PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Football Outsiders: New England Offense on record pace

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not sure I'm down with ranking BJGE over all these other RBs (Peterson, Rice, etc) but maybe I'm just not used to seeing media fanning any of our players.

FootballOutsider's player rankings aren't what you think they are. To repeat what always gets said,

BJGE isn't better than Peterson. BJGE running behind NE's line, with Tom Brady threatening the pass, and Welker and Gronk and Branch and Crumpler blocking, is better than Peterson behind Minny's line, with Minny's receivers and TEs blocking, and Favre threatening to throw.

its a measure of the running game, not the back.

FootballOutsider's player rankings aren't what you think they are. To repeat what always gets said,

BJGE isn't better than Peterson. BJGE running behind NE's line, with Tom Brady threatening the pass, and Welker and Gronk and Branch and Crumpler blocking, is better than Peterson behind Minny's line, with Minny's receivers and TEs blocking, and Favre threatening to throw.

its a measure of the running game, not the back.

I'll co-sign this.

I'm always very wary of using stats, but FO does a pretty good job of making the stats as close to representative of actual production & effectiveness as #s can get. BJGE has been a very effective back this year, and the metrics reinforce that. I have to eat some crow on that since I thought the guy was a JAG.

I still think hes a JAG. The blocking is drastically better this year (especially from the TEs)

Peterson is just behind BJGE in their system. And to be fair, the Pats now have the top run blocking OL in their system:

FOOTBALL OUTSIDERS: Innovative Statistics, Intelligent Analysis | 2010 OFFENSIVE LINES

Minnesota is 12th. They make no claims to be able to separate RB performance from OLINE performance, so it' seasy to imagine that Peterson would be incredible running in the NE offense and BJGE would struggle with Minnesota...

So the Pats have the #1 run-blocking OL and the #6 passblock OL in the NFL now? Color me surprised. I remember when the Pats were unable to run the football effectively in previous years. Now do you attribute this to the return of Logan Mankins or just an overall improvement of the OL in general, ie improvements of Connolly and Vollmer?

Oh and PS. Are you saying that BJGE is an average RB bolstered by a great blocking OL or is he a very good RB whose numbers are made even better by that OL? Cos by the eye test I wouldn't say he's better than AP by any means. He lacks that speed to take it the distance, he doesn't run over as many people. But he has been very effective in our offense, particularly in goalline scoring and running over safeties at the second level from what I've seen.

Last edited:
This sobering post from Northside, under the thread "Rex Ryan says he's here to kick Belichick's @#$ ", reduced my enthusiasm.

===========
We have only scored a total of 7 points in the second half in the three previous games against Rexy, we must greatly improve in that area.
===========

ok...what the F is DVOA?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back