Welcome to PatsFans.com

For a rookie QB, Matt Ryan is doing very well

Discussion in 'NFL Football Forum' started by carolinatony, Oct 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. carolinatony

carolinatony In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I guess some rookie QB's can actually come in and play. Either that or else The Falcons must have a better team than us. He is still learning but has looked good.
    Just saying..............

2. BritPat

BritPat In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +351 / 4 / -4

#54 Jersey

Brady-like poise and cool + the desire of Manning to do well.

The kid is going to be big.

3. carolinatony

carolinatony In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I wish we had him.

4. MoLewisrocks

MoLewisrocks PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0

Well apparently that is not all your just trying to say, but given your history that doesn't surprise. He's been up and down and inbetween. His team is 4-2 after 6 games. Maybe ours will be 4-2 after 1 more game... and in their 2 losses he was a lot worse than our QB by rating, not that that necessarily means anything.

Flacco on the other hand seems to be having a real tough time contrary to some prognostications...

Derek anderson went to the pro bowl out of nowhere last season. This season his career may be heading for the toilet bowl. Go figure. David Carr and Joey Harrington never made it as starters for whatever reason, but often are portrayed as potentially wonderful backups as long as they don't have to, you know, play. :rolleyes:

Matt Ryan: Game Logs

5. BRiZ

BRiZ Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

there is a rule around here that you cant talk about rookie QBs starting! Its forbidden! Didnt you know?

6. bakes781

bakes781 In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

forget for a rookie. he's doing very good period

pro bowl worthy IMO.

7. mgteich

mgteich PatsFans.com Veteran PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +593 / 46 / -20

Ryan is first rookie EVER to win the majority of his first six games. To believe that the success of Ryan, who was being prepared in camp to start, means that any QB can do the same is ridiculous.

Many rookies have started. Most worked with the first team during training camp and the preseason. Please tell us if there was one who was third string throughout camp, and then started and suceeded.

Cassel's performance has NOT been horrible for a first time NFL QB. Brady was worse in his first few games. Manning was worse. Favre was worse.

8. Batman

Batman Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +9 / 14 / -6

#24 Jersey

Look at their running game they have nearly 1000 yards on the ground which give ryan more options.

9. Disco Volante

Disco Volante Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +68 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

Dan Marino went 4-2 in his first six starts, finishing the regular season 9-2.

Ben Roethlisberger went 6-0 in his first six starts, eventually going 14-0 in his first fourteen games during his rookie season, with his only loss coming to the Patriots in the AFC Championship game.

10. PonyExpress

PonyExpress In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +25 / 3 / -0

Ryan is a special player who if he can stay healthy will go into the HOF. He was the best player in the draft by far. [the next best appears to be Clady IMO]. He is the best Qb to come out of the draft since Roethlesberger. It would not surprise me if the Falcons make the playoffs, and win a game.

There is no one on the Pats active roster who can carry Ryan's jock. Cassel should be the starter this whole year. With Cassel and gritty play from the rest of the roster [which has been lacking] this team can make the playoffs. This team can win with Cassel if the rest of the players exhibit heart and guts. This season is not about Cassell IMO. It is about everyone else. The defense is not covering itself in glory.

I like O'Connel too, but not until the season is irretrievably lost, if it comes to that, which it may if the vets don't step up their intensity in the coming weeks.

• Like Like x 1
  11. PonyExpress

PonyExpress In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +25 / 3 / -0

Big difference is that Ryan started from day 1. Marino was on a roster coming off a SB appearance and he stepped in only after 5 weeks of David Woodley.

Roethlisberger was on a loaded Pittsburgh squad with big time talent on both sides of the ball. He entered, i believe, in week 3.

I am the biggest Roethlisberger fan on this board... as far as natural talent, I don't think I've ever seen a more gifted Qb before his various physical ailments.

That said, as a rookie Ryan has played more impressively than Roethlisberger in many respects. He makes his mediocre O-line look better by getting rid of the ball fast, like Brady. He can take the game on his shoulders and win with his brain, soemthing Cowher never demanded of Roethlisberger, even after several years. Ryan's instincts for the game are like Manning/Brady.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.