PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

For the Pats to win we MUST stay ahead or at least tied BY Halftime

Status
Not open for further replies.

PATRIOT64

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
IMO the Patriots in the past 5 years are unbelievable after leading at halftime something like 62-2 and even though I don't believe in past stats as my last post indicated this is a very unbeatable record and since this team is not very capable of coming back from a 10 point deficit nor do we have receivers who can open up the game to catch up we simply cannot fall behind by more than 7 at any given time in this game.
If leading all the way even better,But if we fall down by 10 at any time past the end of the first quarter then start getting ready for the draft in April - WE CANNOT BE BEHIND BY MORE THAN 10,PERIOD!

IMO the Patriots in the past 5 years are unbelievable after leading at halftime something like 62-2 and even though I don't believe in past stats as my last post indicated this is a very unbeatable record and since this team is not very capable of coming back from a 10 point deficit nor do we have receivers who can open up the game to catch up we simply cannot fall behind by more than 7 at any given time in this game.
If leading all the way even better,But if we fall down by 10 at any time past the end of the first quarter then start getting ready for the draft in April - WE CANNOT BE BEHIND BY MORE THAN 10,PERIOD!

For someone who doesn't believe in the predictive capabilities of statistical analysis, you sound mighty sure of yourself!

Thats a shame.. Because it's going to be 17-0 at halftime.. Bolts.

While I agree the best thing for the Pats would be to get ahead early,and put all the pressure on the Bolts.
(Take their fans out of the game and put pressure on their young QB. etc..)
I think the pats are the more physical team and can wear down the chargers if necessary)
AFC west is a weak division,and the Chargers haven't played many physical teams,The pats are very physical and the playoffs always ratchet things up to a new level.
Also don't discount the 2 weeks off for the chargers,There's a good chance the'll be "sky high" at the opening snap,(perhaps rusty)but after getting hit a few times they'll remember all they did regular season means nothing now!

I don't fear getting behind that early,I think we'll wear them down,If behind by 10 or better Late 3rd qtr. that might be a different story;)

For someone who doesn't believe in the predictive capabilities of statistical analysis, you sound mighty sure of yourself!

When a team is 62-2 I believe the probability is much in the favor of the Patriots - Thats like saying if a horse enters a horse race and is 62-2 in his past 64 races I guarantee hes gonna be a heavy favorite.

No,nothing is guaranteed in this world except for death,taxes and NEM adding to anyone's post (just kidding NEM:D ) - So 62-2 is not an automatic but very likely.

Its just a fact that this team is not built to come back from a 10 point deficit especially against the best team recordwise in the NFL - I do not think this team has won this whole year when down by more than 10,have they?

of course any team would like to be up at the half. That being said....keep in mind that Rivers does have the best QB rating of ANY quarterback in the NFL in the 4th quarter.

before you even start......NO, I'm not saying that Rivers is better than Brady and I'm not even saying that I'd rather have Rivers under center than Brady in the 4th quarter of this game.

Last edited:
No disrespect dude but,
You play in the JV divison of afc football.:p
You have no clue about what's about to hit you:D

Contrary to popular opinion and hopeful wishing thinking on the part of Pats Fans, the Bolts are the new definition of "Physicality".

Your team is going to be hit hard, fast, and often from the onset and it will be you who are left with no clue just all red and blue.:)

Well getting ahead is always nice, but against the Chargers it does not mean a win, as we have seen them come from way behind several times this year. If anyone can come back on us late the Chargers have the best chance.

of course any team would like to be up at the half. That being said....keep in mind that Rivers does have the best QB rating of ANY quarterback in the NFL in the 4th quarter.

before you even start......NO, I'm not saying that Rivers is better than Brady and I'm not even saying that I'd rather have Rivers under center than Brady in the 4th quarter of this game.

rivers has the best rating in the 4th quarter b/c LT usually runs for 150 yards in his first 3 carries, and they're just playing martyball and handing it off to turner.....

brady is captain comeback....

rivers has the best rating in the 4th quarter b/c LT usually runs for 150 yards in his first 3 carries, and they're just playing martyball and handing it off to turner.....

brady is captain comeback....

Uhhh yeah.. Handing the ball of to Turner must give him a great rating!

:rolleyes: Do you know anything about football? Seriously?

Its just a fact that this team is not built to come back from a 10 point deficit especially against the best team recordwise in the NFL - I do not think this team has won this whole year when down by more than 10,have they?

FYI, the Patriots have been down by more than 10 only twice all season (we were down 17 to Denver for 5 mins plus our total butt whooping at the hands of Miami). Further, the Patriots have allowed only 20 points or more in 5 games and only in 2 games have they allowed more than 21 (23,27). They have allowed only 51 points in the 4th quarter all year (that's just barely more than a FG per 4th quarter). The Patriots have not been in a position to have to do that this season especially the second half of the season where the passing offense has been clicking a bit better.
Brady is a highly proven clutch player. We do have TE's and Faulk to go out for passes along with actual WR's. The Patriots are plenty capable of coming back from 2 TD's. But you have a point...to a point. You don't want to get down too much to a good team. Bottom line is the Patriots need to play relatively mistake free with solid play on offense and defense (and ST's better be up to snuff too). If we don't, it will be reflected in the score as it develops.
Also, our opponent has many sacks recorded during the season. Let's just say I don't want to see the Patriots in a come from behind mode where SD doesn't have to worry about the run. Know what I mean?

Is there some team that wants to be behind at half time?

Uhhh yeah.. Handing the ball of to Turner must give him a great rating!

:rolleyes: Do you know anything about football? Seriously?

do you?
have you not seen brady rally his team to three superbowls?
You can have your opinion, but I think most people would rather have brady under center in the 4th quarter to win a game.

how does "the team almost always wins when up at halftime" become "the team must be up at halftime to win?" you might want to take a logic course.

as for not down than more by 10 at the half... DUH. any team down by more than 10 at the half is going to lose most of the time.

Contrary to popular opinion and hopeful wishing thinking on the part of Pats Fans, the Bolts are the new definition of "Physicality".

Your team is going to be hit hard, fast, and often from the onset and it will be you who are left with no clue just all red and blue.:)

the Pats played Jacksonville 3 weeks ago and didn't seem to mind the physicality. the truth is that SD is no more physical than either NE or Baltimore. there's no need to pretend you guys have the market cornered.

i prefere we will be ahead at the end

i prefere we will be ahead at the end

"I think that would really help our chances.:D

Hey IP. Did you see this article on Mike Holovak?

http://www.footballresearch.com/articles/frpage.cfm?topic=holovak

"In 1960 Holovak joined the staff of the Boston Patriots in the new American Football League. The next year, when the team started 2-3-1, head coach Lou Saban was fired and Holovak took his place. The Patriots finished the season with seven victories in their last eight games. The transition to winning was essential for the weak Boston franchise and the overall stability of the new league. In a recent article Will McDonough wrote, “Billy Sullivan founded the Patriots, but the guy who saved them was Holovak. It was his personality, and the love his players had for him, that kept the team afloat in its first decade of existence. The team won consistently with the lowest payroll in the league and the worst practice conditions imaginable.” Had the Patriots collapsed, the credibility of the AFL as a major league would have been called into question."

"Mike Holovak retired at the end of the 1998 season. During his long career he did a great deal, but nothing may have been more important than turning the Boston Patriots into winners. Had the franchise collapsed, others in the AFL might have followed. His strength of leadership then marks him as one of the people who should be considered among the league’s founders."

Last edited:
It'll all be said and done by tomorrow night. It's not now. That's why they have those pretty, 100-yard long fields with the lines on them... it's a really good place to determine who's better (not taking anything away from sophisticated analyses like we see here.)

There are a few tangibles (i.e., 10-1 playoff record under BB/Brady,) a lot of intangibles (i.e., a "team w/no quit" versus a "team of destiny" that's this year's steamroller, human interest story stuff,) and a lot of measurables (i.e., LT 8 yards per carry on the left sideline, 4 ypc on the right; Rivers' interceptions coming throwing to the left; various equivalents for aspects of both teams...) all of which means exactly ****, when it comes right down to predicting a winner -- all it tells you is what one can game-plan for.

SD should be properly wary of the Pats. I think the Pats have a healthy respect for SD.

I can talk smack and say I know this and that is going to happen, and so can Bolts fans... I dunno. Screaming after 10 beers, smack talk makes much more sense than it does typed on a computer sober.

The outcome is unknown, as of today. It will be known as of tomorrow night. If this shapes up like it should, it looks like a classic playoff battle.

But if any of you lamers turn off the TV if a team is down by 10 at the half, do yourself and real fans a favor and stop pretending you're a fan.

PFnV

"I think that would really help our chances.:D

Hey IP. Did you see this article on Mike Holovak?

"In a recent article Will McDonough wrote, “Billy Sullivan founded the Patriots, but the guy who saved them was Holovak. It was his personality, and the love his players had for him, that kept the team afloat in its first decade of existence. The team won consistently with the lowest payroll in the league and the worst practice conditions imaginable.” Had the Patriots collapsed, the credibility of the AFL as a major league would have been called into question."

for me this was 'new' - thks

you seriously think the patriots dolphins and bills are better than the Chargers Chiefs and Broncos? The faiders are the only team that is crap.

I would agree that the AFC West is no pushover division. However, the AFC East was a lot tougher than anticipated this year, with both the Jets and Bills usually providing some stout competition.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes