PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Football Night in America

Status
Not open for further replies.
The format is the problem moreso than the individuals. Sounds like many here want to make it about KO. That IMO has more to do with politics than the show itself. Its the show and its content that I have a problem with.

But it will probably do what it is intended to do...bring in a new breed of football fans from the masses with their showy production and pedestrian level substance. Much like 50% of Olbermanns highly rated Countdown, which routinely beats Bill Oreilly's factor among the age groups that count (18-54), they throw in the fluff for the tabloid masses.

sorry couldnt resist:D

The format is the problem moreso than the individuals. Sounds like many here want to make it about KO. That IMO has more to do with politics than the show itself. Its the show and its content that I have a problem with.

But it will probably do what it is intended to do...bring in a new breed of football fans from the masses with their showy production and pedestrian level substance. Much like 50% of Olbermanns highly rated Countdown, which routinely beats Bill Oreilly's factor among the age groups that count (18-54), they throw in the fluff for the tabloid masses.

the show wasnt any better last yr without KO...
bottom line they want to talk more and show less highlights.

Count me in as one the can't stand the guys on that show or the show itself. Collinsworth and Olberman are the worst, Bettis (eventhough I like the guy) doesn't fit and their skits like Olbermans' "Worst player" or whatever is sad and pathetic.

I can't stand "Football Night in America", they need a new format and new hosts.

Olbermann's fantastic. I agree on Collinsworth lately, but overall I think he's decent and interesting.

I guess we are all entitled to our opinion. But everyone knows what I think of Olberman...he freaking sucks! I cannot stand any of them, especially Collinsworth and that little dweeb Costas.

Olberman ought to do his Worst person in America every week and declare himself the recipient of the award.:mad:

As someone who thinks O'Reilly and Olbermann call each other at night and laugh at the sheep together as they fill their pockets, I think Olbermann is a sign of the problem. Don't give me shtick, sell the product on it's own, it is good enough. Instead of Worst Person in the NFL, how bout some angle on next week's game, there are a million different stories they could have run on the PHI or NYG.

And you are right it is about politics, I don't want any when I am trying to get my football fix, no Rush, no O'Reilly, no Olbermann, no Dennis Miller.

just one man's opinion

If by "routinely" you mean "once in the entire history of the show" then you would be right, as Fox and CNN both crush MSNBC in all age groups. And interestingly, even Olbermann's lone triumph was on a sparsely watched Friday night - when most normal people are out partying or spending time with their families, angry lefties are home alone, glued to the screen in paroxysms of mutual self-smugness. Olbermann is the opiate for people who like to think that they are better than everyone else - but know down deep in their hearts that they really aren't.

But it's perhaps understandable that someone who is a fan of Olbermann plays loose with the facts.

I couldn't stand Olbermann when he was on ESPN, before we knew about his whacko politics or how deeply his personality disorders went. It is obvious that Dan Patrick was the class of that duo, and why in retrospect ESPN was not unhappy to let him go, and pay Dan.

The reason he is there is to try to boost his miserable ratings on MSNBC by shamelessly cross-promoting on an NFL show. And it us poor fans who have to suffer through these shows who are paying the price. And if the faces of Costas, et al tell us volumes of what they think of their co-host and his miserable schtick.

As FNIA is down an average of 13% since Olbermann was added, it should be interesting to see what happens next - will NBC continue this effort to prop up its failing MSNBC, or will common sense and reign and get the program back to analyzing football.

R

Last edited:
Word is that execs are already unhappy. I wouldn't expect that NBCwould keep the show in its current format much longer. Too bad MSNBC, last in the ratings, never figured that out for Olbermann.

I don't know where you're getting your information - 'though I suspect it rhymes with Swill and Schmo-reilly - but this is not accurate. In fact, no cable-news show has increased its ratings MORE than Olbermann and that's with Papa Bear lying his way to the top for literally YEARS before Olbermann's show ever hit the air. You guys really need to try actually WATCHING his show, which is outstanding, instead of listening to yet another angry white male liar with, for no reason whatsoever, a chip on his shoulder. I mean, what?

And you are right it is about politics, I don't want any when I am trying to get my football fix, no Rush, no O'Reilly, no Olbermann, no Dennis Miller.

just one man's opinion

Please enlighten us - when has Olbermann injected politics into the football show? He has a POLITICS show, which is excellent, smart, FACT-based and entertaining - and which makes a lot of the angry white male brigade who eats up the lies of Bill O'Reilly like it's F-ing Cheerios. It's 2007, people. Bush lied. Papa Bear does, too. It's time for the truth. Join us, won't you?

But it's perhaps understandable that someone who is a fan of Olbermann plays loose with the facts.

I couldn't stand Olbermann when he was on ESPN, before we knew about his whacko politics

Examples, please. Like Olbermann, many of us fight the B.S. spewed in society today by asking for evidence. Please share with us what his "whacko politics" comprise.

Examples, please. Like Olbermann, many of us fight the B.S. spewed in society today by asking for evidence. Please share with us what his "whacko politics" comprise.

Many people don't like Olberman's schtick. Don't take it personally. Frankly, he's been awful on Sunday Night Football thus far, embarrassing, and I've never even seen his other program.

I don't watch it. After the pregame shows and two games, I'm 8 hours in and need an hour to re-charge before the Sunday Night game :)

As for Olberman, he has a sharp, quick mind but isn't as cool as he thinks he is and there's no reason to force negativity like he does with his "worst man of the day" or whatever it's called.

Cris Collinsworth and Keith Olbermann are horrible, they need to be replaced.
After a few weeks I'm already irritated by these guys, I won't be able to stand an entire season with those two.

Olbermann is the biggest waste of space since Dennis Miller.

Collinsworth is a turd who can't even pretend to hide his hatred for BB and the Pats.

Costas is just as bad, and even less informed about football.

Tiki Barber is the only guy on the show that is decent.

Just a turd line-up across the board, IMO.

Last edited:
To sum up the problems: Olbermann and Costas are baseball guys pure and simple. Collinsworth is a jackass. Bettis brings nothing insightful to the table. Barber and King are the only interesting analysts and they are seldomly seen. The highlights are wayyyyy too short.

Please enlighten us - when has Olbermann injected politics into the football show? He has a POLITICS show, which is excellent, smart, FACT-based and entertaining - and which makes a lot of the angry white male brigade who eats up the lies of Bill O'Reilly like it's F-ing Cheerios. It's 2007, people. Bush lied. Papa Bear does, too. It's time for the truth. Join us, won't you?
Olbermann's mere presence injects politics in the show. He is a polarizing political character just as O'Reilly is. I prefer to have my own beliefs rather than join either one of them, and what those beliefs are has nothing to do with beating Cinn this weekend.

I don't know nor care about Olbermann's politics one way or an other... but he's just embarrassingly painful to watch as he hams it up on an already embarrassingly painful excuse of a half-time show.

Examples, please. Like Olbermann, many of us fight the B.S. spewed in society today by asking for evidence.

I could just quote you on the other threads where you admit he backtracks, and explain how faults his "staff" for his factually challenged pieces. His propaganda pieces are such a target rich environment, I wouldn't know where to start.

But this is a football forum, so I will restrict my argument to his idiotic things that he has said just in the last few weeks.

Exhibit #1: In his "Worst Person in the NFL" (titled as such because he has a similar schtick on the left wingnut show), Mr. Factual stated:

"Up to that point Pennington had completed 12-for-16 passes for 124 yards and a touchdown. And he'd gotten blindsided only because of the hole at left guard after the Jets traded Pete Kendall."

The only problem with this is that the sack was giving up by the Left Tackle. But hey, what matter the facts, when I have a good opportunity to sneer at someone ?

Dr. Z, to his credit, says it best:
My colleague Peter King stands out as a hard-working print journalist trying to bring news to an arena that's too cluttered with personality enhancement. Keith Olbermann is another matter, though.

This is like the corporate executive at the company picnic, trying to impress the work force with his perceived cleverness. You can hear the clank of heavy chains. Boardroom humor. Even worse, though, is the war he wages with facts. They are enemies to people such as this. He made a big point of pointing out that the Jets' trade of left guard Pete Kendall led to Chad Pennington's injury via sack. The problem was that it was left tackle D'Brickashaw Ferguson who gave up the sack to Jarvis Green. Others jumped on this supposed irony. The NY Daily News' radio and TV columnist, Bob Raissman, got all over the CBS announcing team of Phil Simms and Jim Nantz for not stressing this whole Kendall-Pennington thing, in other words, for not reporting wrong information because this Raissman character thought it was a good angle. Please God, save me from heehaws pretending to be journalists.

Exhibit #2: On his wingnut show, Olbermann did an opinion piece where he seemed to argue for leniency for Vick:

Those who hate Vick have made no secret they expect the judge, at sentencing on December 10, and the Commissioner of the National Football League (as soon as possible thereafter), to punish him with the lengthiest prison term, the heaviest fine, the most definite of indefinite suspensions.

And here’s why they are wrong.

If you hate him, the equation should be pretty simple. His $130 million contract is gone, his freedom is gone, his reputation is gone. We already know what he is -- we’re now just arguing about the price. And the real price comes due after jail and after the suspension, when Michael Vick tries to return to football in 2010, maybe 2009.

But the sooner the better.

No NFL miscreant has been so vilified while an active player. Not gun-play and trouble-at-strip clubs veteran Pacman Jones. Not serial batterer and general trouble-maker Lawrence Phillips. Not turned-state’s-evidence-against-his-friends-in-a-murder-trial Ray Lewis. Not a drunk driver who killed a mother, Leonard Little, in 1998 and was then arrested anew for driving drunk in 2004.

But if you think him evil, you should still be rooting for him to be returned to football, as soon as possible, from the hell of incarceration, and the hell of suspension, to the hell of a life as Michael Vick, would-be quarterback, pleading for a job while the hounds of public approbation are nipping at his heels

Pretty clear intent here right ? Go easy on Vick because other people have done worse, and besides, public scorn is a much fitter punishment than jail or fines. This piece started a firestorm of outrage at MSNBC and Olbermann himself. Right before his first night of FNIA.

So what does he do ? On his opening shtick for Fooball Night in America, Mr Factual backtracks (YOU MUST SEE THIS):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVfRTd6croo

So it's not what you said, it's the way you said it ?

The best part is the reaction of his co-hosts:
Collinsworth: So basically, every week, your going to do a commentary, and then backtrack the next week ? Is this the pattern ?
Tiki: (to Olbermann) Do we clap for you or do we feel sorry for you ?

Unfortunately, Chris, I'm afraid your right. And Tiki, forget Olbermann - feel sorry for us.

R

p.s. patsox23, I'm still waiting for you to admit you where wrong - again - about the NYT giving a break to leftnut moveon.org. Especially since they now have admitted it. What are you now ? 0 fer a zillion ? Keep trying, you might get a hold of one some day.

Last edited:
I could just quote you on the other threads where you admit he backtracks, and explain how faults his "staff" for his factually challenged pieces. His propaganda pieces are such a target rich environment, I wouldn't know where to start.

But this is a football forum, so I will restrict my argument to his idiotic things that he has said just in the last few weeks.

Exhibit #1: In his "Worst Person in the NFL" (titled as such because he has a similar schtick on the left wingnut show), Mr. Factual stated:

The only problem with this is that the sack was giving up by the Left Tackle. But hey, what matter the facts, when I have a good opportunity to sneer at someone ?

Exhibit #2: On his wingnut show, Olbermann did an opinion piece where he seemed to argue for leniency for Vick:

Pretty clear intent here right ? Go easy on Vick because other people have done worse, and besides, public scorn is a much fitter punishment than jail or fines. This piece started a firestorm of outrage at MSNBC and Olbermann himself. Right before his first night of FNIA.

So what does he do ? On his opening shtick for Fooball Night in America, Mr Factual backtracks (YOU MUST SEE THIS):

Unfortunately, Chris, I'm afraid your right. And Tiki, forget Olbermann - feel sorry for us.

R

p.s. patsox23, I'm still waiting for you to admit you where wrong - again - about the NYT giving a break to leftnut moveon.org. Especially since they now have admitted it. What are you now ? 0 fer a zillion ? Keep trying, you might get a hold of one some day.

Seems to me you've got him clarifying something (and, egads, actually APOLOGIZING) for someting he said not entirely well - which I would say is a positive thing in our pathetically irresponsible media these days - and an arguable point on the effect on the jet OL of not having a vet OG on the left side. You're saying that Kendall's sudden absence had NOTHING to do with the sack, and that when Penny got taken down it was all on the LT, and there is no "connective tissue" or tangible ripple effect? It's JUST on the tackle? Please.

As for the NYT/moveon.org story, I don't know what you're referring to - you and I never got into an argument about that, but hey it sure was worthy of all that attention last week. Much better to focus on that than on the catastrophe you neo-cons have visited on the world. My grandkids thank you so much for your complicity in a fiasco that they'll have to pay for on numerous levels.

Last edited:
Olbermann sucks. Collinsworth and Tiki don't bother me at all.
Costa is not a football guy.

R

Thanks for sharing that clip. He obviously has some cojones to bring that to the table. Good for KO. Far bigger stand up guy than I thought. Retractions and corrections are always embarrassing for media personalities. Not that we'd ever see any from the frauds over at your faux news outlets, of course. They are never wrong even when they are proven wrong time and time again.

As far as the point on Vick, seems to me he had it about right. Thats my opinion of course. You must be one of those PITA types that thinks Vick should be drawn and quartered for breaking the dogfighting law.

I think he should get a couple years and then good luck getting back into the NFL. After all, he found jesus so he aint all that bad. :rolleyes:

I don't know nor care about Olbermann's politics one way or an other... but he's just embarrassingly painful to watch as he hams it up on an already embarrassingly painful excuse of a half-time show.

I admit I don't know the guy but he used to many years ago seem good on TV sports. The Olberman of the 21st Century is worse than awful. His segments aren't interesting aren't funny and aren't informative. That's 3 strikes for you baseball obsessed folks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes