Welcome to PatsFans.com

Followup on NH Trooper shooting..

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by DarrylS, May 15, 2007.

1. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +364 / 11 / -27

Some developments on the NH Trooper Shooting, the first has to do with the now deceased Cpl and the killer as having a history, and the Cpl asking the Court giving him a break from an incident in '03. The second has to do with a story of the Marine who shot the perp..

http://www.unionleader.com/article....rticleId=f396463a-aa08-4c36-88f1-2715ca662be6

FRANCONIA – The first time Liko Kenney and Cpl. Bruce McKay met on a January night four years ago was not unlike their final, and fatal, encounter Friday night.

A prosecutor's account shows a 2003 encounter between McKay and Kenney turned violent when Kenney, yelling and resisting arrest, grabbed the officer's groin and squeezed.

"Another officer witnessed McKay yell in pain and jump as a result," a statement issued yesterday by Grafton County Attorney Rick St. Hilaire said.

Kenney, a cousin of international skiing champion Bode Miller, later pleaded guilty to assaulting a police officer and resisting arrest.

"The offenses could have resulted in a sentence of prison time," St. Hilaire said in his statement. "However, Officer Bruce McKay expressed his desire that compassion be shown to the defendant. He supported a short 15-day term of incarceration in the county jail, which was accepted by the court."

http://www.unionleader.com/article....rticleId=b6d46b3f-9429-4507-89fb-4e513337b875

The passer-by who confronted and killed the gunman in last Friday's police shooting was an expert marksman who used to alarm his neighbors by firing guns on his own property, court records show.

"I am an ex-Marine and an expert shot. I don't miss what I shoot at," Gregory Floyd, 49, told police officers who searched his home in 1997.

Authorities have decided not to charge Floyd in Friday's shooting, ruling he was justified when he fired at Liko Kenney, 24, just moments after watching Kenney shoot and kill Franconia Police Cpl. Bruce McKay.

Kenney's uncle, Bill, said he is not angry at Floyd.

"I thank him," Bill Kenney said yesterday. "He did an amazing thing."

A "loner" by reputation, Floyd has declined to speak with reporters since the shootings. A woman who answered the phone at his house Sunday said, "This is a private, unlisted, unpublished number. Please don't call again."
  2. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +524 / 6 / -2

The media in this country blows hardcore. They have absolutely zero ethics or decency. Leave the poor guy alone.
  3. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

ah yes, more broad-brushed swipes at American media as a whole based on one small-town trajedy... you're awesome...

anyhow, this story over the weekend was incredible... watch it become a movie in 5-10 years...

my only question about the whole thing is this: why did Kenney stick around at the scene after shooting the cop? why would he be back out of his car and reloading to confront a passerby? wouldn't he just drive off and hide?
  4. Pujo

Pujo Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

C'monn, do you know of even one major media source in this country that would have the decency to leave a private person alone? I'm not aware of too many cases where media companies made that choice. What should happen is the police should release their interview with him, and the media should use that as their source, instead of surrounding the guy's house like they usually do.

His car was bumped off the road by the officer before he was killed, maybe it wasn't in driving shape. The passer-by saw the actual shooting, so it doesn't seem like too much time passed.
  5. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

it is their job... to get the story, corroborated by multiple sources, for the public to get be informed... does the IRS show "decency" when they repossess a poor family's assets?

he drove over the cop... from the story i read, it sounded like his car was driveable...
  6. Real World

Ratings:
    +524 / 6 / -2

Hmmm....the guy shot a cop 4 times, and then got into his car to run the corpse over a few times, and you're wondering why he wasn't thinking rationally, and didn't have a better plan.

You're right, the media is ethical, and always respectful of peoples privacy. My bad. :rolleyes:
  7. Real World

Ratings:
    +524 / 6 / -2

The media and the IRS? :rofl:
  8. Pujo

Pujo Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Nobody defends the IRS as having decency, while you're defending the media for having it. It's their job to keep the public informed, but there are ways to do that without being paparazzis. For one thing, I'd like to see the media start researching stories instead of just repeating everything everyone says. But I digress... why is it wrong for Real World to paint the media with a broad brush when you yourself admit to the facts he's painting them with (though you justify it with "it's their job")?
    Last edited: May 15, 2007
  9. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

What?!! And lose all that "quality time" at the local watering hole??

//
  10. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

i believe contacting a main participant in the action is indeed doing a bit of research, and not parroting what others say... as for your final post-digress sentence, i don't see the connection... as an investigative reporter, it is your job to follow every lead... i don't see how RW's statement about the entire media corps showing "no decency" applies...

all they did was call the guy's house... did it mention anywhere that they kept calling after the woman said 'please don't call again?'
  11. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +665 / 2 / -9

Because he was an Arrogant Criminal Piece Of Smelly Sh!t who never dreamed that a "Citizen With More Balls Than He Had" would blow his f-cking brains out.

A$s Holes like him really believe that the whole world is afraid of them, well this maggot met his match that day.
  12. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

yes, as usual, it is your bad... because i never said the media is always respectful, now did i?
  13. Pujo

Pujo Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

I bet they did. And I bet they have people camping out on his sidewalk 24 hours a day right now. And I bet they follow him everywhere he goes. I don't know any of this, and maybe the small-town media in NH is a bit better than what I'm used to in a major city, but that's generally the media's modus operandi. Then if they interview some guy who tells them something outrageous, they'll reprint it without bothering to check.
  14. mr3putt

mr3putt Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

The media is a collection of worthless talking heads directed to spew opinions to further the agenda of their employers and draw viewers/readers.

They pour gasoline on any fire with their endless speculations and attempting to lay blame before analyzing the facts.

Can this board at least agree that true journalism is dead forever...buried under a mountain of slime in pursuit of dollars..
  15. Pujo

Pujo Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

I think the mistake is thinking true journalism ever existed. Yellow journalism has been around as long as the printing press.
  16. Real World

Ratings:
    +524 / 6 / -2

See, I understand the purpose of the media, and actually am disappointed in them because of how they haven't lived up to it. My issue with them is that they have lost (generally speaking) their sense of ethics. It's has become a "get the story at all costs" ideology, that is seriously misguided in it's purpose. They hassle the average joe over stories like these, or chase down Princess Diana at 100 mph on a street, while ignoring their duty to protect the people from corrupt, inept, and dishonest goverment. They are not ambiguous, are biased, and rush to report before certifying the facts of a story. IMO anyway, and generally speaking of course. :D
  17. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

and you'd be betting and losing on at least that last part... because they do check... regardless, that's on the source who's quote is used, not the paper, thus the phrase "according to..." ... and if it is presented as fact and still winds up being erroneous, they issue a correction in the next day's paper...
    Last edited: May 15, 2007
  18. Real World

Ratings:
    +524 / 6 / -2

Eveyone needs to watch the movie Mad City. There is a scene in it where the media interviews some hill billy dude who claims to be "best friends" with Travolta's charactor. The dude goes on TV saying how crazy a guy Travolta is, and yada yada yada....anyhow, Travolta is watching this interview on TV and says "who the hell is that guy?". It made me pause and wonder how many times that has happened in real life.
  19. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

yes, i believe you've pointed to that scene a time or two before... we remember...
  20. Real World

Ratings:
    +524 / 6 / -2

[​IMG]

That is my basic point. This goes for right, left, middle, green, blue, alien, mentally challenged, Press Coverage, blind, deaf, mute, etc.... :D

(hehehe...)