PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Football Outsiders: NEP Defense is tougher than you think.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JSn

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
New England Patriots Defense is Tougher Than You Think - MVN Outsider

Excerpt:

With linebacker Jerod Mayo going down, there were a few issues containing Jackson out of the backfield, but overall the defense adjusted and did not make too many mistakes or give up big plays.

Against the Jets, the Patriots limited their powerful running game and forced them to win it on rookie Mark Sanchez's arm. The defense did great holding the Jets to 16 points and keeping the game close enough for the offense to have a few opportunities to win the game.
New_York_Jets_7364.jpg

Last edited:
I thought they did well against the run. However, this defense can't generate enough pressure unless the offense scores points.

I thought they did well against the run. However, this defense can't generate enough pressure unless the offense scores points.

What the defense has to do, has nothing to do with the offense. Those are two separate components.

I think what Hey Bro! meant was then when the game is close they have to guard against the run and do not blitz or send more defenders at the QB. As opposed to when they score points, get a good lead, forcing opps to pass more, and in turn they blitz more which generates pressure. They do not generate much pressure out of their base defense.

What the defense has to do, has nothing to do with the offense. Those are two separate components.

Why is that? They are interrelated.

The defense's job is to allow fewer points than the offense gains. The offense's job is to score more points than the defense allows. What each one has to do is influenced by what the other does. If you're up 21 points, you can generally ignore the run and focus on stopping the pass, including rushing the passer.

The Jets had -2 yard in passing in the first half...not bad...

They do not generate much pressure out of their base defense.

Exactly right. I think we'd all really like to see more pressure on the QB out of the base defense to help out the young(ish) secondary.

Why is that? They are interrelated.

The defense's job is to allow fewer points than the offense gains. The offense's job is to score more points than the defense allows. What each one has to do is influenced by what the other does. If you're up 21 points, you can generally ignore the run and focus on stopping the pass, including rushing the passer.

My thinking is that BB approaches the game with the philosophy in that it is a 60 minute game and you don't give up on executing any part it.

So in that regard, the defense plays the same as if it were down by 7 or up by 20, and I think this is good practice.. to get players to consistently play 60 minutes. This is good discipline.

So in the final analysis, the defense would not be dictated by the offense except in assessing probabilities and tendencies of the opponents offense when down by 20 or up by 7. If the other team for some reason goes to the run even when they're down by 20, I don't think the defense ignores that to protect against the pass. You attempt to shut them down any way you can.

Last edited:
I would be happy if the defense allows 16 points per game for the rest of the season.

I would be happy if the defense allows 16 points per game for the rest of the season.

Me too, but I'd still like to see a bit more aggressiveness and less of a soft vanilla look.

Very pleased with the D.. there are sometimes 4 or 5 brand new guys out there.. it should get better as time goes on.

The defense is cool, I think it could be a lot better if it were not such a basic vanilla scheme.

The Falcons will be the toughest test so far with their strong running game and good passing game. I'm optimistic.

The defense statistically looks fine, but if you watch the games carefully, you are praying for the opposing team to NOT pass the ball. Let's look at the Jets game. For 2 quarters, I thought Rex Ryan was doing his best Herm Edwards impersonation by just running the ball and not putting Sanchez in a position to make too many throws down the field. That was playing into the Patriots favor because Belichick eats game managers alive. In the third quarter, Ryan shifted his game plan and went to the pass primarily. The Pats could never solve Sanchez. They got lucky on a few 3rd down incompletions by Sanchez to help keep the score a one possession game.

I think that Bodden, Springs, and Wilhite are MUCH better than Oneal and Hobbs. People are overblowing the Mayo and Seymour absences too much. The Pats have the personnel on defense to be successful and their depth is incredible, it's just that the coaching is not there. I think Dean Pees should be fired at some point this season(the sooner the better!) because the defensive philosophy has not changed at all since 2008. Playing 10-15 yards off of WRs against below average qbs is getting pretty annoying. Pees defense is certainly a bend but don't break unit which I hate, but what is really concerning is he isn't maximizing his players strengths. Bodden and Springs are good enough corners who could be left on islands in close man to man coverage while blitz packages are being employed. I think Burgess is a fantastic player who's main asset is rushing the passer at the edges.

I'm not a rah-rah guy, but the Pats defensive unit just doesn't look excited to play football like they used to. The defense lacks bravado and personality--that stuff the coaches instill into their players, not everyone inherits it. Even during the 07 and 08 years, the 110% effort to get a sack, get a fumble strip, or knock a players head off wasn't there--we all know the tackling and the hitting has been pretty putrid. This is to be blamed on coaching. Crenell brought it and his players bought into it. It's time for a change, and Pees needs to go--I think there are several defensive masterminds out there--we don't need the best one with an offense like we have.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes