PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

For Long Time Fans: What stud player from the past did you most fear losing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Others have said it, but Curtis Martin.

Including guys still playing in "from the past," I'd add Asante. In recent years, I was pretty much universally an "In Piolichick I Trust" person, but not getting a deal done with him is the only move they made that I question. It's now a year later and BB was still plugging the gap at FA time.

I'd put Number Four in the mix only because I still don't know why BB didn't go for the FG at fourth and forever in a dome in an SB game that we lost by three. For all of the good things Ghost has done (and I was never among those who were against him simply because he wasn't Adam), including making the Pro Bowl, he still hasn't come close to making anything like the first Snow Bowl Kick (the one that sent it to OT and that has been called by many the greatest clutch kick in NFL history) and the SB XXXVI and XXXVIII winning kicks.

Yeah, Ty Law too.

Last edited:
I don't know. I was too young at those 70's games to really know what i was watching, but my dad says Haynes was THE best corner we ever had. He also thinks Stanley Morgan was the best WR......better than Moss :eek:

Morgan was an outstanding clutch receiver in his time and back then in the 70s and early 80s I would put him in the top 50 overall receivers in that era - Unless Moss plays here and well enough and consistently for the next few years,I can hardly see Morgan fans changing thier mind.

Curtis Martin was brutal, as was Robert Edwards who I thought was the second coming.

Curtis Martin and Ty Law. It took years to get a real great back to replace Martin and we have never really replaced Law completely.

Last edited:
Michael Haynes, no doubt.

As we look at a year of significant players hitting FA next year, and most of us feel Vince is the most important one to retain, I wonder who are the Vince Wilfork's and Richard Seymour's of the past?

Are there players in the teams history that were still ballers but were considered a risk to move on that made you legitimately worried about how they would be replaced? Who? Why?

Looking forward to some retrospect from the guys and gals who lived through the lean years of Patriot's football.

you mean fans before 01? good luck

A few people come to mind:

1. Curtis Martin

2. Lawyer Milloy

3. Ty Law

4. Asante Samuel

5. Adam Vinatieri

Ty Law was the most frustrating for me because he was my favorite player at the time. I almost blew a gasket when Vinatieri was extended, especially when I found out he was going to the Colts. I remember being upset about Branch, but I got over that rather quickly, especially when compared to the others I listed. Also, I remember being upset when I found out Damien Woody was gone, but that actually worked out better for the Pats.

Last edited:
This is going to sound a little bizarre, but here's a wild card name to throw out there: Drew Bledsoe...

After the magical 2001 ride, it was pretty evident that Brady >>> Bledsoe, but this was still the man with a $100 million arm, and he was going to a divisional rival?? I dreaded those two Bills games in 2002 (which, of course, the Pats won handily). New England pretty much owned Drew through 2004 (save the Lawyer Milloy bowl, of course), but at the time of that trade, I wished he had gone anywhere but Buffalo.

I'm with you... Bledsoe really worried me... I love TB now.... but after that pretty little pass to the corner of the endzone vs. Pitt... I was REALLY worried with him going up to BUFF... I was too little to really be upset (was 7 and... as with most little kid I followed the team but REALLY followed my fav player... Grogan)...with the Haynes trade... but that one HAS to be the ONE that killed most folks that could really follow football then... just my two cents, though.

Michael Haynes without question. He was the best CB in the league in his prime. It sucked to see him to go to the Raiders.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back