O - Line
-Run - 5.
-Pass - 1.

D - Line
-Run - 17.
-Pass - 20.

Special Teams - 11.

these rankins are so interesting....

so far in our losses its the offense that has let us down by not scoring enough points, and yet they rate is so very high

on the flip side, the defense has done pretty darn good, but these rankings portray it to be so bad

what do we believe?

so far in our losses its the offense that has let us down by not scoring enough points, and yet they rate is so very high

on the flip side, the defense has done pretty darn good, but these rankings portray it to be so bad

what do we believe?

And, BTW, they're play-by-play, adjusted for opponent strength.

what do we believe?

Defense bad????? Are you kidding. If someone told you before the season that the Pats would have the 8th best D in the league, you'd have thrown a party....with an open bar. 8th in a league with 32 teams is NOT bad.

The only part of our defense that ranks poorly is the line, which doesn't really surprise me at all, considering how effectively some teams have run on us, and how little pressure we bring with a four-man rush.

Defense bad????? Are you kidding. If someone told you before the season that the Pats would have the 8th best D in the league, you'd have thrown a party....with an open bar. 8th in a league with 32 teams is NOT bad.

well, i was referring mostly do the d-line...

Most of the losses, the offense has had no problem moving the ball, but had trouble putting 7 on the board. Thats something that tends to be non predictive.

what do we believe?

8th is so bad? 8th is the upper echelon.

Rankings are pretty cool, but I think the only meaningful one is this:

6-2

The only part of our defense that ranks poorly is the line, which doesn't really surprise me at all, considering how effectively some teams have run on us, and how little pressure we bring with a four-man rush.

I wouldn't worry about that. DVOA is a great stat, but the individual unit stats are kind of silly, and work on some huge assumptions that are mostly not valid.

For instance, ALY (adjusted Line Yards) essentially ranks lines by making the assumption that the line is responsible for the first 10 yards and everything else is the RB. IE, any runs longer than 10 are truncated to 10 and an average is done. Its just an assumption that isn't valid (avoiding loss of yards is definitely a RB skill...although the line does play some part)

Rankings are pretty cool, but I think the only meaningful one is this:

6-2

in terms of predicting future wins, CURRENT Wins is actually not the best stat. DVOA (combined with upcoming schedule) is better and probably Pythag wins is better too

but in terms of measuring how many Wins you have, Wins is great!!

Last edited:
I wouldn't worry about that. DVOA is a great stat, but the individual unit stats are kind of silly, and work on some huge assumptions that are mostly not valid.

For instance, ALY (adjusted Line Yards) essentially ranks lines by making the assumption that the line is responsible for the first 10 yards and everything else is the RB. IE, any runs longer than 10 are truncated to 10 and an average is done. Its just an assumption that isn't valid (avoiding loss of yards is definitely a RB skill...although the line does play some part)

I like the overall and unit (meaning Offense, Defense, and Special Teams) DVOA. anything below that I basically ignore wrt DVOA

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes