PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

football and soccer will the partnership succeed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
i am finding it a little interesting how the recent acqusitions of english soccer clubs by american football team owners( manchester united and most recently aston villa by randy lerner)are now starting a sudden interest in the possible purchase of other clubs.
Can the two sports run hand in hand??...from an american point of view i ask this question...say New england pats bought hmmm lets say celtic football club or tottenham hotspur fc would you football fans really be interested in the soccer half of the family?...would you buy merchandise??
obviously the manchester united global branding could bring in millions....but aston villa?? randy lerner must see something i dont except the £30 million a year from sky sports tv...but that will or needs to be pumped back into the club to keep them in the top flight...

waddaya all think??

www.newburghjfc-ladies.co.uk

Last edited:
i hope it will not succed but it could

i loved soccer in the past till i was 20 years old but now i really hate it (i see only the World Cup when Italy is playing and the European Cup when also our team is playing, not more)

i love the NFL, the best sport in the world

Last edited:
I think soccer is a great game -- played it and watched it very passionately until I realized that I simply would not put up with the aggression, racism, violence and vulgarity of soccer fans. They embody everything I hate about the UK and destroy the whole point and purpose of sporting competition. (That's why I particularly love it when fans of other teams come here and there is good-natured but passionate rivalry.)

My take is that the American football owners have failed to grasp the economics of sport. They think that the profitability of the NFL is down to their own cleverness when in fact it has to do with their ability to maintain a monopoly that would be thrown out by any court in Europe. They depend on the salary cap and the recruitment monopoly to keep the gap between income and wages. (Actually, this has worked out pretty well for the players as the whole league has prospered, so I'm not particularly arguing against it). Once you have true competition, teams who want to win more than they want to make money (Abramovitch, Real Madrid) will drive up the price of players and, in the long run, make it very difficult for teams in the league as a whole to make profits.

Bottom line: soccer is not a profitable industry for owners (even though it generates huge amounts of money) and this is not just because teams are badly run.

Mike the Brit said:
until I realized that I simply would not put up with the aggression, racism, violence and vulgarity of soccer fans.

well said Mike
i forget to add that point too
sometimes go to a soccer game seems to go to a war...

i agree with you on many aspects..firstly aggression rivalry racism religious bigotry..yes is a problem in all walks of life and probably more so in european soccer but definately this is a minority as 99% of us good soccer fans detaste it and too find it vulgar and unacceptable!...secondly finacially...soccer just isnt profitable(manchester united the exception)until we take a leaf out of your books and put a wage cap on players the game will be crippled with debt if the tv reneue is withdrawn..shevchenko at chelsea earns £120,000 per week excluding bonus £6,480,000 per season...1 player!!the club generates under £36,000,000 per year in season ticket sales they have around 25 player on a wage between £20,000-£95,000 per week...you do the maths....it will fail but hey....thats my opinion yes youve gotta take into account merchandise,sponsorship ect but still!!!

Last edited:
The NFL and European Soccer Club owners will also find that if the finances of the European club start to go south, it is against the bylaws of the NFL for them to drain funds from the NFL club to help the European club. I do not have a citation for this but I seem to remember this problem from an owner who owned two US professional teams. That being said, I suspect that many of the dual owners bought the soccer clubs to be used as a foreign investment tax break.

The NFL and European Soccer Club owners will also find that if the finances of the European club start to go south, it is against the bylaws of the NFL for them to drain funds from the NFL club to help the European club. I do not have a citation for this but I seem to remember this problem from an owner who owned two US professional teams. That being said, I suspect that many of the dual owners bought the soccer clubs to be used as a foreign investment tax break.

In the US operating losses can be deducted from profits to lower the taxable dollar amount.

newburghjfc-ladies said:
cheers for that....
so.....
Q,if you could pick a european soccer team to join the pats family...who would you choose and why?

an italian one (Milan, Inter, Juventus, Fiorentina, or...)

I would pick a rugby team, probably the All Blacks-don't really like soccer. Paul

taltos said:
I would pick a rugby team, probably the All Blacks-don't really like soccer. Paul

That would be tough considering the All-Blacks are the national team of New Zealand (that'd be like buying Team USA in basketball). If Kraft bought a rugby team, I'd prefer to see the Waratahs in Australia or Ulster in Ireland/N.Ireland (since it represents the 3 counties in the RoI and the 6 in NI that makeup Ulster). A soccer team, Tottenham Hotspur.

Last edited:
I realize that, the post is unreal, so we can dream can't we?

Nothing recently, but Robert Kraft has been rumored to be interested in Liverpool FC on a few occasions over the past 3 or 4 years.

taltos said:
In the US operating losses can be deducted from profits to lower the taxable dollar amount.
Yes, but you still end up with less net than if you didn't lose money. Say you in a 50% tax bracket. You lose $1M. The deduction from your other profits reduces your out of pocket loss to $500K. But you still are $500K poorer. Same thing with charitable deductions. You still end up with less money than if you hadn't made the contribution.

arrellbee said:
Yes, but you still end up with less net than if you didn't lose money. Say you in a 50% tax bracket. You lose $1M. The deduction from your other profits reduces your out of pocket loss to $500K. But you still are $500K poorer. Same thing with charitable deductions. You still end up with less money than if you hadn't made the contribution.

Yes, that's right. Like charitable deductions, anything that is written off like the 500k in this example only saves you that 500k times your tax rate (in this example its 50%). So you only see a benefit of 250k from a tax savings point of view. If I remember correctly, the corporate tax rate is actually nearer to 32%. That would only be a savings of 500k times 32% which comes out to $160k

Not one bit.

I'll leave soccer to the 5 continents that actually care about it. :)

newburghjfc-ladies said:
i am finding it a little interesting how the recent acqusitions of english soccer clubs by american football team owners( manchester united and most recently aston villa by randy lerner)are now starting a sudden interest in the possible purchase of other clubs.
Can the two sports run hand in hand??...from an american point of view i ask this question...say New england pats bought hmmm lets say celtic football club or tottenham hotspur fc would you football fans really be interested in the soccer half of the family?...would you buy merchandise??
obviously the manchester united global branding could bring in millions....but aston villa?? randy lerner must see something i dont except the ?30 million a year from sky sports tv...but that will or needs to be pumped back into the club to keep them in the top flight...

waddaya all think??

I agree with Mike that they have overestimated the profitability of soccer. The Glazers (boo, hiss) borrowed ?626 Million to buy Man Utd. United's yearly profits were about ?35 Million prior to their takeover and the interest on the debt is at least ?50 Million a year. Go figure. The growth potential in soccer is limited, IMO. .

well this has been a mixed and interesting debate...all i can say i guesse is 17 million viewers in america tuned into the the last world cup final...so there must be potential...huh??
i would also like to thank all you pats fans whom logged onto our site and those who registered as members thanks this helps us out in a big big way!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back