PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

For Long Time Fans: What stud player from the past did you most fear losing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
But we could probably get those guys to sign Vet Min contracts now, couldn't we? ;)
There are many that surely believe that Haynes would have been a welcome addition to the secondary last year.

I remember being worried about Milloy given how quickly it seemed to happen
(or maybe I just had a crap attention span for offseason stuff), and that doubt was only reafirmed when the Bills spanked us in the season opener. Then of course Big Ted W, Curtis, and Law. When Coates went I was young enough I didn't really appreciate him. My first football memory was Ben dragging two or three Jesters into/close to the end-zone to take the lead (?maybe pull within striking distance...this was the earlier Bledsoe years I believe =) to be shortly followed by excellent NE Kick coverage which resulted in a Ny td, or maybe just a bomb...in any case the Jests punched one quickly in responce and that was that. My dad simply laughed and said "Thats why they call them the Jets." Hmmm, maybe not the clearest of memories, but I know it took 3 guys to take Coates down!

And Deltha O'No was almost a quality backup last year:rolleyes:

Ted Washington with the Pats in 2003 - 45 tackles - Defense ranked 4th in the league

Keith Traylor with the Pats in 2004 - 33 tackles - 98.3 average per game allowed against the run - Defense ranked 6th in 2004

Thats not considered close by you??? - idiot

Last edited:
The '03-'04 defense was the best defense I've witnessed as a Pats fan, and no, I don't think Traylor had the same impact on a game as big Ted did. '04-'05 was good, but not as dominate as the year before. Although, its a good thing Washington left when he did, otherwise we might not have snagged Wilfork in the '04 draft.

You can regurgitate stats and fling poo?! Aww thats too bad, I'm fresh out of cookies.

Curtis Martin.

I'll second this. I'm only 22 and have been watching for half as long as most of you so Martin is the only stud loss I can remember. Although I'm not sure if I actually feared losing him (I was really young at the time and just getting into football).

Nick Buoniconti
Mike Haynes
John Hannah

Canton bound all...

This is going to sound a little bizarre, but here's a wild card name to throw out there: Drew Bledsoe...

After the magical 2001 ride, it was pretty evident that Brady >>> Bledsoe, but this was still the man with a $100 million arm, and he was going to a divisional rival?? I dreaded those two Bills games in 2002 (which, of course, the Pats won handily). New England pretty much owned Drew through 2004 (save the Lawyer Milloy bowl, of course), but at the time of that trade, I wished he had gone anywhere but Buffalo.

As we look at a year of significant players hitting FA next year, and most of us feel Vince is the most important one to retain, I wonder who are the Vince Wilfork's and Richard Seymour's of the past?

Are there players in the teams history that were still ballers but were considered a risk to move on that made you legitimately worried about how they would be replaced? Who? Why?

Looking forward to some retrospect from the guys and gals who lived through the lean years of Patriot's football.

That's easy for Me ,it was Mike Haynes when He was traded to The Raiders.He was the best at his position nat the time of the trade and he was also a great punt returner.He had talents that the Patriots have never replaced and I include Ty Law in that comment.Mike Haynes and Ray Claiborne were the best pair of Cornerbacks that The Patriots ever had.

In no particular order;

Drew Bledsoe
Curtis Martin
Willie Mac
Ben Coates
Lawyer Milloy
Ty Law
Only one of these proved to be devestating....Martin :mad:

How about Daryl Stingley?

Last edited:
For all those Vince fans with short memories.....Ted Washington.....He left and we havent won a super bowl since.

He wasn't on the team when the Pats beat the Eagles. Keith Traylor was.

The most shocking was Lawyer Milloy, five days before the season. I was like WTF!

Last edited:
For me it was Curtis Martin, then Lawyer Milloy but overall there's been quite a few and I can't disagree with any players named so far :( It's always sad to see these guys go; Big Willie was killer for me, too.

Adam Vinatieri was another shocker, though like most of BB's cuts it was the right thing to do.

Curtis Martin for me as well. I think it really sucks when they go to a team that you have to root against as well (in the case of Curtis and Vinatieri)

Curtis Martin for me as well. I think it really sucks when they go to a team that you have to root against as well (in the case of Curtis and Vinatieri)

C-Mart was the only Jet ever that I actually pulled for when he wasnt playing the Pats. Just couldnt dislike the guy.

I'd have to say David Patten, and i still can't believe we got rid of Stallworth.

It's hard for me to pick anyone in the BB era (cept for maybe in the early days) because I have built up so much faith in his decision making.

Before BB got here... losing a stud player really hurt because they were few and far between when NOBODY wanted to play here. You just never knew when the next one was going to come along. Even losing an old Ben Coates stung when it happened.

Last edited:
C-Mart was the only Jet ever that I actually pulled for when he wasnt playing the Pats. Just couldnt dislike the guy.

I didn't dislike him after I left, but I can't say I pulled for him either. I just hoped he wouldn't have big games against the Pats I guess.

Agree- we've learned to trust BB because as shocking as some of his cuts have been, he's been proven right and most fans understand this. BB's got a pretty good track record:D, my money's always on him not on the pundits or the fans. He's blue chip, you just can't bet against success:nono:

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes