PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

For the 2016 Pats to be in/win SB 51 the D has to improve ALOT

Status
Not open for further replies.

English Patriot

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
I know we're missing IMO one of if not the best linebacker out there in Collins (certainly the most athletically gifted along with Mack) but this defense is giving me all the vibes of defense's past that let Tom and the offense down for years in the playoffs until we beat Seattle in 2015.

Now i'm not saying that doesn't mean other teams don't have their own s**t to sort out too but i don't care much for the others because we can only control what goes on in Foxborough and the way i see it this offense is only heading one way. The defense on the other hand, although EVENTUALLY coming good in games, can't expect this trick to work in crunch time come January and hope #12, #87 and the others to bail them out once more.

Anyone else concerned that we're not getting that high level of performance we got a few years ago? Also how close is this D to the finished article because i believe that is key, because if there is room for improvement then that's a great sign but if what we are is the way we will be then i'm not ready to coronate yet like many people seem to be doing.

Last edited:
It was looking like the defense wasn't going to be acceptable for a while, but with the emergence of Rowe, there is some hope going forward.

Overall they have allowed least points per game in the AFC (2rd in league behind Minn)and in the last four games, they have allowed 4 TDs, and 6 FGs... They aren't the '85 Bears but this is the best Pats defense in a few years and they are working in players to replace injured ones.. Always room for improvement but this defense is capable of winning the SB more so if Brady keeps the offense humming along......

My only concern with them is they're not forcing a lot of turnovers. That's usually a hallmark of this d. They tend to have a bend but don't break game plan and gave a up a lot of Yards but held one of the best wr in the league to 88 Yards. A complete shutdown defense would be nice but I think they're getting to where they need to be.

So we have the best D in the Conf and second best in the NFL but we have to improve A LOT to win while we have TB literally playing the best football of his career statistically with plenty of weapons and Dion Lewis coming back?

Yeah, this place is scary.

If a pass rush isn't developed, number 5 is more unlikely than likely

3rd in PPG allowed just isn't going to cut it. Clearly we have no shot at a SB with such a poor defense.
Really? You clearly know what i mean, those stats go out the window in those big games. It comes down to who's defense is best equipped being under intense pressure and standing ground. This Pats D is good but don't tell me you are 100% confident that they will get a stop after Tom and the offense do their part like they usually do.

In other news:

sky-is-falling-2.jpg

Really? You clearly know what i mean, those stats go out the window in those big games. It comes down to who's defense is best equipped being under intense pressure and standing ground. This Pats D is good but don't tell me you are 100% confident that they will get a stop after Tom and the offense do their part like they usually do.

In which big games has this defense disappointed you so far?

Personally, yes - I'm very confident this defense can play well enough to win #5. This defense is better than the one in 2014.

Can they do it (rush the passer)...with the guys they have?

Well, given the fact that they pressured the hell out of Dalton today, I would say that they certainly can rush the passer fairly well.

They are stopping other teams from scoring points and are the best at it in the conference. That is the only kind of stop I care about. Style does not win games, numbers do.

They are stopping other teams from scoring points and are the best at it in the conference. That is the only kind of stop I care about. Style does not win games, numbers do.
Fair enough but the playoffs are a different animal my friend, it's all well and good stopping Cincy at home in the regular season....

but this defense is giving me all the vibes of defense's past that let Tom and the offense down for years in the playoffs until we beat Seattle in 2015.

I don't think that's a fair or accurate statement. Sure, the defense has struggled at times over the years in playoff losses. But so has the offense.

In 2007, we'll remember that last drive and I don't want to go into details, but the D gave up 17 points. That was a winnable game.

2009 and 2010 you could pin on the D, although I'd argue the offense did pretty much nothing in 2010 and consistently put the D in a bad spot. 2011, they gave up 21 points in a winnable game if Wes ****ing catches that ****ing pass and holy **** I STILL can't believe he dropped that.

2012 and 2013 weren't great performances by the D, but it's not like the O was doing much to help either. And 2015, they held the Broncos to 20 at their place. That's on the O.

Oddly, the 2014 D gets a pass because of the Super Bowl win, but they gave up 31 points at home against the Ravens, and 24 to the Seahawks in the Super Bowl. But they give up 17 and 21 in the Giants losses and it's their fault we lost.

So it's not fair to blame the D whenever this team doesn't win a championship. The offense also shares much of the blame too. It's a team game, and we don't always lose because of our D alone.

Fair enough but the playoffs are a different animal my friend, it's all well and good stopping Cincy at home in the regular season....
Ok so the D is actually really excellent but we have to not give them credit because they were playing the Bengals at home.

whatever..

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey