Welcome to PatsFans.com

For those of you that want Nationalized Healthcare..

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by FreeTedWilliams, Feb 2, 2010.

1. FreeTedWilliams

FreeTedWilliams pfadmins PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +568 / 50 / -7

#75 Jersey

Here is someone who has it, COMING TO THE US FOR SURGERY!!!!!

ST. JOHN'S, N.L. -- Newfoundland Premier Danny Williams will undergo heart surgery later this week in the United States.

N.L. Premier Williams set to have heart surgery in U.S.

Heart Surgey no less, if you think that members of Congress are going to be sitting next to you in the waiting room, YOUR NUTS!!!!!!

2. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +817 / 27 / -33

Without knowing the diagnosis, the procedure and availability of that procedure in Canada it is quite difficult to comment...

He will miss the seal hunt though:rolleyes:

3. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +780 / 14 / -6

#24 Jersey

4. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +459 / 12 / -14

We do know that the advocates of nationalized health care and single payer hold up Canada as a shining example of what our health care system should be like.

If a member of the elites has this problem imaging the plight of a poor schulb without the power connections...

5. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +817 / 27 / -33

You need to qualify your comments do not understand "rightie double speak"... "elites"?? "schulb"???

Is Canada a shining example?? Who held it up and when was it done, don't come back with the expected dittohead answer....

6. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,129 / 3 / -10

Medical Center in Lewiston Maine is full of Canadians, down for some serious surgery.

Always remember, if you get something "FREE" it's free for a reason, it's no good.

Obama/Pelosi/Reid can shove their health care up their a$s, the people will never allow it to become law, not in it's present form, the people will take to the streets with their guns before they allow anybody like that Skanky Old Witch Pelosi to dictate to them their "health needs"

America is slowly turning into a Third World Country and we all know how they take care of people like Pelosi/Reid.

7. Teenuh

Teenuh Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Go check out France's healthcare, then we'll see if you want to claim NH doesn't work. ;) And even when you have to wait for certain procedures in Canada, at least you're going to actually GET it. In our country, if you don't have insurance, you're probably out of luck. See the difference? :eek:

I think most people would rather wait and get what they need then not get it at all. lol

8. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +459 / 12 / -14

The procedure isn't available in Canada...

9. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +901 / 7 / -3

That's not exactly true. Socialized medicine works with rationing in mind. It's how they try to keep costs low. Also, IIRC France's system works with a combination of both public, and private care, or insurance. That system is also seeing problems with costs.

10. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +901 / 7 / -3

11. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

So how our health care system treats average, ordinary Americans is irrelevant; but what is relevant is how it treats rich, powerful people from Newfoundland?

He seems like a nice enough guy, I have no problem with him getting his surgery; but is it really sensible to focus our national health care policy on finding innovative ways to treat rich people from other countries?

12. FreeTedWilliams

FreeTedWilliams pfadmins PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +568 / 50 / -7

#75 Jersey

You are completely missing the point, this is not about the US Healthcare system (thankfully it is still intact) it is about socialized medicine in Canada, and what happens when the rich get sick, they flee to "free" countries to heal themsleves. But what happens when there are no more free countries left?

13. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

This is the same Canadian medical system that consistently outperforms ours in every measurable statistic except obscure heart procedures?

Harp all you want about the 0.01% of the time when its best to be in the USA, I'm gonna focus on the 99.99%

14. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +780 / 14 / -6

#24 Jersey

Has anyone ever figured out what it is he's having done???

For all we know it's an experimental procedure being pioneered at some U.S. hospital. All the articles concerning the surgery simply say the "procedure is unavailable in Newfoundland." I can't imagine it's any run-of-the-mill heart surgery because most heart surgeries are pretty commonplace and there's no reason, other than it being experimental or otherwise considered dangerous, which would have it be something only performed here in The States.

Plus I believe I read somewhere that he'd be out of commission for 12 weeks following the surgery and that alone rules out even major procedures. Stents and bypasses and even open heart valve replacements are fairly common and they don't require that long of a recovery period.

Transplant, maybe?

15. Leave No Doubt

Leave No Doubt PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Exactly. The United States was a bastion of healthcare too, the best in the world.

16. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +817 / 27 / -33

If you have a rare disease in the US and there is treatment in an foreign country and you can pay for it.. is that a bad thing??

Not sure what you mean by "free", as in cost or liberty?????

17. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +780 / 14 / -6

#24 Jersey

I've got to second that question. Just what do you mean by "free?" There are 89 free countries in the world - and the USA has just about the worst health care record of any of them. Besides which, our medical system is the opposite of "free."

18. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Hall of Fame Poster

Ratings:
    +564 / 6 / -24

#18 Jersey

I suppose you're actually against people wearing fur coats and having bear rugs Darryl? Are you a Green Peacer?

19. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +817 / 27 / -33

You bet your butt I am, and damned proud.. I bring my own shopping bags to the grocery store, compost all my vegetable waste, have a garden, buy eggs from a local farmer, support Best Friends Animal Society, watch Whale Wars and recycle rabidly.. I am one of those folks who believe that whatever I do has a larger impact.. act locally and think globally..

Last edited: Feb 3, 2010