PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

For all you fans of Profootball Focus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Pro Football Focus is pretty funny.

Just really, really bizarre. How do you argue against Brady's season this year? It's easily one of the top 5 QB seasons of all time, and we're 14-2 almost exclusively because of it. Not to mention every excuse people applied to every other QB in the league could just as easily be applied to him.

Did they seriously say Rodgers has inferior talent? With his defense that nearly led the NFL in all phases and league-best receiving core? The reality is, Green Bay underperformed as much as any team in the league, and it's almost exclusively because of Rodgers inconsistency.

The Pats are the highest scoring team in the league. They have the best record in the league. They've committed the fewest turnovers of all time. This MVP is a slam dunk if ever there was one.

As you PatsFans are having trouble grasping the genius of PFF's rationale, let me sum it up for you:

More TD's, less INT's, better comp. %, less sacks, higher QB rating (fifth highest all-time), better record, longest pick-less streak in history (ongoing), longest 2TD/0 INT game streak in history (ongoing)...all against a much tougher schedule... < .33 yards more YPA and a Fantasyland win.

Duh.

On a more serious note, it's unbelievable to me that all of Brady's years throwing to no-names were ignored completely in favor of monster stats, and now that he's putting up monster stats (throwing to rookies, retreads, UDFAs) and is clearly the best, other QB's are getting credit for throwing to no-names (even if those no-names are high draft picks, Pro Bowlers, and future HOFers).

Just really, really bizarre. How do you argue against Brady's season this year? It's easily one of the top 5 QB seasons of all time, and we're 14-2 almost exclusively because of it. Not to mention every excuse people applied to every other QB in the league could just as easily be applied to him.

Did they seriously say Rodgers has inferior talent? With his defense that nearly led the NFL in all phases and league-best receiving core? The reality is, Green Bay underperformed as much as any team in the league, and it's almost exclusively because of Rodgers inconsistency.

The Pats are the highest scoring team in the league. They have the best record in the league. They've committed the fewest turnovers of all time. This MVP is a slam dunk if ever there was one.

Brady in 2010 has the 5th-highest all-time passer ranking ever recorded. Brady in 2010 has a higher passer rating than the best seasons ever posted by Hall of Famers such as Johnny Unitas, Roger Staubach, Dan Fouts, John Elway, Dan Marino, Troy Aikman, Otto Graham and Bart Starr.

The four ahead of him on the best ever season are Peyton Manning ('04) Steve Young ('94) Joe Montana ('89) and Tom Brady ('07).

But I guess we should trust the experts and agree that Aaron Rodgers is more valuable.

Re: For all you fans of Pro football Focus

These guys said that they discounted Brady because he threw shorter passes. But if you depend on YAC, you must throw the ball so that the receiver can continue running and or avoid the tackler. That requires extreme accuracy, low or high, in front or back shoulder, etc.

In addition, they judge every play and discount for easy catches, as opposed to hard catches. I always thought the best thing for a QB to do is "Throw them where they ain't". By definition, those are easy catches, with no DB around. It discounts an important QB talent.

GIGO!

Re: For all you fans of Pro football Focus

In addition, they judge every play and discount for easy catches, as opposed to hard catches.

Uhhhh...seriously?

I'm all in favor of ice-cream-eating nerds trying to devise some sort of home-brewed analytic system to try to contribute something to our understanding of football that we're not getting from the storyline and superstar obsessed mainstream sports media and their continued adherence to woefully inadequate traditional counting stats.

When there's a conventional wisdom as calcified and reflexive and resistant to new information as is wont to happen in professional sports, there's always room for intelligent people with fresh perspectives and impartial agendas to bring something new and exciting to the table. In the case of baseball, a game that lends itself to statistical analysis like no other, the nerds and their "sabrmetrics" have revolutionized the game to the degree that there is no longer a single team in the league whose front office doesn't employ some of their methods.

Football, more than any sport, relies on players executing a complex 11-man choreography on every play, with every individual player's success dependent on internecine layers of mutual contingency, that is strongly resists quantitative analysis of players in isolation. Accepting, then, the limitations of statistical analysis to discussion player-units working in concert, as opposed to individual players, there remains a lot that a new statistical approach can tell us that we can use to augment our understanding of the game. For this to be effective, the approach must be rigorous and exploratory as opposed to didactic, always remembering that the data exists independently of our interpretation of it, and that we must use our understanding of football to guide how we look at the data just as much as we allow the data to shape our understanding of football.

My personal favorite NFL site, FootballOutsiders.com, accomplishes this quite well. The write-ups of their statistical analysis are always just as much about understanding the limitations we need to impose in interpreting their data as it is about using their data to comment on the reality of the NFL. If the results are counterintuitive, Aaron Schatz, the site's founder, will work diligently to understand and explain what's behind the result, and to qualify what and how much we should take from it. Basically, he approaches his data with the rigor and caution of a scientist, trying to find a way to reconcile the data with our current model of understanding as opposed to blindly supplanting our current understanding with the implications of his data.

Profootballfocus does pretty much the opposite. Their write-ups are full of bombast and posturing, pitched at brow-beating you into accepting their assertions based on the strength their proprietary data, which they won't even show you unless you pay them. They don't seem particularly interested in "showing the work" behind their claims, most likely because they know it won't stand up to scrutiny. Many have already pointed out some inherent flaws in their methods -- trying to break down plays with only the tv footage and no knowledge of what was *supposed* to happen on a given play, using volunteer data collectors with no quality control, etc. -- but there's little point engaging with them that much when they're still so opaque about the rest of their methods. It's hard to take them seriously as someone who could really contribute to the field of football analytics when they keep insisting that we pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.

Anyway, sorry to go on about this at such length. I just wanted to argue against anyone dismissing the legitimacy of the entire field of inquiry based on the work of hacks like these guys.

I read the article and the author specifically states that he doesn't take into account weather unless there is a clear impact due to the weather (such as the ball obviously flying off path).

Right there you know that any analysis is going to be way off because the weather factor was huge. I'm not talking about the snow; I'm talking about the 30+ MPH winds as well as the cold. There's already been some discussion here about how a QB has to throw the ball differently in below-freezing temperatures. The wind impacted a lot of throws - some obviously and some not so obviously. I believe the game situation also impacted throws as Tom Brady clearly threw a number of balls low in the second half when the important thing was not to create a turnover; getting the yardage gain or even the first down was secondary.

So, yes, Tom Brady did have a really good game. There were certainly mistakes. But I'll tell you this - you give Tom Brady that same protection in a 68 degree dome and no wind and the stats would be much better. Ignoring the awful conditions is just ridiculous.

Brady played the Chicago game in a freaking BLIZZARD. And the Pats hung 36 points on the Bears as Brady passes for over 350 yards. Meanwhile the Bears QB, Cutler puts up a bad game in part due to the inclement weather and the Bears only manage 7. How can anyone logically discount that kind of incredible performance?

The haters need to Get Over It, Brady has proven himself to be far greater than a system QB. He got 3 superbowls with less weapons than Manning has enjoyed, and in the year he finally did have weapons put up an NFL record 50 TDs. This year Brady puts up arguably one of the most efficient seasons of any passer in league history, and does it while leading the NFL with most TDs and fewest INTs. Oh he also owns the all time pass without an interception record. I love it when the haters come out with no leg to stand on. It makes them look even more obviously trollish.

BTW by definition, that would also make Montana a system QB. But I doubt the trolls would go as far to contest his status as one of the all time greats. It's only because Brady plays for New England, that they go into troll mode. The hate outweighs the logic by far. ;)

Last edited:
Favorite quote from Patriots.com radio:
John Rooke said:
These guys are absolutely out of their freaking gourds. And they're actually trying to perpetrate this slop on the football-consuming public. Frankly, anybody who has a subscription is wasting their money, because it makes no sense. They are are robbing you blind if you have a subscription. And I'm saying this knowing that they put our link to this broadcast up on their web page today. Okay? Robbing you blind.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back