Welcome to PatsFans.com

Food Stamp Nation

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Real World, Oct 9, 2010.

1. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +307 / 4 / -2

Save the Children!

Food Stamp Nation

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Posted: October 07, 2010
    8:50 pm Eastern

© 2010

"The lessons of history ... show conclusively that continued dependence upon relief induces a spiritual and moral disintegration fundamentally destructive to the national fiber. To dole out relief in this way is to administer a narcotic, a subtle destroyer of the human spirit."

These searing words about Depression-era welfare are from Franklin Roosevelt's 1935 State of the Union Address. FDR feared this self-reliant people might come to depend permanently upon government for the necessities of their daily lives. Like narcotics, such a dependency would destroy the fiber and spirit of the nation.

What brings his words to mind is news that 41.8 million Americans are on food stamps, and the White House estimates 43 million will soon be getting food stamps every month.

A seventh of the nation cannot even feed itself.

Food Stamp Nation

2. Real World

Ratings:
    +307 / 4 / -2

Lots of fatherless kids in this country.

The lemon factory's are serving these kids too much lemonade.

Hard to disagree.

3. TBradyOwnsYou

TBradyOwnsYou Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I think it should be much harder to get on food stamps or welfare.
  4. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Rookie

Ratings:
    +188 / 3 / -10

Allaluya & Amen brother!:rocker:

I've never really thought about ALL those things that have become permanent costs to our government and the additional weight that is being carried by those who produce. It's really frightening RW.

What it makes me think of is that one of 2 things have caused this;

1. Our economic system has been decaying for decades and has been unable to employ enough people to the level where it all seems worthwhile.

2. The very systems that were created to help people has resulted in permanent hopelessness, laziness and just plain systematic lethargy.
  5. Real World

Ratings:
    +307 / 4 / -2

Those two points make a lot of sense pal. The more you do for people, the less they do for themselves.
  6. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +187 / 7 / -23

You understand that the Food Stamp Program is a Department of Agriculture program, and was founded to help farmers as much as it was to help poor folks...

At its genesis the program was designed to assist the working poor, as well as those on assistance... always find it interesting that there are few articles on our mushrooming Department of Defense Budget(which now takes $.51 of every tax dollar) but a lot of articles on a program that is designed to feed children....

Come on now an article in Worldnet Daily by Pat Buchanan... no agenda here...
  7. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

I know two single males, neither of whom are contributing in raising any kids, who get 'food stamp' money every month. Both are in their 20's and are perfectly capable of working. That's not right IMO. Charity is for those with a genuine need, the food stamp program needs to be adjusted.

Now tell me how to do it without spending more money enforcing proper rules than we currently spend on the deadbeats yet leaves things so poor children and little old ladies don't end up eating cat food to get by.
  8. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +352 / 8 / -3

#12 Jersey

That's the thing, isn't it? I don't think anyone's quite figured that out yet, have they?
  9. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +187 / 7 / -23

They should not be eligible and those two guys represent a loophole that needs changing..

I always chuckle at ads that tote human quality dog or cat food... heaven forbid.
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2010
  10. scout

scout Rookie

Ratings:
    +36 / 0 / -2

#15 Jersey

In the past, I've been in charge of school lunch program's free lunch. There have been a number of times where people took advantage of the program. That doesn't mean you shut the program down, or that the program is a fraud. In the case of food stamps, I am sure there are people that are taking advantage of the program. OTH, we are in the worst economic times since the great depression (anyone want to argue that point), thus, its logical that more people are on food stamps. What is really annoying, is when politicians go after programs aiding the poor and ignore corporate welfare or the DOD, which Darryls mentioned.
  11. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

My wife says that all the time about me! She's just kidding, though...prolly.:cool:

HONEY! GRAB ME ANOTHER BEER, WILL YA?
  12. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +352 / 8 / -3

#12 Jersey

Since we all agree (some of us more than others) that unemployment is at an all-time high (since the Depression, of course) and some of us even believe that the rate of unemployment is highly under-reported due to people who have "given up" or exhausted their unemployment benefits, does it not stand to reason that even if these two men are "perfectly capable of working" that they may not be able to find jobs?

Ya'all agree that jobs are unavailable, don't you? I mean, there are threads after threads bemoaning that fact so I am assuming that it's a fact not a fantasy that work is simply not to be found in many cases.

No matter how "capable" someone is of working, if the work is not there they cannot do it. Thus, they would be in true need of food stamps in order to eat and stay alive, wouldn't they?

Just to satifsy my own interest, I found a "benefit calculator" for food stamp assistance. A single person with 0 dependents and a $400.00 a month rent payment and Zero income would qualify for a grand total of $200.00 a month in food stamps. That's $50.00 a week.

Anyone tried to eat 3 meals a day on $7.12 lately?

Food Stamp Benefit Calculator
  13. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Rookie

Ratings:
    +188 / 3 / -10

If they're in their 20's, they should move back in with mom & dad! Maybe they can even be covered under they HC policy! :D

You may not like my suggestion, but I know what I'd do. I'd report them and anyone else I found out was abusing the system.

Ratting poeple like them out is a very responsible thing to do. That money should be going to more deserving people.
  14. TBradyOwnsYou

TBradyOwnsYou Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

If you're that broke, do you really need 3 meals a day?
    And there is ALWAYS work to be found, it's just a matter on if you want to do it or not.
  15. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +352 / 8 / -3

#12 Jersey

Excellent suggestion - we should probably do the same thing to people who work under the table and those who hide their assets from the government.
  16. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +352 / 8 / -3

#12 Jersey

17. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Rookie

Ratings:
    +188 / 3 / -10

I actually agree whole-heartedly witha the above MrsP. Let's start with the neighborhood moms who "watch" kids by day for pay but don't own an official business and pay no taxes on the money they're making.

In all seriousness, there is nothing at all wrong with reporting people who are working under the table. ESPECIALLY if they're making some serious dough doing it!

Most Americans wouldn't care if someone was doing it just to get by and supporting their family. But if you know someone really doing well from moonlighting and not paying their taxes, then report their sorry butts.

Unless the fed gov't raises taxes on the middle-class....then we should ALL work under the table! ;)
  18. Real World

Ratings:
    +307 / 4 / -2

One answer is, you starve the pig. Cut the funding to the program, and any grossly mismanaged program like it, until the adminsters of the funds realize their resources are limited to the point that they better make sure they only give them to the people who need them most. Right now I need another Stoli.
  19. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +187 / 7 / -23

Imagine if we applied this standard to the Department of Defense and all of its contractors whose mantra is "If we ain't stealing and defrauding, we ain't having a good day"???

Imagine????
  20. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Rookie

Ratings:
    +188 / 3 / -10

It should be applied to military spending more than any other program. But that doesn't make oversight of the other programs any less necessary.