PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

For all those angry with the draft...

Status
Not open for further replies.

skri65

Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
Reaction score
I have something to say to those who are whining about how we went with all O players on the first day.

Look at what we did in the playoffs last year. In Jax, we scored 21 points on offense (7 on defense). Our offense was nothing special. Just efficient, but rather slow. It seemed as though if Jax had made one play the game would have been much more competitive.Our DEFENSE limited the Jax offense to 3 points. 3 points! And that was without Bruschi.

In Denver, it was our O that lost us the game. We could not get the O going, and turnovers resulted. Our D held very sturdy, and limited Denver to very few yards (even if they had a short field to go). Why should we not go O on the first day of the draft?

Like many of you, I am worried about our LB position. This is the only defensive position I'm worried about. If we move Vrabel outside, we have Beisel and Bruschi in the middle which is fine. It's not great and I'd rather have a replacement for Beisel, but it's fine. The Jax game proved that this setup can work. But in the end, it was our O who ended our season and thus, it is the O that BB decided to upgrade the most today.

Draft picks happen for a reason. BB picked Maroney and not D. Williams for a reason. BB and crew picked Thomas and not a LB for a reason. And frankly, they know MUCH more about the teams needs than any of us.

Well said...Corey Dillon aint getting any younger and Larry Bird aint walking through that door!

I honestly cannot understand how anyone could be angry about the draft so far. Defense will be addressed tomorrow

I wanted Lawson. After the first 2 picks, though, I thought the Pats made some fantastic moves.

Thought they could have gone D on the third, but who cares if this guys good.

Seems to me, some of you offense only guys are inventing unhappy people so you can gloat.

You got what you wanted. Why not be graceful winners.:cool:

skri65 said:
I have something to say to those who are whining about how we went with all O players on the first day.

Look at what we did in the playoffs last year. In Jax, we scored 21 points on offense (7 on defense). Our offense was nothing special. Just efficient, but rather slow. It seemed as though if Jax had made one play the game would have been much more competitive.Our DEFENSE limited the Jax offense to 3 points. 3 points! And that was without Bruschi.

So, just totally IGNORE the FACT that he Pats were playing without their starting LT and without their starting center and a turnstile at RT. OK. Give me a break.

skri65 said:
In Denver, it was our O that lost us the game. We could not get the O going, and turnovers resulted. Our D held very sturdy, and limited Denver to very few yards (even if they had a short field to go). Why should we not go O on the first day of the draft?

Sorry, but this is BS too. You obviously didn't watch the game too well because the game was lost on Special teams (Missed FG by Adam, Fumble by Hobbs, Fumble by Brown). Heck, the BS call on Samuel for the pass interference was a bigger thing than the Pats 2 interceptions or Faulk's fumble. Had the pass interference not been called, the game is totally different. Had Adam made his kick, the game is different. Had Todd Sauerbrun been called for a spear, the fumble gets over-turned.

skri65 said:
Like many of you, I am worried about our LB position. This is the only defensive position I'm worried about. If we move Vrabel outside, we have Beisel and Bruschi in the middle which is fine. It's not great and I'd rather have a replacement for Beisel, but it's fine. The Jax game proved that this setup can work. But in the end, it was our O who ended our season and thus, it is the O that BB decided to upgrade the most today.

I wouldn't say it was fine. It worked for ONE game where the Jaguars were trying to go with an injured QB and where Taylor wasn't healthy. Also, It wasn't the Pats O that ended the season. That is your incorrect theory.

skri65 said:
Draft picks happen for a reason. BB picked Maroney and not D. Williams for a reason. BB and crew picked Thomas and not a LB for a reason. And frankly, they know MUCH more about the teams needs than any of us.

Yep. And everyone admits that BB knows more than us. Doesn't mean we can't be disappointed with the pick of Maroney because it seems to fly in the face of what BB has done the past 6 years and what he has preached in interviews regarding the draft and the books which he has done interviews for.

It seems BB feels a lack of real playmakers on offense aside from Brady, Branch, and a bunch of question marks. Perhaps he feels more confident in the "coaching up" aspect of the team on the defensive side, and a hope, perhaps, that the coming season will finally see some semblance of health on the defensive side of the ball.

I'll be very curious to watch Lawson this year. I had thought they would have ranked him as highly as you did. I wonder if it was a tough choice for them?

My one real regret was that they were not able to make the GB trade for the lower 3rd-round pick. If they had stayed at 75, they could have had Schlegel, a potentially solid ILB (Ted Johnson redux?). That would have been a very interesting, and exciting choice. His negatives sound to be present only in the passing game, much like Ted's. We'll get to see him with the Jets now twice a year.

I am quietly thrilled with the first 3 rounds. I always expect BB/SP to go heavy on the D on day 1. So this was probably surprising to almost all Pats fans. Clearly WR, RB were needs. Major needs and they emphaticly addressed it. You could argue the TE pick I suppose but I'll give em a bye on it. We all know day 2 is gonna be D, D, D........ The only person happier than me must be Tom Brady! Tom, thou hast weapons!!!!:rocker:

DaBruinz said:
Doesn't mean we can't be disappointed with the pick of Maroney because it seems to fly in the face of what BB has done the past 6 years and what he has preached in interviews regarding the draft and the books which he has done interviews for.

I thought BB preached best player available, and not need?

BB said he felt Maroney was the best player available. Down here in Carolina, I can tell you Panther fans felt as if they had to settle for Williams.

So he in fact did exactly as he has preached, IMO.

And BB drafting a tight end in any round is consistent. He'll probably draft two more tommorow!

Apparently I'm wrong, some people are angry about our picks. I just think we really improved our O now and for the future.

Looks to me we'll go for a F.A. LB and some defensive depth tomorrow.

BB loves to overload one side to make a big impact rather than "fill" holes.

He just loaded up on offense instead of D.

DaBruinz said:
So, just totally IGNORE the FACT that he Pats were playing without their starting LT and without their starting center and a turnstile at RT. OK. Give me a break.

Sorry, but this is BS too. You obviously didn't watch the game too well because the game was lost on Special teams (Missed FG by Adam, Fumble by Hobbs, Fumble by Brown). Heck, the BS call on Samuel for the pass interference was a bigger thing than the Pats 2 interceptions or Faulk's fumble. Had the pass interference not been called, the game is totally different. Had Adam made his kick, the game is different. Had Todd Sauerbrun been called for a spear, the fumble gets over-turned.

I wouldn't say it was fine. It worked for ONE game where the Jaguars were trying to go with an injured QB and where Taylor wasn't healthy. Also, It wasn't the Pats O that ended the season. That is your incorrect theory.

Yep. And everyone admits that BB knows more than us. Doesn't mean we can't be disappointed with the pick of Maroney because it seems to fly in the face of what BB has done the past 6 years and what he has preached in interviews regarding the draft and the books which he has done interviews for.
Thanks, DaBruinz, couldn't have said it better. But would like to add one note. How did we fare last year creating turnovers? Points off of turnovers? Points on ST's? Like I said in another thread, the teams that created these points all won during the playoffs. Its the BIG separator of contenders and pretenders and why the Dolts can never win. And we did NOTHING to correct this most important deficiency. Instead we at best just guaranteed that we too, just like the Dolts can score more points in meaningless regular season games.

sarge said:
I thought BB preached best player available, and not need?

Nope. BB preaches best VALUE. And, from the things I have read, that value equation INCLUDES Team need as well as the Player's tangibles and intangibles.

sarge said:
BB said he felt Maroney was the best player available. Down here in Carolina, I can tell you Panther fans felt as if they had to settle for Williams.
No. That is incorrect. BB said he felt they took the best VALUE available.

sarge said:
So he in fact did exactly as he has preached, IMO.

And BB drafting a tight end in any round is consistent. He'll probably draft two more tommorow!

No. BB didn't draft as he preached because he has preached building from the trenches. And, previoiusly, he has given the impression that the OLB in the 3-4 was the 2nd level of the trenches on defense similar to the TEs being the 2nd level of the trenches on the offense.

DaBruinz said:
Nope. BB preaches best VALUE. And, from the things I have read, that value equation INCLUDES Team need as well as the Player's tangibles and intangibles.

No. BB didn't draft as he preached because he has preached building from the trenches. And, previoiusly, he has given the impression that the OLB in the 3-4 was the 2nd level of the trenches on defense similar to the TEs being the 2nd level of the trenches on the offense.

While I would have liked to see a LB too, it seems doubtful they'll find anyone really sweet for the OLB position at this stage, unless there's a to-be-converted DE they're looking at. Or Alston? But if Vrabel moves outside, there are a few ILB possibilities left, some of whom sound pretty good, like Dobbins. No?

Well.....

DaBruinz said:

"No. That is incorrect. BB said he felt they took the best VALUE available"

Well......I think he is referring to the best value available ....IN relation to what he feels our NEEDS are.......BB obviously feels that RB IS A HIGH priority.......Maroney was the BEST RB prospect on the board at that point (in his opinion) and that is why he is a New England Patriot.

What I am getting at is.....two years ago (believe it was 2) Steven Jackson was on the board and was undoubtedly the highest "valued" player on the board (if you go by top 100's)....but BB passed over Jackson......and drafted Vince Wilfork.....based on our NEEDS at the time........you take the highest value for THE positional need you are after...good post.....

One thought for food......Loading up on Offense, getting Tom more weapons may have the desired effect of keeping our older defensive(see LB's) players off the field and better rested!!! Would have been sweet if we could have gotten Mangold tho'!! I'm sure we'll see some LB and DB today!

stcjones said:
What I am getting at is.....two years ago (believe it was 2) Steven Jackson was on the board and was undoubtedly the highest "valued" player on the board (if you go by top 100's)....but BB passed over Jackson......and drafted Vince Wilfork.....based on our NEEDS at the time........you take the highest value for THE positional need you are after...good post.....

The key phrase their is "if you go by top 100s" It makes an assumption that isn't true.

The Pats don't go by the conventioanl top 100. Never have. They don't subscribe to the scouting services most teams do and their draft board looks totally different.

According to Holley's book BB had a 4 player list in that draft that he would have traded up to pick if he could have: Deangelo Hall, Donta Robinson, Wilfork, and Vilma.

The Pats thought Wilfork was a guy whose value was high enough to trade up for. They thought his value was worth more than just the 21st pick. The idea that Jackson was a better value on their board but they passed on him and drafted Wilfork for need doesn't add up.

skri65 said:

The only people who should be angry with the Patriots draft yesterday are Jet, Colts, or Dolphin fans.

Jacky Roberts said:
The only people who should be angry with the Patriots draft yesterday are Jet, Colts, or Dolphin fans.

Agreed, it was a very good day one. There are still PLENTY of D to draft on day 2.

desi-patsfan said:
Agreed, it was a very good day one. There are still PLENTY of D to draft on day 2.

Of course, but Im not concerned at all that BB wont be able to find a handful of defensive gems today.

ps- I still cant believe they got Jackson. Unreal.

I like it so far...

Bb knows what he is doing,the offence will be great if these two can contribute.

I like it so far...

Bb knows what he is doing,the offence will be great if these two can contribute.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots