PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

For everyone who wants us to sign big names instead of role players

Status
Not open for further replies.

spacecrime

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
Reaction score
Remember the words of J. R. R. Tolkein from The Lord of the Ring's first book, The Fellowship of the Ring:

All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

From the ashes a fire shall be woken,
A light from the shadows shall spring;
Renewed shall be blade that was broken,
The crownless again shall be king

Or they could remember that both last season and this one, the Patriots have signed the biggest name in free agency.

Remember the words of J. R. R. Tolkein from The Lord of the Ring's first book, The Fellowship of the Ring:

All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

From the ashes a fire shall be woken,
A light from the shadows shall spring;
Renewed shall be blade that was broken,
The crownless again shall be king
I think you somehow you got lost. this Messeage Board if about "Football"

I just posted this in another thread, but its the same idea:

I know John Clayton might have us in the loser section of Free Agency (;)) and Michael Felger might think we've sat and twiddled our thumbs to start free agency :)bricks:), we've re-signed all the important components we needed, too (MOSS, Wash, Gaff, Bruschi, Izzo, Paxton), addressed depth at DB (Williams, Webster, Sanders), with enough cap space to go after a couple more players and enough picks to add between 2-5 contributors via the draft.

Bottom line: I truly think the 2008 Patriots will be a stronger team than the 2007 team that just went 18-1. Bad news for the rest of the NFL.

I think we have an excellent solid start to the offseason. If this Atlanta linebacker is ready to make his mark after the injury, he almost seems from central casting.

He's got a few years in the league, good size for our system and speed and he seems hungry to make his mark.

I scoffed at the Pats finding such a young, but not inexperienced candidate, so let's give them the benefit of the doubt.

Of course I'm projecting, it's always possible he can't play or doesn't have the attitude.

I would love to ask BB or Pioli what the magic formula is that makes a 3 year experienced backup OK, but a rookie years away.

Why is it so different from other positions, especially since there seems to be bigger LBs in college these days and some 3-4 teams?

I just posted this in another thread, but its the same idea:
You have Moss in Capitals, thats strange, cuz this is your quote on Moss-

Character is debatable, production isn't. Moss is not the same threat he was in his prime.

The point is, this guy is not the monster he once was, and his production isn't worth the headache he is, the contract he carries with him, or the draft picks required to get him. End of story.

You have Moss in Capitals, thats strange, cuz this is your quote on Moss-

Character is debatable, production isn't. Moss is not the same threat he was in his prime.

The point is, this guy is not the monster he once was, and his production isn't worth the headache he is, the contract he carries with him, or the draft picks required to get him. End of story.

That was sarcasm right? Cuz I'm pretty sure someone just caught more TDs than any other receiver in a season in NFL history.

I think you somehow you got lost. this Messeage Board if about "Football"
So are you implying that all football fans have a "dumb jock" mentality and don't appreciate good writing?

Fie on you! Go back to your basketweaving courses! :bricks:

So are you implying that all football fans have a "dumb jock" mentality and don't appreciate good writing?

Good writing, it sounds like a Led Zepplin Song.

Now this is good writing...

Hey brother christian, with your high and mighty errand
Your actions speak so loud, I can't hear a word your saying
Hey sister bleeding heart, with all of your compassion
Your labors soothe the hurt, but can't assuage temptation

Hey man of science, with your perfect rules of measure
Can you improve this place with the data that you gather?
Hey mother mercy, can your loins bear fruit forever?
Is your fecundity a trammel or a treasure?

And I want to conquer the world
Give all the idiots a brand new religion
Put an end to poverty, uncleanliness, and toil
Promote equality in all of my decisions
With a quick wink of the eye and a "God you must be joking"

Hey mister diplomat, with your worldly aspirations
Did you see your children cry when you left them at the station?
Hey moral soldier, you've got righteous proclamations
And precious tomes to fuel your pulpy conflagrations

And I want to conquer the world
Give all the idiots a brand new religion
Put an end to poverty, uncleanliness, and toil
Promote equality in all of my decisions

I want to conquer the world
Expose the culprits and feed them to the children
I'll do away with their pollution and then I'll save the whales
We'll have peace on earth and global communion

I want to conquer the world.
The one and only,
Mr. Greg Graffin

Hey sister bleeding heart, with all of your compassion
Your labors soothe the hurt, but can't assuage temptation

A paraphase of then coach Herm Edward in a sideline interview following a loss to the Pats:

We tried to run a slant there on that last play of the game. My receiver ran a slant, but that defense was expecting slant so they shut the slant down good and we couldn't run the slant. [long pause] We tried to run the slant.

OK you pansies...knock it off!!

There is a good reason to get guys with names WHO CAN STILL PLAY...
Why?? Beyond their play, it send a message to the league. It says"its not fair", gets fans to hate us, gets other FAs psyched to come here, and when playing.....who wants to play CB against Moss?? I dont care how good your rookie no name is, lined up against Moss he craps his pants!

We won our 2001, 2003 & 2004 Super Bowls not only because of Brady - but because of the incredible depth we had at all positions.

In years when there are quality free agents worth the money, we spend it. In years when we do not have prime FA targets, we spend our money on quality depth.

This is one of those years.

In fact it is more Joni Mitchell, does she not speak of making brownies today
in Ladies of the Canyon, very down to earth lady Joni,
One thing I'm certain, it's not the Rolling Stones. They gather no Moss.

So many things go into personnel decisions. You need to consider short term impact, long term impace, cap impact, versatility, depth, etc.

This year's free agent class has little to offer the Pats. Take Calvin Pace. Pace would have been a nice addition for the Pats so far as he offers short term and long term impact as a pass rush OLB. But $20 million? If Pace were a renouned run stopper as well, or if he was known for his coverage skills, or ability to play multiple positions, I would want the Pats to bite. As it is, Pace offers exactly what Vernon Gholston, Quinten Groves or Cliff Avril could also bring.

I am all for low key, veteran depth, competition type signings. The teams needs depth way more than it needs bit-time impact players. The Pats have the draft position to get impact players at both LB and CB.

OK you pansies...knock it off!!

There is a good reason to get guys with names WHO CAN STILL PLAY...
Why?? Beyond their play, it send a message to the league. It says"its not fair", gets fans to hate us, gets other FAs psyched to come here, and when playing.....who wants to play CB against Moss?? I dont care how good your rookie no name is, lined up against Moss he craps his pants!
Actually there really is NO GOOD REASON TO GET NAMES..names..unless they can play AND can be signed at reasonable cost are just that..hype..and beyond so called hype..this team has always done better when they brought in players under the radar. LAST year was an anomaly when they could get name players for a reasonable price..does NOT always happen that way..If one is looking for splah..always look to teh Skins and Raiders and others who the media-idiots will rate high in the offseason moves...and who will be far down from the playoffs..

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes