Welcome to PatsFans.com

Food, Inc.. may want to rent this Video... Scary

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by DarrylS, Nov 3, 2009.

1. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +808 / 26 / -33

Just watched Food Inc.,, very interesting movie on our food industry, covers many parts of how food in produced in America, from the feed lots in Colorado, the impact of Corn in all of what we eat, how pork and chicken are raised, why e-coli spreads so easily,how the clowns inside the beltway are in bed with the food producers, its impact on illegal immigration, etc... suggest you spend the 90+ minutes of your life checking this expose out..

One very poignant part had to do with a working family, who work long hours, find it less expensive to eat from the dollar menu at McDonalds than to buy food in the store... then the expected health issues..

This will break down into a partisan argument, but it is much more than that.. an issue that effects us all and our families..

Very interesting part about how Monsanto controls the seed industry, and that farmers cannot even use their own seeds...

Official Food, Inc. Movie Site - Hungry For Change? - About the Film

Last edited: Nov 3, 2009
  2. alvinnf

alvinnf In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +15 / 2 / -0

Great post..... I will definitely check it out. Above and beyond the food aspect is the family time. Sitting down to have a meal together. Taking the time to prepare a meal from real food. If the average American had the time and inclination they could easily feed a family of four for less than the dollar menu. Somewhere in all that time becomes the issue, where as, families are burdened with less time together making ends meat. Then add to that culture lost and the family unit, if your divorced there is often no family to prepare a meal for and quick and easy becomes meal du jour. Food is life and as we have gotten off track with other issues on life, food is no different, it's a big factor.

3. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

another anti-corporation film that is enormously important to the masses, but gets completely and conveniently snubbed by the commercial theaters. Because, of course, these kinds of messages exposing the corporate poisoning of our own citizens can't be allowed to resonate.

I had to go to Manhattan to see a screening of this film back in June. Luckily, I tied it into visiting my sister. It was excellent, just as I expected. Only slightly better than 'Super Size Me.'

4. tanked_as_usual

tanked_as_usual Banned

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

as long as people are satisfied with eating garbage, someone will sell it to them.

5. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +808 / 26 / -33

the movie points out how this stuff is marketed and controlled by 4 or 5 large corporations, and pimpled by the folks from K street... it is not only about fast food, but about the food in the supermarkets as well.. how it is produced, how we as a nation are compromised in our quest to feed our families...

6. mcgraw_wv

mcgraw_wv In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

7. STFarmy

STFarmy In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

All I have to say about food is: buy local whenever possible. It may be more expensive, but it's worth it, as you're supporting local merchants and local farms. I know it's not possible all the time, I am not able to do it 100%. But do it as much as possible. The food's better too! I believe, for those of us in the New England area, that Hannaford's buys from local farms whenever possible. When you go out to eat, go to a local joint instead of 99 or Applebys. There's some GREAT place out there that people routinely drive by.

Anyway, buy local.

8. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +808 / 26 / -33

I agree, my son is an executive chef and very much involved in the "Farm Fresh" movement, as a family we buy little processed food and try to buy local whenever we can.. we hit the local farmer's markets often.

9. mcgraw_wv

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

That's good, but I think the point of the movie is that even your non processed chicken is full of stuff it's not supposed to be, or that ground meat is made from 1000 different cows, and if just one has a problem your screwed...

It really is all about local, not necessarily about processed vs non-processed we thought it was about.

10. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +808 / 26 / -33

Am aware of that, the current food chain is scary, found the part about Clarence Thomas interesting, he was a former lawyer for Monsanto and then ruled on a SCOTUS decision that protected their interest... have to check this out, surprised Judicial Watch was not on top of that one...

11. mcgraw_wv

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

There is a lot more people from Monsanto involved in this government... It's shocking.

I think the bush Admin was stocked with Monsanto people, can't remember which ones, but it's sickening to me I live in a country that is run the way it is...

12. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +808 / 26 / -33

Here is a link there is a whole bunch of people involved, Ashcroft, Clarence Thomas... too bad the so called "main street media" was asleep at the wheel for these events..

Monsanto's High Level Connections to the Bush Administration - SourceWatch

And another one...

Old Hippie's Monsanto site

Not that there was anything wrong with any of this:rolleyes: