PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Football Outsiders - AFCE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting that they appear to blame the playoff loss on the defense. I thought they played well for most of the game.

They definitely got better toward the end of the season too--maybe not as dominant as the scoreboard said, but certainly not a "mirage."

I remember the slot being covered by a number of people actually (Butler, Wilhite, even Chung at times). That in and of itself indicates that no one was really getting the job done there consistently enough.

Interesting that they appear to blame the playoff loss on the defense. I thought they played well for most of the game.

They definitely got better toward the end of the season too--maybe not as dominant as the scoreboard said, but certainly not a "mirage."

the team, both offense and defense had a bad game, cant count one game to subtract half a season's worth of improvement

Interesting that he mentions third down defense and poor ones tending to improve the next season...when talking about the JETS...

Fact is without knowing how many of those 17 FA they can retain let alone what signings they could possible make in light of attempting to keep even half of them yet knowing they have very little draft capital and had a disappointing draft class performance from the 2010 class, it's kind of silly to predict them to return as one of the best D's in the league.

I remember the slot being covered by a number of people actually (Butler, Wilhite, even Chung at times). That in and of itself indicates that no one was really getting the job done there consistently enough.

Actually not a mixture. we started the year with Wilhite and did pretty good. Once he got injured chung tried playing it and was not very effective, then butler got alot of snaps.towards the end with kyle nicked up they went to chung alot on the slot with butler rotating with kyle on the outside.

a reason drop in chung play was due to change in responsibility.a reason i worry about butler as wilhite did a decent job against even TE.

Last edited:
Very interesting. NE struggled covering slot WRs.

Isnt that Butlers job? :rolleyes:

FOOTBALL OUTSIDERS: Innovative Statistics, Intelligent Analysis | Four Downs: AFC East
While this board does a tremendous job of finding articles and inferring blame undeserving on their favorite whipping boy, this is a weak attempt even by that gauge.
On line from an article saying we struggled with slot recievers (not even backed up with a whisper of evidence) is suddenly an indictment of a corner who didnt play the slot guy very much? Did you notice how the article discussed the improvement over the final quarter of the season, and note that Butlers play increased at that time? Nah, just find a negative and chuck it at your whipping boy, more fun that way.

I'm ot for or against Butler...but I would think this coming year is his make it or break it season....

He was drafted to be a top CB.....after 2 years he should be far enough up the learning curve to start earning his keep.....

If he starts playing like BB envisioned when he was drafted, the Pats DB corps will be solid....

While this board does a tremendous job of finding articles and inferring blame undeserving on their favorite whipping boy, this is a weak attempt even by that gauge.
On line from an article saying we struggled with slot recievers (not even backed up with a whisper of evidence) is suddenly an indictment of a corner who didnt play the slot guy very much? Did you notice how the article discussed the improvement over the final quarter of the season, and note that Butlers play increased at that time? Nah, just find a negative and chuck it at your whipping boy, more fun that way.

It is what it is.

The less playing time Butler has, the better it is for the Pats. With Bodden Mcourty and Arrington (FA), the Pats need 1 more good CB to compete with passing teams like GB.

Heres more good news on Butler.

By the numbers (courtesy of Nuggetpalooza):

146. Butler has been penalized more yards than any other New England defensive back in each of the last two seasons (84 this year and 62 in 2009). His 146 penalty yards the last two years is fifth most in the NFL among defensive backs. (Here’s how they break down: 1. 203: Stanford Routt, OAK; 2. 163: Marcus Trufant, SEA; 3. 159, Chris Johnson, OAK; 4. 154, Charles Woodson, GB; 5. 146, Darius Butler, Patriots.)

The skinny: Assuming Bodden is back at full strength in 2011, a combination of Bodden and McCourty would give New England an elite pair of corners, and presumably bump Arrington down the depth chart to nickel corner, which is probably where he should be anyway. Butler and Wilhite would also fill in around the starters, but expect the Patriots to try and build depth at the corner spot through the draft and free agency. Meanwhile, free safety figures to be solid with Chung and Sanders, but the strong safety spot could see some turnover, as Page could push Meriweather for a starting spot in 2011.

It Is What It Is Patriots by Position: Defensive backs

Actually not a mixture. we started the year with Wilhite and did pretty good. Once he got injured chung tried playing it and was not very effective, then butler got alot of snaps.towards the end with kyle nicked up they went to chung alot on the slot with butler rotating with kyle on the outside.

a reason drop in chung play was due to change in responsibility.a reason i worry about butler as wilhite did a decent job against even TE.

That is not my recollection at all. Wilhite actually got benched and BB went with a 3 safety look in the Baltimore game. I'm thinking it's mostly because of tackling issues that were quite evident in the first few games of the season (he also replaced Guyton with Fletcher for the same reason).

After a while, injuries to Chung and Wilhite dictated PT more than anything else.

All that said, I don't believe Butler is a good fit at slot and I'm not sure whether Arrington or Bodden would be good there either. And while Wilhite is playable there, it's a position that could certainly be upgraded.

And while Wilhite is playable there, it's a position that could certainly be upgraded.

I agree 100%

Id like to see this addressed through the draft or FA.

That is not my recollection at all. Wilhite actually got benched and BB went with a 3 safety look in the Baltimore game. I'm thinking it's mostly because of tackling issues that were quite evident in the first few games of the season (he also replaced Guyton with Fletcher for the same reason).

After a while, injuries to Chung and Wilhite dictated PT more than anything else.

All that said, I don't believe Butler is a good fit at slot and I'm not sure whether Arrington or Bodden would be good there either. And while Wilhite is playable there, it's a position that could certainly be upgraded.

Baltimore does not have a true WR.they are a run based team so you saw alot of 3 safety package. Even in 3rd down baltimore usually ran only 2 WR .

Wilhite benching was last year. If you remember non of the Slot guys or TE had big games till wilhite injury.

Kyle was what a spl teamer backup CB last year and this year he started. Our improvement in the run defence and screens was due to greatly having 2 CB [devin and kyle] who are physical and tough. I am always amused when people discount the fact that butler was given every chance to succeed and once they rotated kyle in he took the job over.We heard how santio holmes is going to burn us and guess what kyle was covering him and did a tremendous job,not even 1 thread post jets game when he played him.Kyle was also a rookie this year and even though he played spl team /pratice squad i think this was pratically his rookie season. I see him and devin as the future CB.

I see thie

Kyle and Devin on the oustide.
wilhite on the inside
Bodden - rotates both outside/inside and blitzes . he will play more of the charles woodson role. come on blitz cover slot/outside guys who role inside in 4 WR sets.
with his experience and size , i think he can be the playmaker we have missed in the back .
butler first backup .

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill