PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Food for thought

Status
Not open for further replies.
Worse yet, team scoring stats are recorded by TEAM, not by offense. So, for instance, you can go to NFL.com and choose stats/offense/scoring and come away the the impression that the Jets offense ranks a respectable 13th in the league in points per game...because defensive and special teams scores are included. And on the flipside, their "defensive points allowed" includes all the scores rung up on them by the Ravens D.

That's true. Defensive points allowed is more accurate. We've even given up two int's for td's this year. I honestly think many people don't realize that part of the bend/don't break philosophy is that you will give up more yards than an equally talented agressive defense. The big plays are what's hurting our defense. Our db's have been awful making plays on passes they could have intercepted or knocked down.

I'd like a little more agressive defense. But, we really don't have the personnel to do it. Good pass-rushers and a veteran secondary. If we have the 1st or 2nd best offense and a top 10 defense. That's enough to win it all. Especially, if our offense continues to be able to run the ball.

I figure this: We score 35 points a game, we win most of our games. Who says games are won by defenses?

In the playoffs you can't count on scoring 35 ppg. It's very rare you win super bowls by winning shootouts. NO may have been the exception but their defense DID hold Peyton and the Colts to 17 points in the end. Even the '99 Rams and their amazing offense relied on defense in the NFCC/SB to a significant extent.

We're actually 15th in points allowed per game. Dallas has given up 101 in 4 and St. L 113 in 4. So, we're ranked ahead of them too.

It's a pet peeve of mine. I just don't understand why defenses are ranked by yards. That would be like evaluating pitchers by their WHIP instead of ERA. The goal is to not allow points/runs. WHIP and yards are useful tools. But, not as important IMO.

The thing that sucks about rating a defense on yards allowed is that the Pats have given up at least 300-400 yards in garbage time this season. That equates to upwards to 1/5 of the yards allowed.

Remember the Cowboys just had a bye week. Shouldn't that improve their D ranking?

In the playoffs you can't count on scoring 35 ppg. It's very rare you win super bowls by winning shootouts. NO may have been the exception but their defense DID hold Peyton and the Colts to 17 points in the end. Even the '99 Rams and their amazing offense relied on defense in the NFCC/SB to a significant extent.

Bingo! In the playoffs in which 3 or 4 wins in a row are needed for the title, it's a safe bet you'll run into at least *one* team that is good enough to stiffle the offense. That will be the game(s) that the defense needs to save the team.

Regards,
Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes