BadMoFo

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
Reaction score
What a shocking development.

Sources: Raiders finally fire Kiffin, consider promoting assistants
By Chris Mortensen
ESPN.com

Updated: September 30, 2008, 12:56 PM ET

The inevitable became reality Tuesday when Lane Kiffin was fired by Oakland Raiders owner Al Davis without pay via the telephone, according to team sources.

Tom Cable, the team's offensive line coach, was emerging as the leading candidate to replace Kiffin, a source said. Cable was among three coaches interviewed by Davis on Monday night; the others were offensive coordinator Greg Knapp and special consultant Paul Hackett.

Davis is expected to have a press conference later today to explain his decision to dismiss Kiffin.

Unlike the St. Louis Rams, who fired coach Scott Linehan on Monday, the news was not delivered by Davis in a face-to-face meeting. Kiffin was notified by a team executive Tuesday morning that Davis would call him at 9:15 a.m. PST to relieve the coach of his duties. The call came shortly after that time.

Linehan also was allowed to speak briefly with his players on Monday. Kiffin will not be afforded the same opportunity, a source said.

The news did not blindside Kiffin, who was informed by a team executive that he would be fired after the Raiders 24-23 loss to the Buffalo Bills in week three. Even though Davis didn't act a week ago, as Kiffin was told, many team insiders expected the Oakland owner to fire the coach during this bye week.

The Raiders are 1-3, having blown leads in the fourth quarter to the Bills and the San Diego Chargers. During Kiffin's 20-game tenure, in which the team was 5-15, the Raiders took leads into the fourth quarter of 11 games.

Davis hired Kiffin, who was USC's offensive coordinator at the time, as the NFL's youngest coach at 31 years old in February 2007. Even though many observers questioned the hiring, Kiffin ultimately gained respect around the league for fielding a significantly more competitive team than the Raiders had displayed before he was hired.

Despite being competitive in the majority of games, Kiffin and Davis had a falling out on several fronts, starting when Davis believed Kiffin expressed private interest in the head coaching position at the University of Arkansas during the 2007 season.

However, it was well-documented that their relationship disintegrated when Kiffin attempted to fire defensive coordinator Rob Ryan after the 2007 season. A source said Kiffin suggested to Davis that the owner had reneged on an agreement that the coach would have control over his own staff. Shortly thereafter, Davis sent a letter of resignation for Kiffin to sign, sources said. Kiffin declined.

Kiffin also opposed some of Davis' big free-agent signings such as wide receiver Javon Walker and, to a lesser degree, cornerback DeAngelo Hall, sources said. Kiffin also expressed public frustration that the team was not more aggressive in claiming other team's released players via the waiver process to strengthen the bottom of the roster.

However, a Raiders source said that Davis privately sent a letter to Kiffin after the season's opening-game loss to the Broncos, attempting to "document" that the coach approved of the off-season acquisitions. A source close to Kiffin described that claim as "fiction."

Re: OT: For reals this time, Kiffin fired

Good. Now he can get back to college football where he belongs.

That Al Davis is one Bad mofo

That Al Davis is one Bad mofo

And anybody who works for him is nuts. You know you are going to get fired and he will try to renege on paying the remainder of the contract.......
Hope the upfront money is worth it because you always know how this movie is going to end.......

The raider situation reminds me of the Bruins except that Jacobs is not as flamboyant. Neither organization will win as long as their owners continue to run things, and unfortunately they will both pass on before that happens.

Last edited:

How unprofessional and gutless. He informs Kiffin over the phone and tells him he's not going to get paid the balance of his contract. Good luck fighting that in court Al.

:idontgetit: why would someone go into the season with a coach they are willing to fire 4 weeks in. This goes for the Rams too if it was that bad than maybe you shuld have done more in the offseason.

The inevitable became reality Tuesday when Lane Kiffin was fired by Oakland Raiders owner Al Davis without pay via the telephone, according to team sources.

Does he also think he is above the law?

i think kiffin would have made at the very least an average NFL coach...

actually, personally i think he would have been a pretty damn good coach, top 10 in the league...

but he went to oakland, and the rest is history...

(if BB were to hire him, for any reason, i sure wouldnt be disapointed)

i think kiffin would have made at the very least an average NFL coach...

actually, personally i think he would have been a pretty damn good coach, top 10 in the league...

but he went to oakland, and the rest is history...

(if BB were to hire him, for any reason, i sure wouldnt be disapointed)

kiffin will be a good coach in this league or in college. he wasn't bad with the raiders. he was doing a pretty good job with an extremely young team. someone needs to fire al davis.

Well unfortunately the good discussion we had going about this got erased during the server switch, so I'll start over.

Funny thing is, one of Davis' laundry list of complaints was that Kiffin made derogatory remarks about the team to the media. My first thought was, "Can you blame him?" and then my second thought was, "Maybe I'm a hypocrite since I called out Parcells for doing the same thing in NE."

But that's a mountain and a molehill. Kraft and Parcells didn't see eye to eye, and Kraft may have overstepped his bounds (depending on one's POV) during the '96 draft. However, I don't think Kraft ever overruled Parcells on coaching personnel decisions, nor did he ever send Parcells a "resignation" letter to try to get out of paying him.

The other thing is I hope Davis really gets socked on this one. I heard on some show that 1) this isn't just the second but the THIRD time he's tried to get out of paying a fired coach (Mike Shanahan and Joe Bugel), and 2) apparently the coaches have a union now like the players so there most likely will be a grievance filed. Goodell may even have to step in.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: Davis was very instrumental in working out the AFL-NFL merger and making the game what it is today. Ever since then, however, he's been little more than a royal pain in the butt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes