PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Focusing On Our Five Needs

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgteich

PatsFans.com Veteran
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
1) We may get lucky with someone at another position dropping in our laps in free agency or the draft.

2) We might get lucky with one of our seven 6th and 7th rounders.

3) HOWEVER, as of now, we have multiple needs at five positions and no need at the other positions, although upgrades are always great; for example at ILB or OG.

4) We may disagree on priority, but I am not sure that priority matters much. We need to fill all the needs, and value will determine when we fill them.
========================================

THE FIVE MULTIPLE NEEDS
-------------------------
1. DEFENSIVE END
replacing Burgess and Green

2. OUTSIDE LINEBACKER

3. WIDE RECEIVER
we need a #2 and a #4

4. TIGHT END
we need a #1 and a #2

5. RUNNING BACK
Faulk may be one of the two. We need another to replace one of Taylor, Morris or Green-Ellis.

There's depth in this year's class at RB and WR. In fact a guy like Dexter McCluster could fill both roles.

I think we can also address the need at DE in the draft with Odrick.

The other positions of immediate need will probably need to be adressed thru FAs.

Last edited:
I'm still a month away from really having good names for picks but my thinking today is :

1) Odrick - lack of depth at 3-4 DE in this draft.
2a) Damien Williams - or alternate WR, we won't get another Moss in this draft but the second round should be decent value.
2b) Brandon Spikes - not sure if he's dropping here and I know some don't think he's athletic enough but I like him in the middle with Mayo.
2c) One of the OLB, there's a ton, take your choice. Misi from Utah (a Box favorite) would probably be a solid choice here.

That would get good prospects at ILB, OLB and DE plus it would give us a WR who has a viable shot to be a (bigger) Deion Branch type #2 WR.

1) We may get lucky with someone at another position dropping in our laps in free agency or the draft.

2) We might get lucky with one of our seven 6th and 7th rounders.

3) HOWEVER, as of now, we have multiple needs at five positions and no need at the other positions, although upgrades are always great; for example at ILB or OG.

4) We may disagree on priority, but I am not sure that priority matters much. We need to fill all the needs, and value will determine when we fill them.
========================================

THE FIVE MULTIPLE NEEDS
-------------------------
1. DEFENSIVE END
replacing Burgess and Green

2. OUTSIDE LINEBACKER

3. WIDE RECEIVER
we need a #2 and a #4

4. TIGHT END
we need a #1 and a #2

5. RUNNING BACK
Faulk may be one of the two. We need another to replace one of Taylor, Morris or Green-Ellis.

It seems odd to me that BB is letting Green walk, without a viable replacement on the roster. But then again he trraded Vrabel last season without a viable alternative on the roster.

Unlike other years, I think almost all of us agree with regard to the needs of the teams, and also on the wants.

I have ILB as a Top 5 need. Why? We lost Bruschi, and Guyton's contract is up at the end of the year. Unless you think we are drafting around a 4-3 base then we may be fine.

Last edited:
No question, there's some pretty clear focus now. But...

last I checked there were no punters on the roster.

I think finding Seymour 2.0 is priority one, and it seems to me like Odrick could be the guy at 22. If they don't think he's the guy we may not get Seymour 2.0 until next years Raiders pick which should hopefully be in the top 10.

It makes sense to me to replace Burgess with a second round conversion project like Hughes. Start him out in same role Burgess had as a hand down 3rd down rusher and see if he can develop as a 1st/2nd down player. Either way he's going to be cheaper than Burgess and likely better.

Sometime they're going to have to find a 3-down OLB, preferably a star that you can build a defense around. I think that could be the biggest missing ingredient, but one that is extremely difficult to find.

Curious to see what McKenzie brings to the party before evaluating ILB need.

As for WR/TE/RB I consider them all about equal priorities, you just have to take who you like where you can.

I have ILB as a Top 5 need. Why? We lost Bruschi, and Guyton's contract is up at the end of the year. Unless you think we are drafting around a 4-3 base then we may be fine.

I don't see ILB as a high need that should be drafted early. Guyton will be a RFA after the 2010 season, so he is anything but gone. They will also get Tyrone McKenzie back from injury. I would rather take a late round flyer on a guy like Micah Johnson who is a good run defender and powerfull pass rusher and might fit as a strong inside linebacker in the 3-4.

I don't see ILB as a high need that should be drafted early. Guyton will be a RFA after the 2010 season, so he is anything but gone. They will also get Tyrone McKenzie back from injury. I would rather take a late round flyer on a guy like Micah Johnson who is a good run defender and powerfull pass rusher and might fit as a strong inside linebacker in the 3-4.

I dont think we can expect to fill the need at ILB thru the draft. I'd like to see if we can acquire Kirk Morrison.

Guyton is here for 2010 and will be a restricted free agent for 2011. At worst, we'll pay him $2.6M for the 2011 season as a tender requiring a 1st rounder as compensation.

So, does knowing that we Mayo, Guyton and McKenzie through 2011 help you move ILB back to #6?

Guyton is here for 2010 and will be a restricted free agent for 2011. At worst, we'll pay him $2.6M for the 2011 season as a tender requiring a 1st rounder as compensation.

So, does knowing that we Mayo, Guyton and McKenzie through 2011 help you move ILB back to #6?

Yea, I forgot about the RFA thing.

Also Alexander is a UFA next year so a late round replacement may not be a bad idea.

Last edited:
Pats need to trade back in this draft and acquire more picks. Unless an absolute stud falls into our lap at #22, I'd be perfectly content with dropping back 5 spots and picking up an extra 3rd and 5th.

I just hope we don't draft a TE before the 4th round. You can get a fine blocking tight end at that stage and we don't use them much in the passing game anyway.

I think finding Seymour 2.0 is priority one, and it seems to me like Odrick could be the guy at 22. If they don't think he's the guy we may not get Seymour 2.0 until next years Raiders pick which should hopefully be in the top 10.

It makes sense to me to replace Burgess with a second round conversion project like Hughes. Start him out in same role Burgess had as a hand down 3rd down rusher and see if he can develop as a 1st/2nd down player. Either way he's going to be cheaper than Burgess and likely better.

Sometime they're going to have to find a 3-down OLB, preferably a star that you can build a defense around. I think that could be the biggest missing ingredient, but one that is extremely difficult to find.

Curious to see what McKenzie brings to the party before evaluating ILB need.

As for WR/TE/RB I consider them all about equal priorities, you just have to take who you like where you can.

Do you think Carrington can be Seymour 2.0? If he were to add 20lbs they'd be virtually identical body-wise.

Last edited:
I dont think we can expect to fill the need at ILB thru the draft. I'd like to see if we can acquire Kirk Morrison.

I really don't think Morrison does anything for this team. All he can do is make a lot of tackles for a bad defensive line. As many tackles as he's made, he's missed a ton as well. Can't cover in the passing game. This signing would be a waste of roster spot. Don't let the tackle numbers fool you.

Pats need to trade back in this draft and acquire more picks. Unless an absolute stud falls into our lap at #22, I'd be perfectly content with dropping back 5 spots and picking up an extra 3rd and 5th.

yes, because the pats don't have enough 2nd rounders.......they should draft someone who can play

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back