Welcome to PatsFans.com

Football Star Hires Security After Wedding Threats

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Patters, Jul 28, 2007.

1. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +261 / 10 / -11

http://abcnews.go.com/US/story?id=3422740&page=1

For the biggest day of his life, Fiesta Bowl star Ian Johnson isn't taking any chances.

Since receiving more than two dozen verbal and written personal threats, the Boise State running back, who is African-American, has retained several off-duty police officers and security guards to watch over his wedding tomorrow to a white cheerleader.

Johnson, who scored the winning points in the Fiesta Bowl, made headlines when he proposed to girlfriend Chrissy Popadics on national television.

Soon after the Jan. 1 proposal, he started receiving hateful phone calls and letters mailed to the school's football office from people angry at his interracial relationship.
  2. scout

scout Rookie

Ratings:
    +44 / 0 / -2

#15 Jersey

I am reading Doris Kearns account of Lincoln and his cabinet. Approx. 140 years later, my how far we have come.
  3. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

This sucks beyond belief!
    Is there any way we can kick Idaho out of the country?
    What year is this - 1952? It boggles the mind that there are still people of all colors who harbor these twisted and retarded ideas. I'm so sick of crap like that.
  4. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +509 / 6 / -2

Kick Idaho out of the country? Do you think that the absolute moron, tard, POS, scumbag MF'ers that are doing this, represent the entire state of Idaho? Those dumb potato heads. I mean, it's not like this would ever happen in Massachusetts. Nope, never. Certainly not here. :mad:

This is beyond tragic, and pathetic. Unfortunately, this is a sad reality of life. Prejudice, bigotry, terrorism, racism, etc.. will never go away permanently. There will always be some fringe retard that uses his extremist convictions to ruin the loves of others. I hope they trace the calls of the perpatrator(s), and stick there azz' in a jail cell to be Bubba's biatch. :enranged:
  5. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +359 / 11 / -27

Idaho has been a haven for fringe groups, but there have been some efforts to get rid of them.. SPLC filed some lawsuits and were successful.. but what concerns me more is the wanna be's which sometimes in their quest for publicity can be more dangerous than the real thing.
  6. reflexblue

reflexblue PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +127 / 4 / -0

#91 Jersey

Idaho, the militia capital of the world!
  7. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Maybe I'm getting older; but I see a silver lining in this cloud. Years ago the response to this story would have been the same as today. Something along the lines of:

"What the he!! is wrong with those people?"

Only yesterday it would have been directed at the couple. While today its directed, properly, at the whackjobs.

I always try to see the glass as 1/2 full.
  8. Patters

Ratings:
    +261 / 10 / -11

Yeah, but you notice how quiet the righties here are being (with the exception of RW)?
  9. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +657 / 2 / -9

OK, here I am.
    WHO CARES.

GO FOR IT
    :bricks:
  10. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

I'm just going to assume they're too busy reading up on the progress of training camp to have noticed this thread.

There I go again with the 1/2 full stuff;)
  11. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

You think I was serious?:bricks:
  12. scout

scout Rookie

Ratings:
    +44 / 0 / -2

#15 Jersey

Last edited: Jul 30, 2007
  13. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +657 / 2 / -9

Why are you knocking Idaho, this was in the same the article.

From The Article:
    The racist threats are unusual in Boise, which recorded only five race-related hate crimes in 2005. Although Idaho has a small African-American population, in 1959 it was one of the first states to repeal laws that prohibited interracial marriages. And Idaho was one of five states with the largest proportion of white and multiple-race couples in the country.
    http://abcnews.go.com/US/story?id=3422740&page=1

Ask any "Black Person" if you know any or if you invite any to your cookout, I grew up with them and I am still in touch with ones I have known for 70 years, they much prefer the Racist that shows their racism right up front than the one who sneaks around "making believe" Cambridge Mass is loaded with the "Civil Rights Phony's" I'm not talking about City Hall I'm talking about out on the street.

Years ago a wise old Black Man from the Deep South who lived next door to us told all us kids to always beware of "The Do-Gooder" he most always is only out to Do-Good for himself and his Image.

The Indians Knew:
    When Jane (Hanoi Hannah) Fonda many years ago started out on her Bullsh!t Crusade the first place she headed was an American Indian Reservation, her front men announced to the News Media that Jane was going to save the American Indian, the Tribal Leaders met her at the gate, their message was short but powerful and says it all about the Do-Gooder, their greeting to Jane was. "Leave, we don't want you here, you bring much trouble"
  14. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

...so true. I've been told that by a black friend, too. He's more comfortable around me because we always sh-t on each other because he's Jamaican and I'm a New Englander. He likes being relaxed enough that we can make fun of his dreads and pichule oil or my sunburn and blue eyes.
  15. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +509 / 6 / -2

Not entirely of course. :D
  16. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

BALLBUSTAH!:mad:
  17. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +507 / 13 / -11

#24 Jersey

Dude, STFU. Jesus Christ. F*cking loser.

To respond to scout's "I am reading Doris Kearns account of Lincoln and his cabinet. Approx. 140 years later, my how far we have come", we have come a long way that doesn't mean there are no incidents. Blacks and women can become anything they want to today, that's progress. There's no law that says everyone has to love every other group however.
  18. Patters

Ratings:
    +261 / 10 / -11

Well, I'm glad that at least RW came out unequivocally against the racists, even if the other righties are keeping quiet or raising other issues.

Am I correct that you have defended an employer's right to discriminate against blacks? I think most people would regard that as the same as defending racism. I think most Americans regard those who defend racists as losers.
  19. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +657 / 2 / -9

Thats the true friendship, I have had it for many years most are gone now but we were there.

When I blow up and say somehting on here and they start the racist stuff I have to smile, if only they could have heard the things we said to each other years ago sitting on the gutter eating corn on a hot summer day.

The whole world is changing, new generations.

We're off to see the wizard
    The wonderful wizard of Oz.
  20. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +507 / 13 / -11

#24 Jersey

Yes you are correct. If I owned a business, which I don't, I should be able to hire who I want. It's none of your business nor the governments.