PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Football Guys, Leaders, Players

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bostonian1962

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
I was listening to post draft discussion on Devin McCourty talking about how he was the team leader on Rutgers, and how he was real "football smart". Then last night we all heard how Gronkowski was such a "football guy", and how Brandon Spikes was such a team leader. Cunningham is loved my his teammates and has a "non-stop motor on every play". This morning on ESPN the talking heads were talking about how Meyer was bragging about Hernandez and how "football smart" he was. Just now on 98.5 they were talking about Taylor Price, and how he supposedly "eats, drinks, and sleeps football".

I know several of my draft guides had McCourty as the 2nd Best CB in the draft, Gronkowski as the 2nd best TE/Hernandez the 3rd best TE in the draft, and Spikes the 2nd best ILB in the draft, so no doubt they are bringing in talented players.

However, the thing that is excited is the influx of apparent leaders, football smarts, and non-stop motors/team favorites they are flooding onto the roster.

That can not be minimized, especially since the word last year was the lack of these types on the team.

Have you all noticed this about the players they have drafted? I really love this part of the equation. I'm pretty pumped with their approach. Well done.

Good post. I think what most of these players bring to the table is a level of toughness that was missing last year. Gronk looks like he'd run through a brick wall to win, and Spikes is somone who is not afraid to get into the other team's face (literally). McCourty is supposed to be an excellent tackler for a CB. Too often the team got lacsadaisical (sp?) last year when the going got tough. Now BB has brought in a group of talented, tough youngsters, and a bunch of Florida kids who come from a culture of winning.

Good post. I think what most of these players bring to the table is a level of toughness that was missing last year. Gronk looks like he'd run through a brick wall to win, and Spikes is somone who is not afraid to get into the other team's face (literally). McCourty is supposed to be an excellent tackler for a CB. Too often the team got lacsadaisical (sp?) last year when the going got tough. Now BB has brought in a group of talented, tough youngsters, and a bunch of Florida kids who come from a culture of winning.

A buddy of mine just told me on the phone that of their first 7 picks, 5 were team captains. In fact, Mesko, the punter was even team captain. He was the first punter in Michigan history to be elected team captain.

I'm just reading on this center Larsen that they just drafted, and he's another off the chart intelligent guy, who made all the line calls for NC St.

Damn this was a smart draft!

I was listening to post draft discussion on Devin McCourty talking about how he was the team leader on Rutgers, and how he was real "football smart". Then last night we all heard how Gronkowski was such a "football guy", and how Brandon Spikes was such a team leader. Cunningham is loved my his teammates and has a "non-stop motor on every play". This morning on ESPN the talking heads were talking about how Meyer was bragging about Hernandez and how "football smart" he was. Just now on 98.5 they were talking about Taylor Price, and how he supposedly "eats, drinks, and sleeps football".

I know several of my draft guides had McCourty as the 2nd Best CB in the draft, Gronkowski as the 2nd best TE/Hernandez the 3rd best TE in the draft, and Spikes the 2nd best ILB in the draft, so no doubt they are bringing in talented players.

However, the thing that is excited is the influx of apparent leaders, football smarts, and non-stop motors/team favorites they are flooding onto the roster.

That can not be minimized, especially since the word last year was the lack of these types on the team.

Have you all noticed this about the players they have drafted? I really love this part of the equation. I'm pretty pumped with their approach. Well done.

While some teams reach for need, the depth of this draft clearly allowed BB to not have to reach for the type of guy he wants. I'll gladly take guys that are a bit less talented but excel in maturity, responsiblity and above all coachability because they end up as better players.

While some teams reach for need, the depth of this draft clearly allowed BB to not have to reach for the type of guy he wants. I'll gladly take guys that are a bit less talented but excel in maturity, responsiblity and above all coachability because they end up as better players.

The slackers and whiners on last year's team had a tremendous impact on BB. This will not happen again during his tenure.

This has to be one of the reasons why BB passed on taking Dez Bryant and wouldn't trade for Brandom Marshall. They are reshaping the locker room with team leaders.

At last count there were four team captains picked, which is part of this years equation.. guys who are elected to lead by their peers and then assume the role are good for this team or any team.

You and me both AJ. With them taking a pass on Bryant, and Blount, I almost wonder if they pulled these types off their board this year. Heck, they could have had Blount in any round and didn't draft him. Either they didn't rate him high, or they were ONLY going with character guys. This approach won us three SBs before, and last year taught them a lesson perhaps.

Last edited:
Winning, football-loving attitudes along with intelligence, high character and leadership from within have always been hallmarks of BB's Patriot teams. Last year- not so much.

I'm sure that getting these types of players, which would lend itself to team captains in some instances, weighed heavily on their board.

I love this draft, and I can't wait to see these guys in Pats' uniforms.

Also looking forward to the "numbers" thread, so we can figure out who has "tight" numbers.

I can't believe the amount of cynicism being displayed for Cunningham on this board.

He is going to really make a lot of people eat their words, probably in 2011 but hopefully 2010.

Overall we have filled most holes we had but like any draft, whether the guys are good enough to make the grade or stay healthy will only be decided with time.

Last edited:
Excellent observations by the OP.....I think these things were very much in the forefront of BB's mind while he was setting up his board.

A lot of fans noted the lack of leadership from afar last year.....I highly doubt it was missed by BB either.

This could be one of the most fun things to track this year.....team attitude. Both the new guys and how the vets step it up.....like Big Vince has already.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back