Welcome to PatsFans.com

Follow the money....

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by alvinnf, Dec 1, 2009.

1. alvinnf

alvinnf In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +2 / 1 / -0

We probably all believe that money drives almost all endeavors, in some shape or form. What are the monetary incentives for creating an elaborate hoax ( if it is)such as global warming? On the same token, what is the monetary incentive to debunking it as a myth? Some people believe it's real and others believe it's a myth, other than political capital, where does the money go and come from?and why?

2. maverick4

maverick4 Banned

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0

Energy companies hate it.

3. Patriot_in_NY

Patriot_in_NY Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0

But Academia NEEDS it. There is A LOT of money to be made in "science". :rolleyes:

Here's an interesting OP-ED from the WSJ on the topic

Last edited: Dec 2, 2009
  4. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +423 / 12 / -26

Follow the money, the money usually leads to established systems..

Without regard, there is a ton of junk science on both sides... I usually look to the best and brightest, not the media darlings... in this case Stephen Hawking..

5. Patriot_in_NY

Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0

There is junk science everywhere, that's why there are fairly rigid standards in place to not only cooperate and correlate it, but to be able to trace and track all data used to postulate a specific scientific fact. Suddenly finding out that that is impossible because stuff was "thrown out" throws a wrench in that.

Fine, you look to the "best and brightest" :rolleyes:

The rest of us will wait on science that is able to stand to the rigorous process of documentation that is accepted within the scientific community. Perhaps this someday will, but there are doubts about it right now.

6. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +423 / 12 / -26

Would prefer the comments of Hawking to Lord Moncton, that is for sure..

Was reading "Freakonomics" this morning and came across a comment that I found interesting, quite simply science and politics do not mix well.. one can be proven, the other is plain bullshyt..

Makes me think of many things in our past; the world is flat etc.

7. Patriot_in_NY

Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0

Why, they are both lying to us..... ;)

Not much I can disagree with on this one. It's pretty much why I sit on the fence with the whole GW thing. Half of me say's all this crap we're putting into the air can't be good for the planet and the other half say's "BS, human existence is barely a speck on this dog's ass of a planet and it's only our arrogance that makes us think we could make a difference." What we're seeing is probably just the natural ebb/flow of the planets life-cycle and we really don't matter one fukcing bit since we're just along for a brief ride. If the good mother see's fit, she'll natually flush the toilet and rid herself of the "human problem" and then the next life form can "evolve" to dominance.

I don't think anyone is prepared to definitively say one way or the other is true. Anybody that says they can is lying to you. ;)

8. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +423 / 12 / -26

Do not disagree, that is usually why I bow out of most of these discussions.. reminds me of Rocket Man by Elton John.. "All the science I do not understand, it is just my job 5 days a week"..

But I am a visual learner, and when I was in Alaska they had benchmarks by a glacier in Seward.. one thing that is obvious is that the glaciers are melting a whole lot faster than they did before.....

9. Patriot_in_NY

Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0

I know..... I've seen the same on the Ice Shields in British Columbia..... Makes me wonder why. Then again, as someone once reminded me, it wasn't but a geological blink of an eye that my house in western, NY was covered by a mile thick glacier. GW on the grand scale I suppose. I imagine it will again someday too. It's all relative my friend. ;)

.... I certainly don't have the answer.

10. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +716 / 2 / -9

Mother Nature, no matter how many degrees the egg head has, no matter how many theory's the scientist comes up with, no matter how loud Al Gore Bellows they will never ever Predict or Change Mother Nature's Plans.

The Pond Will Freeze Over This Winter
    The Pond Will Melt This Spring

Al Gore will never change that.

WHERE TREE TOPS GLISTEN
    AND CHILDREN LISTEN
    TO HEAR SLEIGH BELLS IN THE SNOW

MERRY CHRISTMAS
    BRING THE CAT IN OR HE'LL FREEZE TO DEATH