Welcome to PatsFans.com

FLYING? Protect Yourself, Your Stuff, Your Rights...

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by PatsFanInVa, Jul 31, 2007.

1. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +916 / 14 / -7

...and your fellow passengers.

http://SafeTravel.dot.gov

This links you to traveling tips (not just a bunch of regs.) It's focused right now on the problems with batteries (we've all seen the YouTubes of battery fires... if you haven't just YouTube the phrase "battery fire" and have fun.)

Think about that at 30,000 feet. Now think about that at 30,000 feet in the cargo hold, where nobody knows its happening and there's plenty of fuel for the fire.

Like I said, check out the link. Re-post the link. Don't leave home without it. Yadda yadda yadda.

PFnV

2. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

They let you carry power tools in flight? I would have never thought so; but according to the link, its ok as long as they are in a case with a trigger lock. This company as well as several others make power nailers that don't require compressors and hoses. They have cordless guns that'll attach a sill plate to a concrete slab. One of them will do more damage than lots of firearms.

I remember reading about an incident where a disturbed man attempted to open an airliner's emergency door in flight. He just tried to throw the handle. The passengers subdued him a little too aggressively and he ended up dying. They panicked unnecessarily, since its completely impossible to just open one of those doors in the air. Now give that guy a drill with the right sort of shear bit on it or a power nailer with some dumb luck and he could chop right through the bolts that engage automatically and completely independently of the door latch whenever the plane is moving. Now you've got yourself a real panic situation.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2007
  3. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +995 / 2 / -9

I bring my Chain Saw everywhere with me.
    :bricks:

4. sdaniels7114

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

That would get the door open.

5. Danny Boy®

Danny Boy® Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

6. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +916 / 14 / -7

Yup. TSA tells you about stuff that's a security risk (people screwing up on purpose,) and the various DOT efforts go to safety risks (things that screw up by accident.) That's probably why the DOT site links to the TSA site.

7. sdaniels7114

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

My mistake. Now that I look closer the link says 'if you must carry power tools in your checked [emphasis mine] baggage you should...' I had just woke up when I read that this AM. My reading comprehension isn't all it should be until I have my first coffee.