Welcome to PatsFans.com

Football Player Sits Out Game After Opponent Threatens Forfeit!

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by shirtsleeve, Oct 13, 2011.

1. shirtsleeve

shirtsleeve Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

2. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

It is sad. Ron Paul, however, would probably argue that the Academy, being a private school would have every right to exclude the Mina Johnson because her gender, color, or any other reason. And, Mitt Romney probably would have done nothing about this. After all, when the Mormon church finally caught up with the Civil War in 1978 by allowing blacks into their Tabernacle, all Romney did was cry (a rather ambiguous reaction); he wasn't one of the ones who fought to change his church. Man, all I can say is thank God for liberals, or Mina Johnson wouldn't have even had a chance to compete.
  3. shirtsleeve

shirtsleeve Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Well, the acadamy is a private institution, true. But this institution did not exclude her on any basis, not even playing in a traditionally male played sport. So I think your statement is off there.

Oh and Theo is a Cub
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2011
  4. chicowalker

chicowalker Rookie

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0

and maybe they should be able to...

do you really oppose all-girl (or all boys) schools, for example?
  5. Patsfanin Philly

Patsfanin Philly Rookie

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

Back in 1976, Massachusetts ratified the Equal Rights Amendment in the November elections. The next day we played a soccer game against a school that fielded a girl at forward. We treated like any other game, actually we tried harder so we didn't " get beat by a girl".We would never have thought of not competing, and this was 35 years ago....
  6. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

On that note let me make it clear that since this young lady probably already has a better fastball than Wake, if she could only develop a serviceable curve and decent off-speed pitch I'd support the Red Sox signing her. In fact if she could strike out Jeter or Arod to win the ALCS for the Sox I'd likely die of a sports orgasm right there on the spot.

That being said, girls are different from boys. Tackle Football isn't a co-ed sport.
  7. Patters

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

No, I don't, and those are allowed under the current laws, even for public schools.

Single-sex education - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"In the United States, the Supreme Court ruled on the constitutionality of single-sex public education in the 1996 case of United States v. Virginia. This ruling, written by Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg concluded that single-sex education in the public sector is constitutional only if comparable courses, services, and facilities are made available to both sexes."

I think that makes sense, but I also think that the law should support schools that want to judge people based on their skill level, not their gender.
  8. shirtsleeve

shirtsleeve Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I disagree. Again, if someone has the ability to make the team, let them play. While its true that many women will never gain the size to go further than hs to play tackle football, if any should show the ability to do so, they should be afforded the opportunity.
  9. chicowalker

chicowalker Rookie

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0

just fyi, I'm not talking about legal v illegal, just wondering re opinions on various forms of discrimination / exclusion.

edit: btw, I don't think boys/girls should be excluded from most sports. Wrestling might be an exception, but I'd defer to people who actually wrestled.
  10. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I don't have a problem with girls player football. What I have a problem with is that sooner or later when one of them gets seriously injured because she's way out of her league, you know everyone is the world will be getting sued and her lawyer's argument against the school essentially will be "you should have known enough not to let my client place her own health in danger and forbidden her from playing."
  11. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0

I agree completely, everytime this stuff happens there is way too much brouhaha.. if she has the ability let her play. As a society we should have moved to a point where this is no longer in the news...
  12. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -5

She should be allowed to play
    That other team was wrong, they should have played the game and they should have treated her the same way would treat a man they should have played to win, if she got hurt, well that's football.

Personally in private life I wouldn't want to date a female football player, I like them soft, cuddly and feminine.

I wonder what that other team would have done if this girl had been Chaz Bono.

:confused:
  13. Real World

Real World Rookie

Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -1

Now there's a shocka, Patters inserting partisan politics into a thread where none existed. :rolleyes:

BTW, isn't thread hijacking against the rules? :nono:
  14. Real World

Real World Rookie

Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -1

I'm mixed on issues like this. When there isn't a mens or girls team in a specific sport, and a person of the opposite gender is good enough to play, I don't have a real issue with them doing so. At the same time, I could totally understand why a women's field hockey team wouldn't want to play an opponent with 5 guys on it, or why a mens football team wouldn't want to be butting helmets with a woman on the football field. They do have separate teams for a reason. So while I understand why this happens (a boy/girl playing for a schools team of the opposite gender), I also can see why some people don't like it. I don't think you have to be an absolute yes or no on an issue like this.

I play in a hockey league where two of the teams have a girl on them. I have to say you do treat them differently. I personally play very passively when I'm near them. Some guys don't though. Some guys smash them into the boards when they dig in the corner for a loose ball. What's worse, is that the refs always call a penalty when you touch one the women, whereas they would never call the same action if it were two men. That part I find frustrating. If women, or men, want to play a mens or womens sport, then they shouldn't get any preferential treatment, or have any special expectations.

Oh, as for the team threatening to forfeit, so be it. That's their right. I happen to think they're stupid for doing so, but if as a team that's what they want to do, who am I to tell them they can't. I wouldn't have forfeited personally.
  15. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

Girls should do whatever they want to do. This is silly. The team threatening forfeit is a bunch of puzzies.
  16. chicowalker

chicowalker Rookie

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0

OT: I think you hit on one issue -- what are the rules going to be? If everybody agrees on the rules and they're the same, then girls playing should be treated the same, as they supposedly want.

I played a contact sport in college, and we were friendly with girls' teams. For fun we'd sometimes scrimmage, but the rules were clear -- we played by one another's rules. i.e., we couldn't hit them (women's rules), but they could hit us (men's rules). it worked out fine and was pretty fun.

otoh, I remember playing pickup basketball in grad school, and a woman we were friends with was playing. She had played Div I hoops, though she wasn't particularly good and it wasn't a strong program. (I did not play in college.) I laid back as I didn't know how aggressively to cover her. And she could shoot, so she was absolutely lighting me up. Finally, I decided to block one of her jumpers -- and I didn't hear the end of it from her, that guys shouldn't do that... but, hey, plenty of guys are whiners when they play pickup, too :)
  17. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Rookie

Ratings:
    +37 / 0 / -7

why is it that you feel a compulsion to make every frikkn thing in life a partisan issue?

Even when people don't mention left or right, you ALWAYS have to bring it up.

What the heck is wrong with you Patters? Do you have nightmares about "Righties"? If you do, good!
  18. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Rookie

Ratings:
    +37 / 0 / -7

If it's high school football, there won't/can't be any different rules for girls if they play. I'm sure those boys who do play against her try to hit her extra hard just to let her know it's her choice. I know I would have given a girl a few extra cheap shots if I had one trying to block me. Mainly because I don't think girls belong on boys teams and vice-versa.

Old-school and proud....
  19. Patters

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

Seemed like a good opportunity to bring to the attention of those who sympathize with the girl that Ron Paul would probably defend the rights of the school to discriminate against her because of her gender. Why do you take issue with that observation by making a personal attack against me?

By the way, PR, perhaps you haven't noticed, this is the Political Forum.
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2011
  20. Patters

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

Is that your defense of Ron Paul? As I pointed out to PR, this is the political forum, and in my opinion if you think this woman is being treated unfairly, you ought to be reminded that Ron Paul would probably back the right to discriminate against her. I know the truth hurts, so I do understand why one might use deflection to respond to my points.
  21. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Rookie

Ratings:
    +37 / 0 / -7

You & I both know that wasn't a "Personal Attack"...tell me where I wrong and I'll gladly apologize.

Just admit that you're obessed with your disdain of right-wing/conservative Americans...it's plain as day for all of us to see.

And your prejudice is very sad Patters.

It's ok....OK to have liberal beliefs and it's just as OK to have conservative beliefs kimosabe...

Accept it Patters, you have no choice. Otherwise you'll continue to bear the burden of your hatred in all you do and everywhere you go.

And if the beliefs of conservatives naugh at you night & day, it's your own fault and you deserve it. I don't lose any sleep over anyone elses political views. It's just not worth it.
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2011
  22. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Rookie

Ratings:
    +37 / 0 / -7

High school sports are NOT for anyone who "wants to play"

If you're not athletic, or if you don't like brutal contact, football is not your sport. Football players are taught to fire their hands violently into the chest of the opponent when pass-blocking. Should they block a female any different? Of course not.

In football, if a player has an injured shoulder and you know about it, you attack that injury. If they have any vulnerability, you physically attack it within the rules. A female's chest is vulnerable and should be taken advantage of because there aren't any shoulder pads made that will protect them.

That is the reality of football and the fact this young woman continues to play is to her credit. Because I can guarantee you the boys don't "take it easy" on her.

I give here parents a lot of credit too.
  23. Patters

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

Well, PR, when you ask what's wrong with me, you're suggesting there's something wrong with me. That's a personal attack. Does it warrant any sort of "penalty," no, but it's still rude.

Why you think it's wrong to raise political issues in a political forum is beyond me, but I see the responses by you and Real World as simply attempts at deflection. When I read the story of the girl, I thought how unfair, and how much more unfair it would be for women like her if someone with the values of Ron Paul or the moral weakness of Mitt Romney got elected.

Just because others chose to comment on this story from a more philosophical perspective does not make it wrong in the POLITICAL forum to comment on this story from a political perspective.

And, yes, I do have a lot of disdain for conservative political views; I think those policies have done great harm to women, minorities, working people, and the poor. That said, I count among my friends conservatives, Republicans, and even a Christian fundamentalist.
  24. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -1

Collectively speaking, if you care about your country as much as you claim you do, maybe you should.

With a big election coming up, the future of your country may depend upon "someone else's" political views.
  25. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -5

I'll say it again,
    "let her play, treat her like a man, no holds barred" why does this screwed up society continue to slobber and ignore reality, she wants to play football, fine, the opposing team should go out there and play football.
    Jesus Christ
  26. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Rookie

Ratings:
    +37 / 0 / -7

There is nothing me, you or anyone else can do about someone else views. Which is why I don't worry about them. Do some views bother me? Of course...why else would I come here?
  27. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +43 / 0 / -2

4 sacks in 1 recent game... "let her play" my big furry behind.

Sign the beast!
  28. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -1

More and more women are going into law enforcement, the military, firefighting and other "traditionally" male jobs, I see no reason a woman can't play a traditionally male sport, either. Females cops and firefighters are expected to do the same things their male counterparts do. Women cops get assaulted, they have to subdue large male lawbreakers, women firefighters must carry the same hose, rescue the same overweight people, climb the same rooftops as the men they work with.

I understand that young men and teenaged boys might have mental trouble tackling a female - my own son once forfeited a wrestling match with a female opponent from a neighboring school because he was so stressed over possibly having to grab her in what he considered an uncomfortable hold - but it might be good practice for adulthood. Maybe if boys learn in high school that women don't break, that they are capable of holding their own in a "male's" sport that they are also capable of holding their own in a "male's" profession and it will make things easier for women who become cops, firefighters, etc. and for the men who work with them.

If she made the team she's obviously talented enough and strong enough to have made the cut.
  29. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Rookie

Ratings:
    +37 / 0 / -7

Your son must have wrestled at a light weight-class. A few girls have done ok in the lighter weight-classes, but not at the middle and higher weights
  30. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -1

Can't remember exactly. It was a long time ago. He was in 8th grade so probably weighed somewhere around 135.