PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

For MichiganDave, Henson won't make roster says Parcells.

Status
Not open for further replies.

texpat

Practice Squad Player
Reaction score
FYI

Today at press conference, Parcells saying Henson will not make roster.

texpat said:
FYI

Today at press conference, Parcells saying Henson will not make roster.

Well, there's the difference between master and pupil. Would Belichick EVER say such a thing publicly about a player currently on the roster? You'd either have to be the world's worst man-manager or the world's best to do that sort of thing.

Mike the Brit said:
Well, there's the difference between master and pupil. Would Belichick EVER say such a thing publicly about a player currently on the roster? You'd either have to be the world's worst man-manager or the world's best to do that sort of thing.

That was the first thing I thought too. I can only hope that the coach and the player had talked about it before hand.

Wow. That sucks. I hope Drew catches on somewhere. He's a good guy, and has a ton of potential.

Forget about the personal slight to Henson, its just a dumb business move. Why announce to the world you are cutting a former top prospect. Considering the stiffs a lot of teams are starting at QB, let alone rostering as backups, someone would surely be willing to part with a Day 2 pick for a guy with Henson's chimeral "upside."

tombonneau said:
Forget about the personal slight to Henson, its just a dumb business move. Why announce to the world you are cutting a former top prospect. Considering the stiffs a lot of teams are starting at QB, let alone rostering as backups, someone would surely be willing to part with a Day 2 pick for a guy with Henson's chimeral "upside."

Or suppose Tony Romo got hit by a bus on the way to practice tomorrow.

Why would any coach ever announce that a player won't make the roster before he's actually cut? And Parcells isn't stupid.... It's mighty tempting to come up with wild theories that, say, Jones didn't want him to cut Henson so he's forcing the issue. As I say, just wild theories...;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Parcells did say that Henson had been notified, and it came down to Rookie - Matt Baker from NC earning the 3rd spot.

Parcells did say he would elaborate more at a later date and seemed to imply something was in the works.

In Dallas I hope we have had the last baseball playing QB, Q Carter, C Hutchinson, D Henson.

Last edited:
Wow ...

You could see this coming. Mr. Henson played 0 minute in pre-season.

But you have to wonder what Mr. Henson did for Mr. Parcell to publicly humiliate him.

mikey said:
Wow ...

But you have to wonder what Mr. Henson did for Mr. Parcell to publicly humiliate him.

Probably told him he liked playing for the Yankees better.

mikey said:
Wow ...

He was Jerry's guy. Talking to Drew, he said he never felt he had a fair shot there. Parcells wanted to make the team his, and squash any thought that he would be another Switzer/Campo who swooned at Jerry's beck and call. Jones wanted Henson to start, and made that known. Parcells started him on Thanksgiving 2 years ago, pulled him at halftime, and then was pretty much done with him. It's how Parcells is (Pats fans know how he likes "his" guys) and unfortunately for Drew, his dream of being a Cowboy is over. He'll catch on. Trust me, his upside is amazing.

SeanBruschi54 said:
Probably told him he liked playing for the Yankees better.

Maybe Henson should go back to playing for the Yankees.

I am sure he is better than the guy playing on third base now.

Michigan Dave said:
Trust me, his upside is amazing.

You don't win football games with upside.

Any chance BB signs him as a total pisstake. Just to cater to Brady's ego. You just know Tom would love having Henson back up his back up. :)

primetime said:
You don't win football games with upside.

Very true. However, you also don't realize potential by not getting reps.

tombonneau said:
Any chance BB signs him as a total pisstake. Just to cater to Brady's ego. You just know Tom would love having Henson back up his back up. :)

Tommy and Drew are friends, so it would be welcomed by Tommy. Drew did (for a little while) backup his backup (Scott Dreisbach) at Michigan in 1998 before beating out Dreisbach and being the backup in week 1.

Michigan Dave said:
Very true. However, you also don't realize potential by not getting reps.

True as well. I just have a sneaking suspicion that Henson's one of those guys who will just never reach their upside. He might kick around the league for years as a backup, but I don't think he'll ever be a quality starter.

Michigan Dave said:
He was Jerry's guy. Talking to Drew, he said he never felt he had a fair shot there. Parcells wanted to make the team his, and squash any thought that he would be another Switzer/Campo who swooned at Jerry's beck and call. Jones wanted Henson to start, and made that known. Parcells started him on Thanksgiving 2 years ago, pulled him at halftime, and then was pretty much done with him. It's how Parcells is (Pats fans know how he likes "his" guys) and unfortunately for Drew, his dream of being a Cowboy is over. He'll catch on. Trust me, his upside is amazing.

Thak's what the Yankees thought too. Bunk. He's just a college wonderboy QB who was told since HS there was nothing he couldn't do. The NFL is littered with such notable talents. Brady survived him and surpassed him because when he never felt he had a fair shot at Michigan or in the NFL he just worked harder and forced them to give him his due. Henson is now and has always been a quitter, and that is what Parcells likely can't stand about him.

TO was Jerry's boy too. And Romo was Jerry's boy before Henson was. Parcell's doesn't care whose boy is out their as long as he goes out a winner. If he thought Henson wasn't a stiff he would not hesitate to keep him and use him. He knows the pre season has changed little, the other Drew looks fine now but he will fade like a cheap suit down the stretch because that is what he is. No way Parcell's cuts a guy who would come in handy in that liklihood - particularly for a rookie from NC State he could stash on the PS.

Who knew 2 years ago that Matt Cassel would wind up being better than Drew Henson. Poor Drew wound up stinking at both Baseball AND Football. He isn't the first ubertalent not to make it. Hopefully he winds up somewhere where they let him play, in the NFL I mean.

MoLewisrocks said:
Thak's what the Yankees thought too. Bunk. He's just a college wonderboy QB who was told since HS there was nothing he couldn't do. The NFL is littered with such notable talents. Brady survived him and surpassed him because when he never felt he had a fair shot at Michigan or in the NFL he just worked harder and forced them to give him his due. Henson is now and has always been a quitter, and that is what Parcells likely can't stand about him.

TO was Jerry's boy too. And Romo was Jerry's boy before Henson was. Parcell's doesn't care whose boy is out their as long as he goes out a winner. If he thought Henson wasn't a stiff he would not hesitate to keep him and use him. He knows the pre season has changed little, the other Drew looks fine now but he will fade like a cheap suit down the stretch because that is what he is. No way Parcell's cuts a guy who would come in handy in that liklihood - particularly for a rookie from NC State he could stash on the PS.

No, not true at all. While Drew was probably the greatest HS athlete ever in MI, he busted his ass and worked harder than most guys. To say that Tommy surpassed him because he didn't think he had a fair shot is ridiculous. Tommy and Drew both worked their asses off, the only difference is that Drew was a better baseball prospect, and got caught up in the Yankee mystique. Drew wanted to play football, but wanted to be a Yankee. He wanted to be a Yankee, not a baseball player. He was nowhere near the baseball talent as he was football. He was the real-life Cerrano, couldn't hit a curve. In football, he was the real deal. I've never seen as polished a college QB as Drew. He was the sure #1 pick had he stayed for his senior year (he even had a Texans hat he used to wear around). I think Dallas was the wrong place for him to try and work the rust off, but still believe he'll succeed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back