and Kelly. To that point I found it interesting that on a drive where Vince was sitting and Kelly and Vellano were in but when they hit mid-field they subbed Vince for Kelly and not Vellano made me think they were managing snaps for the big men especially given then lack of depth.

mosey threetupu said:
The horn would be great if used sparingly and with the right crowd. As much as I hate Fireman Ed when he did his thing at the right time it was raucous (been there live many times). Guess my point is it doesn't seem to add much.

They actually used to use it very sparingly only after scores but recently the NFL changed the rules on how the PA announcers can use noise and prompts to amp up the crowd and since then they have used it as the D is first coming on the field and on third downs to try and get the crowd going. I agree it seems lame with our crowd as the horn dies out and the crowd is not loud like it should be.

But to the crowd itself it was late arriving which is typical for opening day as for whatever reason the traffic around foxboro is always worse. And some guys did head for cover when the rain hit. But other than that I thought it was an average day for the crowd. Certainly not one if its best but not close to its worst either. I haven't missed a game at Gillette so I know when its being really dull and when its really stepping up and yesterday was just an average day. You could argue that with the Jets in town they should be above average and you can certainly complain that they should always be better then they are but bottom line is yesterday was not aweful.

I went to three Pats games during 2007. I went to the MNF @Baltimore that year, and that was the loudest crowd I've ever heard. Everyone in the stadium was standing, chanting defense, and beating on their seats from the opening kickoff. It was a drastic difference from the Pats crowd against the Steelers the next week who sat down for the most part until it was time to taunt the guy who guaranteed a Steelers win.

It's basically an extension of the Red Sox fan crowd: Yell and cheer when stuff happens. It is what it is. Obviously there are diehards out there who scream and carry on, but they're not a majority (Joker and Tune, I'm guessing).

The design might make a marginal difference in the end, but I've heard 15,000 Englishmen in a goat pasture they call a soccer stadium get louder than the Patriots crowd normally does. Bad acoustics don't put muzzles on half of the crowd.
The Sox crowd at the Trop was louder the last few days. Not that much of an Exaggeration.

I was there until AFTER 0:00. Stood in the rain the whole time yelling my lungs out. Why don't you simply pat yourself on the back instead of complaining about everyone else?

Agreed. Many people did not leave but went under cover in the concourses. The rain was torrential. Even if you had a raincoat or a poncho you were soaked to the skin. Most people stayed to the end of the game (the traffic afterwards attested to that).

It makes a massive difference. Centurylink in Seattle is loud in part due to the fans but is also heavily aided by the roofing, which is made of aluminum. The roofing (a) helps trap sound and (b) the fact that it is made of aluminum causes the sound to reverberate, similar to the way the old RCA Dome would.

Kraft's decision to make the stadium more "family friendly" (aka - yuppie) definitely impacts noise level, but even at full throat, Gillette simply is not going to ever get as loud as most other NFL stadiums. It is relatively small in size (I think 19th in the NFL), it is open-air with no cover for the seats like Centurylink, and it has a wide-open end. Simply put, it was not designed to be loud.

The loudest crowd ever, according to the Guinness Book of World Records, was at the Ali Sami Yen Stadium (home to Galatasaray). It's a stadium in Instanbul that holds 48,000 (Gillette holds 67,000) and the most recent construction on it was in 1964. Even the most pedestrian stadium acoustics of the early 2000s were far more advanced than in 1964.

Oddly enough, the Seahawks are trying to break that record this weekend.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...e-to-break-guinness-record-for-loudest-crowd/

No way, I love that horn. It mocks the other team

They also showed Smith on the jumbotron covering his ears a few times when the foghorn went off.

The crowd noise was there in the 4th when the Pats were on D, at least where I was. The rain probably deadened some of the noise, and let's face it, not much to cheer for on O last night. Couldn't even make 3rd & 1 for cripes sake. D was great for most of the game.

Just got home. A win is a win in my eyes. So sick of all this *****ing...this isn't the 2007 pats people...

On topic:

Once it started to pour..people started to hit the exits in the 3rd...in the 4th it was an exodus to the gates with my section in the 200s 1/3 empty at start of 4th. it's rain...get over it. Horrible job by they fans..no intensity once the rain hit. I stayed until 0:00 BTW

Did you stay until the end of the game?

2011-10-19-holleymangold.jpg

she's twice the man her brother is.....:rofl:

I think she's cool. I'm not kidding. She's a big girl and she's making it work for herself without embarrassment.

The Sox crowd at the Trop was louder the last few days. Not that much of an Exaggeration.

As Harrisoned! mentioned, you can scream all you want but it isn't going to affect how sound waves travel. Give something sound can bounce off of and it gets a lot louder. Acoustics is a science.

The loudest crowd ever, according to the Guinness Book of World Records, was at the Ali Sami Yen Stadium (home to Galatasaray). It's a stadium in Instanbul that holds 48,000 (Gillette holds 67,000) and the most recent construction on it was in 1964. Even the most pedestrian stadium acoustics of the early 2000s were far more advanced than in 1964.

Seahawks fans hope to break Guinness record for loudest crowd | ProFootballTalk

Again, it's a closed-ended stadium that has, at least in part, coverings over the fans. I have actually been to Ali Sami Yen stadium - fun place to watch a soccer game. Comparing soccer fans to NFL fans is moronic - no NFL fanbase is as diehard as most of the nutjobs following top soccer teams. I am not saying the composition of the crowd is irrelevant - it matters a lot. I am just saying that even at the best of times, like 2007, the crowd was really rocking but it never reached the noise level I have heard at other stadiums like the old Mile High or the RCA Dome or pretty much any major college football game I've ever attended (BC aside).

Seahawks fans hope to break Guinness record for loudest crowd | ProFootballTalk

I bet it wasn't a torrential downpour in an open-ended stadium when that record was set.

BTW can the Patriots get rid of that silly horn they blow regularly throughout the game?? Sounds so so lame.

The fog horn is great! It is so completely New England, along with the rag tag revolutionary musket patrol.

The best use of the foghorn came last night when Geno and the Jets broke the huddle just before the last Jets play of the game and the interception by Talib that led to the low hit that led to brawl, that led to the eviction that led to the crowd taking a giant crap on D'Brickashaw Ferguson as he took his jog of shame into the tunnel.

The foghorn is fantastic and the remaining crowd for the brawl were true Spartans.

I hear you all on the acoustics. I was at the 2006(?) AFCCG in Indy and it was so loud my drink was literally vibrating in the cup. That said, again... In the 1st half when the weather was ok on big 3rd downs they panned to the crowd and almost no one was up cheering. And they didn't look "old and rich".

Again, it's a closed-ended stadium that has, at least in part, coverings over the fans. I have actually been to Ali Sami Yen stadium - fun place to watch a soccer game. Comparing soccer fans to NFL fans is moronic - no NFL fanbase is as diehard as most of the nutjobs following top soccer teams. I am not saying the composition of the crowd is irrelevant - it matters a lot. I am just saying that even at the best of times, like 2007, the crowd was really rocking but it never reached the noise level I have heard at other stadiums like the old Mile High or the RCA Dome or pretty much any major college football game I've ever attended (BC aside).

Actually, it sort of highlights the idea that the crowd is the biggest factor.

That stadium has an overhang over the main stand and the back stand. A crowd is a crowd: baseball, football, or curling. The Seahawks stadium, the one you credit for having fantastic acoustics (because it does), has almost 20,000 more seats in the stadium, and, as that article I linked noted, is still about 20 decibels short of the record in their superior stadium.

I think she's cool. I'm not kidding. She's a big girl and she's making it work for herself without embarrassment.

Yeah, but when she gets pissed she takes cheap shots at the knees.

Just got home. A win is a win in my eyes. So sick of all this *****ing...this isn't the 2007 pats people...

On topic:

Once it started to pour..people started to hit the exits in the 3rd...in the 4th it was an exodus to the gates with my section in the 200s 1/3 empty at start of 4th. it's rain...get over it. Horrible job by they fans..no intensity once the rain hit. I stayed until 0:00 BTW

I didn't see anyone "hitting the exits," but the red seats (the clubs) have, you know, clubs. Which were full, and hold a TON of people. Unlike the clubs at Fenway, which are for just a few select sections (the State Street club bathroom has like 3 stalls and four urinals - total), the ones at Gillette are built to hold pretty much the whole damned second level of the stadium. They're HUGE, with many giant bathrooms and one bar/restaurant/DunkinDonuts after another.

So people watched from the windows or under the roof. Or at tables inside with giant screens all around and bars at every turn.

As for the noise, it just doesn't seem to get loud there. I've seen everyone on their feet screaming and it really isn't loud compared to other stadiums. Hell, Fenway is MUCH louder.

Acoustically speaking, for getting a noise advantage, Gillette is a disaster.

Can she rush the passer?

Our stadium is not built to hold noise, so I can understand why it didn't sound loud on TV. But if fans started leaving in the 3rd quarter, that's awful. It's a close game.

That is friggin pitifull. Way too many casual pink hat type fans. Back in the day after a dogfight divisional victory fans wouldn't leave the stadium until forced by security. Unfortunately many of those fans have been 'priced out'

Our stadium is not built to hold noise, so I can understand why it didn't sound loud on TV. But if fans started leaving in the 3rd quarter, that's awful. It's a close game.

People did not leave the stadium in the third quarter. Many folks went to the concourse to avoid getting drenched. For all the whiners, you must consider:

* It POURED during the second half. In ANY NFL stadium, I don't care where, you're going to see people leave their seats when this happens. Gillette was no worse than anywhere else.

* Rain deadens sound.

* Thursday night.

* From where I sat (sec. 227), it was plenty loud when the Green Beans had the ball on third down.

* This game was tediously frustrating. The rookies' dropped passes were major buzz kills. I don't blame Brady for losing it on the sidelines.

* The fog horn is great.

That is friggin pitifull. Way too many casual pink hat type fans. Back in the day after a dogfight divisional victory fans wouldn't leave the stadium until forced by security. Unfortunately many of those fans have been 'priced out'
Shut up.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back