PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Football Outsiders ranks Maroney #3 RB in NFL thus far

Status
Not open for further replies.
BTW, contrary to what some of us here seem to believe (and I have to admit that I think Maroney could improve in the "tough" yardage situations) there is an even more impressive stat on that page that no one has mentioned.

Laurence is third in the league with a 64% success rate. Success rate is explained as such:

This is completely counter to what many here have complained about.

Edit:

Maroney is closer to #1 (69%) than he is to #4 (57%) and he is only 1% less than Sammy Morris.

I completely agree..so far Maroney has been consistent - picking up 5+ yards repeatedly without breaking any very long runs, which makes his 4.7 average even more impressive. I guess it's only a matter of time before he breaks it for 30+.

Last edited:
:rofl:

Yeah, let's wait until he runs in the open like Gale Sayers, up the middle like Earl Campbell, learns how to move like Barry Sanders, and breaks tackles like Jim Brown. Then maybe we can say he is okay.

Good point. I, among many people forget that a 4.7 comes from 1,3,6,5,-1,10,5, etc.

To Oswlek:
I also understand your point about the offensive structure, but 4 plays with 2 backs doesn't undermine the O anymore than having four down linemen on the field 20% undermines a 3-4 defense. Again, a TE roving around in motion behind the line before the snap is of no disconcert to our present offensive schemes.

I am bold enough to say that LM is similar to LT is pure running ability. SD runs a FB for him, with a "similar" line (running game, at least).

I not at all purporting to re-arrange the running game. I'm simply asking what benefits could/might be gained by giving LM a FB/TE/etc. lead block on a few plays, disguised or not.

Last edited:
Good point. I, among many people forget that a 4.7 comes from 1,3,6,5,-1,10,5, etc.

To Oswlek:
I also understand your point about the offensive structure, but 4 plays with 2 backs doesn't undermine the O anymore than having four down linemen on the field 20% undermines a 3-4 defense. Again, a TE roving around in motion behind the line before the snap is of no disconcert to our present offensive schemes.

I am bold enough to say that LM is similar to LT is pure running ability. SD runs a FB for him, with a "similar" line (running game, at least).

I not at all purporting to re-arrange the running game. I'm simply asking what benefits could/might be gained by giving LM a FB/TE/etc. lead block on a few plays, disguised or not.

But the point is that a zone play does not use a leading FB. Asking to add a FB *is* asking to rearrange the entire running game.

Sorry, I didn't see the direct response.

Coaches who are adept with zone plays have a common thought: In order to be good at zone running, you need to do it all the time. Also, NE is still working out the kinks, so you would expect some sloppiness.

Last edited:
So Oswelk, would the hesitation that he is showing when approching the line have to do with the zone also? I can only assume the lanes have to develop. Right?

If I had never seen him play I'd think you guys were describing JR Redmond. Running into the backs of all the OL.

Just a point of conversation here is my two cents...

The facts that they show definitely supports the argument that Maroney is #3.. But as an accountant, I know how numbers can be "adjusted" to make one's point. That being said, I think last Sunday showed me that Maroney was not even the best back on the field. marshawn lynch looked more complete than lawerence.. I loved how Lynch hit the hole or bounced outside but yet on many of Maroney's carries last couple of weeks, he has hestitated and been tackled for no gain.

My personal opinion (as a fan) is Maroney would do better if he followed a fullback. There is no denying Maroney has the tools to explode for a td but his vision is not the best..

Just my opinion..

They also have a success rate stat, which maroney is ranked 3rd (Morris ranked 2nd). Every running back gets stuffed behind the line or for no gain from time to time. It's not like there IS a whole and Maroney just waits for it to collapse. When he gets stuffed early like that, there is a defender in the hole, on backfield when he gets the ball so what the hell is he supposed to do, transform into Barry Sanders or just never get tackled by anyone ever?

Sure I'd agree there are a few times that Maroney might studder or think a little too long for a split second, making it seem he could have gotten something but a vast majority of the time it is not the case. He's still young, and he'll never be perfect, no one can be. But he sure as hell is a whole ton of a lot better than many give him credit for these days. Btw 4.2 ypc when he's the loneback (which he almost always is anyway), don't need no stinkin lead fulback :)

There's no point in drafting a running back.

If I'm the Patriots, I just wait for the Bills to cut bait with their RB. The Bills are pretty good at scouting RBs, but they are pretty bad at keeping them.

Check this out:

Antowain Smith
Sammy Morris
Travis Henry
Willis McGahee
Marshawn Lynch

All good RBs, and none of them signed a second contract with the team. 5 1st day draft picks on RBs in the last decade.

Just a point of conversation here is my two cents...

The facts that they show definitely supports the argument that Maroney is #3.. But as an accountant, I know how numbers can be "adjusted" to make one's point.
Cool. Show us stats that make the point that Reggie Dupard rated higher as a Pats RB than Curtis Martin.

Last edited:
Maroney is nasty...see heisman pose below....look at who the team he is playing in that pic is.....

MNF ohhhhh yeaaahhhh

Last edited:
So Oswelk, would the hesitation that he is showing when approching the line have to do with the zone also? I can only assume the lanes have to develop. Right?

If I had never seen him play I'd think you guys were describing JR Redmond. Running into the backs of all the OL.

Maroney has admitted that he can be a little overwhelmed at times with thinking too much. In particular, he has been working hard to ensure that he is running with proper leverage to give him more power and to deflect some of the more jarring type hits. This can be specifically hindering with a zone running system because it is the runner's responsibility to read the blocking and decide which space to attack. Once Maroney is able to just read and react I fully expect to see the back we all want LoMo to be.

BTW, other than Pony, you won't find someone who likes Maroney more than I do. My criticism is a case of someone pushing a guy who can be the best RB in the game to actualize it, not harping on a mediocre kid.

Pony, for a guy who loves Maroney so much, you could at least spell his first name right. :rolleyes: :p

I should also say that FO's numbers haven't been adjusted for opponent yet and he will likely come down a little once they do. Probably still be in the top 10 though.

It is Laurence.:bricks:

But more to the point, last year he was getting into space and just throwing off tacklers with a stiff arm. That Bengals game was amazing. This year that hasnt really been so obvious, thus far. I too see him dancing too much, but hes getting the yardage so whos to complain? LoMo has my vote as a top 10 back, and will probably be in the top 5 by the seasons end.

Last edited:
It is Laurence.:bricks:

But more to the point, last year he was getting into space and just throwing off tacklers with a stiff arm. That Bengals game was amazing. This year that hasnt really been so obvious, thus far. I too see him dancing too much, but hes getting the yardage so whos to complain? LoMo has my vote as a top 10 back, and will probably be in the top 5 by the seasons end.

AAB, check out the bottom of Pony's post. You will see a little line that says

Last edited by PonyExpress : Yesterday at 04:47 PM.

Pony originally spelled it with a "w" but he changed it without a public mea culpa. ;)

I'm not sure whether he is avoiding the press after what he may have perceived as a negative story about his "dancing" last week, or whether he was injured. I noticed he shook BB's hand after the game crossing the field, so he seemed functional.

Also, BB addressed the "dancing" on the Big Show the other day and basically said that b/c the Jets and Chargers play 2-gap that a greater amount of patience is required by the RB.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey