PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Flynn at QB?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe but not many.
statistically the worst of the experienced qbs.
For the 3rd QB on an NFL depth chart? I challenge you to find one better than Matt Flynn.

It has been the commonly stated assumption on this Board that Brady's legal team will attempt to get the suspension delayed or revoked by the courts. Perhaps not.

He may be going for the largest financial damages he can muster, and being suspended increases the financial hit to him, his wife, and everyone associated with "Tom Brady Inc" including some very large corporations. The coaching staff may have already been told that he won't be available for the first four games and perhaps even longer than that, depending on how the Commissioner reacts to his behavior at the upcoming hearing.

What we know is that TB12 has a hearing on 6/23.

What we know is that if TB12's appeal is denied, he is suspended for 4 games.

If his suspension is reduced, we do not know if TB12 will accept it or seek an injunction and take the league to court.

Why would his absence from the team be longer than 4 games? What scenario do you envision unfolding for that to occur?

no surprise. the team obviously things brady will be gone for 4 games.
our jellyfish owner admitted this.

Interesting, then, that Gilbert got a lot of action today and JG was just watching. Guess they wanted to see if Gilbert could handle a full load, but it ultimately just led to his own release. They have a new man for the job now.

Looking back on that paragraph, it sounds really disgusting.
Grapes was Eating Gilbert up during practice. Johnny Depp was there and can vouch for it.

If Brady is suspended....of course.

If ?

Brady IS suspended. And the way this whole thing has gone down gives me ZERO hope that it'll change. At every turn, people on here have said "wait till this and wait til that"... Nothing. Every possible bad scenario has come to fruition.

Grapes was Eating Gilbert up during practice. Johnny Depp was there and can vouch for it.
Oh my god!!!! I wanted to make a Gilbert Grape joke so bad but I couldn't muster anything good, but the perfect joke was so obvious.... I concede my "Winner" medal to you sir.

That is an understatement. He is one of the true elite back up QBs.

I agree he holds a clipboard elitely... :) ( I can't believe you got a disagree for that. :) )

Definitely a good depth signing and it shouldn't cost that much either.
Especially since as a vested veteran his contract will be guaranteed if he is on the roster week 1..

It has been the commonly stated assumption on this Board that Brady's legal team will attempt to get the suspension delayed or revoked by the courts. Perhaps not.

He may be going for the largest financial damages he can muster, and being suspended increases the financial hit to him, his wife, and everyone associated with "Tom Brady Inc" including some very large corporations. The coaching staff may have already been told that he won't be available for the first four games and perhaps even longer than that, depending on how the Commissioner reacts to his behavior at the upcoming hearing.

Two issues here:

(1) Normally, to actually prevail in a defamation suit, one must demonstrate that the defamation has caused harm. In this case, the defamation may constitute defamation per se—defamation harmful enough that the defamation itself is automatically assumed to cause harm, so damage need not be shown.

(2) There is no chance of Goodell increasing the punishment as a result of the appeal (as I've noted, this is about the only accurate and useful point Lester Munson has made about this whole s—tstorm). If Brady isn't playing after Week 5, it's not going to be because Goodell extended his suspension.

Oh my god!!!! I wanted to make a Gilbert Grape joke so bad but I couldn't muster anything good, but the perfect joke was so obvious.... I concede my "Winner" medal to you sir.
LOL.

I capitalized "Eating" and added Depp in the hope someone got my wacky sense of humor.

I feel fulfilled.:p

the pats now have the 3 best QB's in the AFC east

gilbert grape can't help this team

2) There is no chance of Goodell increasing the punishment as a result of the appeal (as I've noted, this is about the only accurate and useful point Lester Munson has made about this whole s—tstorm). If Brady isn't playing after Week 5, it's not going to be because Goodell extended his suspension.

Yeah, I know, he can't be suspended more for the past actions. But he can suspend Brady further for what is said in the hearing, or what he or his attorneys say before or after the hearing.

I can imagine Brady's attorneys saying something like, "We have no additional information to provide you, as we have provided all of the relevant information through prior statements. And, it is clear that there is no rules infraction in this case. Thus, we have nothing more to say on this matter. We simply demand that the suspension be lifted, an apology be issued from your office, and the Patriots not be penalized in any way so that our client is competing on a level playing field going forward. Anything less is a direct attack on the integrity of the game, and we will hold you responsible for this. We will share all of this with the press immediately following this hearing."

I can see Goodell losing it and further suspending Brady for that behavior.

Two issues here:

(1) Normally, to actually prevail in a defamation suit, one must demonstrate that the defamation has caused harm. In this case, the defamation may constitute defamation per se—defamation harmful enough that the defamation itself is automatically assumed to cause harm, so damage need not be show.

As a public figure, the standard for Brady to prevail is higher, the NY Times standard where he must prove the statements/writings were wholly or patently false
or that it was published "with reckless disregard of whether it was false or not".

That is an understatement. He is one of the true elite back up QBs.
Eh. He's not very good. Maybe a little better than Sanchez level.

Yeah, I know, he can't be suspended more for the past actions. But he can suspend Brady further for what is said in the hearing, or what he or his attorneys say before or after the hearing.

I can imagine Brady's attorneys saying something like, "We have no additional information to provide you, as we have provided all of the relevant information through prior statements. And, it is clear that there is no rules infraction in this case. Thus, we have nothing more to say on this matter. We simply demand that the suspension be lifted, an apology be issued from your office, and the Patriots not be penalized in any way so that our client is competing on a level playing field going forward. Anything less is a direct attack on the integrity of the game, and we will hold you responsible for this. We will share all of this with the press immediately following this hearing."

I can see Goodell losing it and further suspending Brady for that behavior.
Pretty sure you're wrong.

Normally, to actually prevail in a defamation suit, one must demonstrate that the defamation has caused harm. In this case, the defamation may constitute defamation per se—defamation harmful enough that the defamation itself is automatically assumed to cause harm, so damage need not be shown.

The difference in damage or "harm" isn't what's concerning to me, it would be the ability to prove malicious intent, or the fact that there needs to be proof that anyone associated in this mess chose to suspend Tom Brady without merit, or necessary cause. In my opinion, a strong argument could be made in court from Goodell that a so-called "independent investigation" was initiated, which cost the NFL 5 million dollars, and was headed by a reputable individual with previous experience. Once those findings became known, a punishment was inevitable, and even that process was (supposedly) handed over to another person (Vincent).

Again--just to clarify, this isn't what I necessarily agree with at all. I'm just stating my concern with where Goodell could go in court. That said, you may have much better knowledge than I do, and a better read on the situation. I have a fair amount of education in criminology/criminal justice, but that's where it ends--and is of course, much different than going through law school and knowing the ins/outs of every legal situation. In the end this will be fascinating, yet frustrating; and unfortunately, I'm mentally prepared as a fan to deal with the possibility of the entire 4 game suspension, although I have a feeling that it may be eventually overturned. Of course, just like anything else, there are pros/cons of asking for the temporary hold and if/when the suspension could be imposed later on in the year. Lots of stuff at play here.

Last edited:
As a public figure, the standard for Brady to prevail is higher, the NY Times standard where he must prove the statements/writings were wholly or patently false
or that it was published "with reckless disregard of whether it was false or not".

That would be my concern, as well. That said, @ctpatsfan77 isn't wrong too often, so it's quite possible that there's simply a difference of opinions on this particular matter.

I should have been clearer: you need to prove damages in addition to proving that there was, in fact, defamation.

For example, let's just say, for the sake of argument, that an article in an obscure newspaper with a circulation of 75 defames a person. That person discovers the article shortly before the statute of limitations runs out; to the best of his knowledge, he had not suffered any harm as a result. He would have a hard time winning the suit and receiving damages, since he can't prove that he actually suffered any harm as a result of the defamation.

On the other hand, if the defamation constitutes defamation per se (for example, if they had falsely accused him of murder), he would not need to show that he suffered any harm; defamation per se is considered scandalous enough to warrant damages even in the absence of demonstrated harm.

Last edited:
Insurance if jimmy isn't ready

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back