Welcome to PatsFans.com

For-pay fire department lets man's house burn

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Holy Diver, Oct 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

This can't be true?

"The homeowner, Gene Cranick, said he offered to pay whatever it would take for firefighters to put out the flames, but was told it was too late. They wouldn't do anything to stop his house from burning.

Each year, Obion County residents must pay $75 if they want fire protection from the city of South Fulton. But the Cranicks did not pay.

The mayor said if homeowners don't pay, they're out of luck."

Firefighters watch as home burns to the ground | WPSD Local 6 - News, Sports, Weather - Paducah KY | Local
  2. reflexblue

reflexblue PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0

I thought this was going to be about a For Profit Fire Department. That the residents voted to cut taxes and the fire dep. was privatetized. Its gonna happen somewhere.
  3. khayos

khayos Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Guy probably thought that his neighbors would continue to foot the cost of the bill rather than him... offer at the scene, while heartbreaking, doesn't really help. As he hadn't opted in to the service, there probably would have been hell to pay for the firefighters if they did try to help him -- they might get fined or lose their own jobs.
  4. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

the fact that they stood there and watched the house burn is the most sickening part.
  5. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

The fact that people consider firefighting a 'service' sucks
  6. khayos

khayos Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

And if they did help, they probably would have gotten suspended and possibly sued; moreover, I doubt the guy would ever pay his full bill.
  7. khayos

khayos Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

It's certainly not charity work...
  8. The Brandon Five

The Brandon Five Rookie

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0

Last edited: Oct 4, 2010
  9. The Brandon Five

The Brandon Five Rookie

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0

I feel bad for this guy. It reminds me of the argument earlier this year about pre-existing conditions. The danger with things like that is that people only pay when they "need" it, leaving inadequate funding when losses occur (you need a large number of people who do not have fires paying a small fee to ensure that there will be help when one of them needs it).
  10. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

11. apple strudel

apple strudel Banned

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

In Rome, Marcus Crassus ran a for profit fire department. When a fire would break out he would purchase the buildings near it for cut rate prices before he would put out the fire. Talk about abuse. There was also a case when an electric company in Michigan recently turned off the power in somebody's house and an old man wound up dying. Capitalism at its finest! :americaflag:
  12. khayos

khayos Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

This is more akin to rationing -- which you'll see more and more of.
  13. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

How anyone could defend this sub-human behavior is beyond me. They just sat there and waited for it to spread to a house that mattered.
  14. apple strudel

apple strudel Banned

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

No, it is called cornering the market, or monopolistic practice.
  15. The Brandon Five

The Brandon Five Rookie

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0

Why couldn't the cops help?
  16. TBradyOwnsYou

TBradyOwnsYou Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Sounds like he's an idiot. 75 bucks? Really? Less than a quarter a day for fire protection and you don't pay it?
    If they HAD put out the fire guess what? NO ONE would pay the 75 dollars anymore and then the fire department would not be able to operate and then ALL fires would rage on uncontrolled as there would be NO ONE to put them out.
    The fire department did what they did for the greater good of the community.
  17. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

...communist!...:bricks:
  18. The Brandon Five

The Brandon Five Rookie

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0

As with all monopolies it would be one that was enabled by the government. Competition would imply that multiple firefighting units exist in each municipality.
  19. The Brandon Five

The Brandon Five Rookie

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0

This.

By not paying the fee he assumed the risk.

I wonder how this will be treated by his insurance company?
  20. The Brandon Five

The Brandon Five Rookie

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0

No, no, no. I represent the evil insurance companies. You know, the ones that pay to rebuild houses after they burn down.
  21. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Here's an idea, maybe if there weren't so many people who resent every dime they pay in taxes then dirtbag politicians who constantly promise to lower them wouldn't get elected and the community would have the necessary tax revenue to pay a proper fire department.
  22. Real World

Real World Rookie

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -1

My initial reaction is WTF? Then I read the article.

If I'm reading this correctly, the fire department in question, isn't from the city where the fire happened, and the owner of the home is a resident. I'm assuming his town doesn't have a fire department then. That outside residents like he, who don't pay property taxes to the town of South Fulton, are required to pay $75 toward that departments costs, if they want it's protection. It's an odd deal, but why should the people who pay taxes in that city, pay for this guys protection too? $75 doesn't seem like a lot, especially if you're not paying taxes for your own local fire department. The guy knew what the deal was too:

You thought wrong pal. $75 and your home burned down. Hope you got that insurance.

A couple of points of my own:

I thought this was a town charging its residents separately, for a service their taxes should provide. It's not. The town residents are covered. Outsiders aren't. If this were a deal where the city of Chelsea were charging me property tax, and then demanding I pay for fire protection on top of that, separately none the less, "or else", then I'd be fumed. However, if people in Revere think I'm going to pay for my fire department, so they can use it for free, they got another thing coming. Burn baby burn I say.

While I'm not sure I could sit there and watch the house burn down, I have to applaud the principled take by the people involved. As unfortunate as it is, you can bet your arse anyone, and everyone, in Obion County who didn't pay the $75, is at the South Fulton city hall with cash in hand. Sucks I know, but an example was set, and the rules were abided by. That means lessons were most likely learned.

All that being said, the services provided by a fire department, are essential, and should be part of one's property taxes. They shouldn't be an "extra" to residents of a town, who pay taxes to it.
  23. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

Fire insurance is good...if you want it. If you own your house outright, you can opt out of it. That is if you're a fool.

There is no firefighter insurance...or is there?...dunno. You're talking about taxes, I think.
  24. apple strudel

apple strudel Banned

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

Indeed, which is precisely why this is a monopolistic practice. Note that capitalists would prefer not to compete if possible since it is the best position to be in to maximize profits. But this story also speaks to the abuse possible with private versus public organizations, especially those supposed to serve the public interest.
  25. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

I think its a safety thing...Cops arent supposed to fight fires, firemen are.

I'll talk to my father in law who is a fire chief in AZ, and my brother in law, who is a cop. But I'm pretty sure if a building is too dangerous to enter, they'd rather keep casualties at a minimum.

It just seems like decency toward our fellow man has been divided by money...it sucks, thats all.
  26. apple strudel

apple strudel Banned

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

Principle would be putting out the fire even if the guy didn't pay.
  27. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

hahahaha...EXACTLY!
  28. Real World

Real World Rookie

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -1

Clearly no one read the article. The guy who's house burned down, doesn't live in the city of that fire department. He lives in Obion, and the Fire Department is from South Fulton. That's why people like him (those who live in Obion, and don't pay property taxes to South Fulton, who pay for the firemen) are required to pay the $75 for protection.

This is in some ways an example of the welfare state, and what it does to the mindset of some in society. The guy in question didn't want to pay the measley $75 toward the cost of the fire department. He knew about it, but he figured "they'd put it out anyway", if he didn't pay. So he intentionally didn't pay because he expected someone else would pay for it. I mean, afterall, what are they gonna do, not put it out? Um, yup. Good for them I say.
  29. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

What about that ship captain that got taken hostage off the coast of Africa? If he had been lets say $30,000 behind on his income taxes would the Navy have been in the right to say tough luck buddy?

There's certain professions that are supposed to exist above petty, money grubbing concerns. Think of the difference between soldiers and mercenaries. Consider the fact that its a serious violation of the Hippocratic oath for a Jewish doctor to refuse to treat an Arab patient. Do you think the firefighters from here in Boston who jumped in their cars and headed down I84 on September 11th were planning on asking for pay when they got to New York?
  30. Real World

Real World Rookie

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -1

Bull****. Spoken like a true welfare repicient, who has no belief in personal accountability. Principle says you follow the rules.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.