PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Food for thought...Pats could end up with a fourth 2nd round pick

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Food for thought.. Pats could end up with a 4th 2nd round pick

0% chance this happens. Teams might be dumb, but they aren't THAT dumb.

Woods hasn't even proven he is all that effective in ANY defense.

They aren't? One only has to look to the Redskins for proof to the contrary.

Also lost in the hoopla is the fact that this trade might not be over with. The second rounder we received could easily go to the Panthers for Julius Peppers' rights or could be used to lock up another big name free agent to help our defense. Essentially, if this happens, we would have traded our back-up quarterback for a stud on the defensive side of the ball.

I guess I value Woods higher than most of you here. I think he's had his years of learning, a la Bruschi, and is ready to move in and be a five-year starter. Wasn't he considered much more talented than his draft position indicated, but he had injury problems or something at the time? I have a mental note from somewhere that Woods was a 1st-to-2nd-round talent that we were lucky to get much lower.

I could see a 3-4 team at the END of the 2nd round (e.g. Pittsburgh, only I don't know if they really need an OLB) saying "Heck, this is practically a 3rd round pick for a guy who's learned the 3-4 from Belichick, Vrabel, etc."

I guess I value Woods higher than most of you here. I think he's had his years of learning, a la Bruschi, and is ready to move in and be a five-year starter. Wasn't he considered much more talented than his draft position indicated, but he had injury problems or something at the time? I have a mental note from somewhere that Woods was a 1st-to-2nd-round talent that we were lucky to get much lower.

I could see a 3-4 team at the END of the 2nd round (e.g. Pittsburgh, only I don't know if they really need an OLB) saying "Heck, this is practically a 3rd round pick for a guy who's learned the 3-4 from Belichick, Vrabel, etc."

I think he's a TBC caliber starter. about average but nothing that blows us away that we need. people praise him as a pass rusher but i just haven't seen it. If we want to have a dominating defense we need a AD caliber starter on the opposite side of AD. we need someone who is going to get 6-7 sacks minimum per year.

Why would someone be shocked for a 2nd round pick? Woods is an NFL ready LB. He played pretty good last year and imo will only get better. I'm a little puzzled by some that underestimate his value. Apparently BB thinks he is worth a 2nd rounder. I'd prefer we keep him myself.

One reason would be the chance that Conner Barwin and Clint Sintim could be had in the second around along with some other 3-4 projected linebackers.

Apparently BB thinks he is worth a 2nd rounder.

We don't know that.

The choices were the low tender which would give the Pats nothing if he left since he was undrafted, the 2nd round tender, a first round tender, or a first and 3rd round tender.

We just know BB views him higher a letting him walk for nothing.

I guess the Pats could trade Woods for a 3rd or a 4th (ala Welker), I highly doubt anyone would sign him, but you never know. I watched the pats-Jets game again yesterday on the NFL Network, and two things were apparent: 1) We did not get enough for Matt Cassel, if not for stupid turnonvers (none of which were his fault) the Pats would have won that game easily. 2.) Woods is not strong enough to play OLB in the NFL. He was running up behind every play and was constantly getting blocked so much that he did not move from the line of scrimmage. let alone getting any pressure on Lord Favre.

That's right. Lost in all the hoopla surrounding "THE TRADE" is the fact that Pierre Woods was given a 2nd round tender by the Patriots. There is also a plethora of teams moving to the 3-4. By my count, Denver, Green Bay, and KC are all new teams running the 3-4. And this is in addition to the Pats, Cleveland, the Jets, Dallas, San Diego, Pittsburgh, Miami, and Arizona. Cleveland, Denver, KC, and Green Bay are all looking to add 3-4 type players. With "the trade" KC is probably not going to sign Woods. But any of the other 3 could and then we could see a similar scenario play out like what happened with Welker, but in reverse.

Not a chance, all everyone remembers about this guy is that he had a historic fumble ripped out of his arms by a running back that had more heart is in index finger than Pierre would ever think of having. No one would be foolish enough to part with a 2 for that guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes