PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Football Outsiders Article on 2 TE Offenses

Status
Not open for further replies.
As the military saying goes : "Amateurs talk about strategy and professionals talk about logistics" . . . I have a feeling that Belichick would say that the analagy works for football with "Amateurs talk about play calls and professionals talk about formations".

BelichickFan said:
As the military saying goes : "Amateurs talk about strategy and professionals talk about logistics" . . . I have a feeling that Belichick would say that the analagy works for football with "Amateurs talk about play calls and professionals talk about formations".

Formations or perhaps situations. ;)

Great find.

Regards,
Chris

It's interesting that the article basically discusses the just the running aspect of the 2 TE formation. When you are blessed with TWO TEs who can threaten the middle (when they are healthy together :mad: ), the Passing options of a 2 TE, 2 WR offense can be equally daunting, especially in an age where the Tampa 2 is often the base defense teams use. There are a lot of bad match ups that the 2 TE 2 WR formation creates for the offense.

BTW- the best point the article made was that it was especially effective against the 3-4 defense. The more I thought on this the more sense it made. Great find, thanks

The article demonstrates Graham's value to the offense although blocking isn't very glamorous. Without Graham, the Pat's run-per-carry against the Bills was 1 yard less than the first Bills game, and that was including Chad Jackson reverse for 17 yards or so.

Also the Pat's seem to have have made a decision this season not to give Light a TE to help pass block unless there's a serious risk of Brady getting hurt. As a result Graham had 4 catches in a recent game.

Last edited:
I loved the stress on how unreadable the personnel package is, in both balanced and imbalanced formations. Guys who can do more than one thing well out of block/catch/run are the keys to versatility.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back