PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Football fans support players over owners, poll shows.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not surprised. Seeing how players actually work and play hard for their money. Best to see it going to them rather than greedy owners.

Here's hoping that this new lawsuit filed by Carl Eller and other retired players will in fact help bring the parties back together to get a deal done. It renders meaningless the owners' argument that the union decertified "in bad faith."

And props to those on this site who pointed out the utter hypocrisy of Roger Goodell standing at the podium and gladhanding with draft picks whom the NFL then would be refusing to let go to work and start earning money.

Retired players file antitrust suit against NFL - NFL - Yahoo! Sports

In the Eller case, Hausfeld believes a crack has been found in the NFL’s armor.

“How silly is it to have a draft in April and then say, congratulations, you’re locked out?” he asked.

“We see something different,” Hausfeld said. “[The NFL has] created more of a mess for themselves. If we can end the lockout and there is no union then they’re going to individually negotiate with every player and former player.

“This is basically the proverbial straw that breaks the camel’s back. Hopefully it forces everyone to the table.”

Last edited:
Here's hoping that this new lawsuit filed by Carl Eller and other retired players will in fact help bring the parties back together to get a deal done. It renders meaningless the owners' argument that the union decertified "in bad faith."

And props to those on this site who pointed out the utter hypocrisy of Roger Goodell standing at the podium and gladhanding with draft picks whom the NFL then would be refusing to let go to work and start earning money.

Retired players file antitrust suit against NFL - NFL - Yahoo! Sports

In the Eller case, Hausfeld believes a crack has been found in the NFL’s armor.

“How silly is it to have a draft in April and then say, congratulations, you’re locked out?” he asked.

“We see something different,” Hausfeld said. “[The NFL has] created more of a mess for themselves. If we can end the lockout and there is no union then they’re going to individually negotiate with every player and former player.

“This is basically the proverbial straw that breaks the camel’s back. Hopefully it forces everyone to the table.”

Simple, The League forms an alternate LLC immediately. Let's call in NFL II. It could be stated that it is a Tripe AAA NFL Football Team. There is nothing preventing them from doing so. They can leave the "OLD" NFL standing and let each present player sue all they want. If each Team said I don't want to invest in the Old NFL anymore, I am transferring my assets to the NFL II League. The League already has all of the infrastructure in place. If the players have no representation and there are about 3,000 Draftable players, the League could hold NFL Draft II. The players are chosen under the new governing body NFL II. So BB starts with a new slate with all his Draft picks (not scabs) and if said player refuses to support they are put on the suspended list.

Now there are a few hundred NFL players that are in limbo right now without contracts in the Old NFL. If I am one of them..... I want to be paid to play. These are some top players who no longer are committed to a union, therefor there is no reason for them not to want to play for an alternate League. These FAs can join the rookie Draft class that will be expanded to perhaps fifteen rounds. These are not scab pick up Teams and have talent. Young , Hasselback, Bulger, Pennington, Quinn, Collins etc. and some name players like Taylor, Benson, DeAngelo Williams, Moss . Edwards etc. These guys are FA, non union available players.

Would I pay money to see BB put together a new Team with very talented FAs and top Draft picks that are not scabs? Yep!!!!! It would be fun. No Brady and Manning and Brees etc.? They give two craps about me the fans so "tinkle" on them. Would I rather see Brady? Yes. Would I still watch NFL II ? Absolutely. Rebates to the ticket holders and Networks would have to take place but we would have some very good NFL Football while guys like Mankins who are insulted to make $10m a year watch on TV. If you don't think when that mansion and Mercedes payment is due and all those baby mamas screaming for money, that some or most of these guys cut a deal with NFL II, you would be wrong. By next season some , maybe not all would like to restart their present contracts once more.

It is not anti-trust if the Old NFL still technically exists. Each individual Team has the option of removing the assets from one entity to the other. The Old NFL can decide if it will have games when and if. "If we are playing in Miami on Sunday Logan, make sure you get your butt there. It's on you."

It was agreed by the last CBA that the NFL could opt out. They took that option. If they feel there needs to be an "adjustment" it was within their rights. Now the players are saying no, you can't without showing proprietary business dealings. I am for the owners on that. I usually side with the players but I hate Lawyers more than the owners and love to see a guy like Mr. De take a hit because it is all political for him. It wasn't perfect but all indications were that what deal was on the table could have been tweaked and it was apparent that Mr. De made up his mind to sue.

I vote NFL II .Let's see what BB can create and play some football. Nothing stopping Brady and Manning et al of starting their own League. Fun!
DW Toys

Last edited:
Given the owners behavior all the way leading up to that point I think the players knew that they had no choice because the owners weren't going to bargain in any kind of good faith. The owners had 2 years in which they could have made serious efforts to come up with a deal that worked for all but they never wanted that kind of deal and really wanted to crush the players and force a deal on them that was essentially their shopping list, they wanted a lockout and did everything in their power to get just that. Now it will come down to the draw of judges and the question of how far either side will push it if they lose. If it ever got to the Supremes the players are toast because this Supreme Court is the most pro big business in history and will always side with ownership. I seriously doubt it goes that far and i will be interested to see how far the owners push it if they lose. From what i can tell they have until the end of May or early June to get a deal done without disrupting the season, any further and it will be impossible to have free agency and any kind of camps to get players ready, and trying to go on anything less than 2-3 weeks of preparation would seriously jeopardize player health.

"Given the unions behavior all the way leading up to that point I think the owners knew that they had no choice because the players weren't going to bargain in any kind of good faith. The union had 2 years in which they could have made serious efforts to come up with a deal that worked for all but they never wanted that kind of deal and really wanted to crush the owners and force a deal on them that was essentially their shopping list, they wanted a lockout and did everything in their power to get just that. Now it will come down to the draw of judges and the question of how far either side will push it if they lose.

If it ever got to the Supremes the players are toast because this Supreme Court is the most pro big business in history and will always side with ownership. I seriously doubt it goes that far and i will be interested to see how far the owners push it if they lose. From what i can tell they have until the end of May or early June to get a deal done without disrupting the season, any further and it will be impossible to have free agency and any kind of camps to get players ready, and trying to go on anything less than 2-3 weeks of preparation would seriously jeopardize player health."

Just sayin'...

Last edited:
"Given the unions behavior all the way leading up to that point I think the owners knew that they had no choice because the players weren't going to bargain in any kind of good faith. The union had 2 years in which they could have made serious efforts to come up with a deal that worked for all but they never wanted that kind of deal and really wanted to crush the owners and force a deal on them that was essentially their shopping list, they wanted a lockout and did everything in their power to get just that. Now it will come down to the draw of judges and the question of how far either side will push it if they lose.

If it ever got to the Supremes the players are toast because this Supreme Court is the most pro big business in history and will always side with ownership. I seriously doubt it goes that far and i will be interested to see how far the owners push it if they lose. From what i can tell they have until the end of May or early June to get a deal done without disrupting the season, any further and it will be impossible to have free agency and any kind of camps to get players ready, and trying to go on anything less than 2-3 weeks of preparation would seriously jeopardize player health."

Just sayin'...

I know it, damn those players for cutting deals that would pay them more of they didn't play..............................................

You guys have convinced me, more billions fore billionaires is definitely more important than the economies of NFL communities. I will now go build my shrine to money so i can join the GREED IS GOOD club.

"Given the unions behavior all the way leading up to that point I think the owners knew that they had no choice because the players weren't going to bargain in any kind of good faith. The union had 2 years in which they could have made serious efforts to come up with a deal that worked for all but they never wanted that kind of deal and really wanted to crush the owners and force a deal on them that was essentially their shopping list, they wanted a lockout and did everything in their power to get just that. Now it will come down to the draw of judges and the question of how far either side will push it if they lose...

Your argument fails in the light of actual history, though. That's a big difference.

I know it, damn those players for cutting deals that would pay them more of they didn't play..............................................

You guys have convinced me, more billions fore billionaires is definitely more important than the economies of NFL communities. I will now go build my shrine to money so i can join the GREED IS GOOD club.

Yeah like more than a few players care about "NFL Communities."

Find me someone in this that doesn't suck.

Yeah like more than a few players care about "NFL Communities."

Find me someone in this that doesn't suck.

Actually many NFL players and athletes in general do community work and promote good causes, but the real point is that the players didn't stop football the owners did.

Just sayin'...

You may have to change your name to Truth Denyer.

Simple, The League forms an alternate LLC immediately. Let's call in NFL II. It could be stated that it is a Tripe AAA NFL Football Team. There is nothing preventing them from doing so. They can leave the "OLD" NFL standing and let each present player sue all they want. If each Team said I don't want to invest in the Old NFL anymore, I am transferring my assets to the NFL II League. The League already has all of the infrastructure in place. If the players have no representation and there are about 3,000 Draftable players, the League could hold NFL Draft II. The players are chosen under the new governing body NFL II. So BB starts with a new slate with all his Draft picks (not scabs) and if said player refuses to support they are put on the suspended list.

That's where your plan breaks down.

Absent a collective bargaining agreement, a draft of any sort is a clear antitrust violation, let alone subjecting players currently under contract to one.

If the NFL went about your plan, they would have to make every player in the league, and the entering rookies a well, a free agent, able to ply his trade to each and any of the 32 independently operating businesses in the NFL. Any attempt to restrict with which team a player can seek employment or agree to any limits to how much the teams can spend on players would be a slam dunk restraint of trade and collusion.

You may have to change your name to Truth Denyer.

lol. Just trying to provide some balance. I think either statement can be made; which one is made is dependent almost solely on the point of view of the person making the claim.

Both sides are responsible for where we are now. At least that's how it appears to me. The union had no desire to accept less than they got before and the owners had no desire to continue the same agreement they had. Neither has budged nearly enough to reach an agreement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes