PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Flutie QB controversy days long gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

PatsRI

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
I remember the days in Buffalo when all the reports were how Flutie and Johnson hated each other. Now I read this and think that the combination of Brady being such a leader (and I may be reading way too much into this but you don't see many QBs doing this) wearing a gift another QB gave him and Flutie being content here is way different.

From the Globe:
http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/reiss_pieces/2005/12/pats_wrap_16.html
Quarterback Tom Brady spoke with reporters for nearly 25 minutes and touched on a variety of topics. He wore a navy and red Natick Redmen sweatshirt, which he said was a Christmas gift from quarterback Doug Flutie. Natick High (Mass.) is Flutie’s alma mater. …

Last edited:
The problem was RJ, a legend in his own mind who started, always lost, always got injured, Flutie started, won, then RJ recovered started, always lost, always got injured, Flutie started, won, then RJ recovered started, always lost, always got injured, Flutie started, won, then RJ recovered

It's great to see two great QBs getting along. Tom is a great QB and he could learn alot from Doug.

abejarano12 said:
It's great to see two great QBs getting along. Tom is a great QB and he could learn alot from Doug.

I think Doug has learned from Tommy Boy

ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

abejarano12 said:

don't you mean it the OTHER way around??? Dougie can learn ALOT from Tom............you must be a troll.....or a joker!!!

Wow. Now the definition of a troll is anyone who does not sufficiently worship Tom Brady? Brady himself has explicitly stated, I believe, that part of the reason he likes having Flutie around is that Flutie has years of experience. Is it so impossible to believe that he might have some useful input from time to time?

Giving a prop or two to Flutie is not the same as dissing Brady, though it sure would be nice to see Flutie actually earn a prop or two on the football field! I don't mean that I'd like to see him get more pt, I mean that I'd like to see him play a little better on those rare occasions where he does get a little.

The shirt thing is nice. These guys seem to get along well.

Flutie playing better when he gets the chance is high on my wish list as we head into the post-season.

In the limited snaps he saw even in pre season it's tough to get anything going when you are playing with the third stringers for the most part. I woulddn't mind seeing Doug get several minutes with the actual starters on Sunday just for safety sake.

As for who should learn from whom, BB brought Doug in because he wanted a veteran QB to help mentor both the youngster and the young HOF'er with the equally young QB's coach/OC. In BB speak a veteran is a guy with 8-10 years in the league who has potentially seen it all. Great sounding board for guys who simply by virtue of their years may have not seen it all - even while winning 3 Superbowls.

Did you hear what Brady gave Doug???? A ProShop replica SB ring. Way to go!

Let's see how many honest people there are around here

Step up to the plate and admit it if you went on the record saying that signing Flutie this off season was a bad move because it would cause a QB controversy

This innane subject was actually debated and there were quite a few routine posters who expressed concern!

ha ha ha ha

Drewwho said:
Did you hear what Brady gave Doug???? A ProShop replica SB ring. Way to go!

good one LOL

hand in air...

I don't know....

fillip said:
Wow. Now the definition of a troll is anyone who does not sufficiently worship Tom Brady? Brady himself has explicitly stated, I believe, that part of the reason he likes having Flutie around is that Flutie has years of experience. Is it so impossible to believe that he might have some useful input from time to time?

Giving a prop or two to Flutie is not the same as dissing Brady, though it sure would be nice to see Flutie actually earn a prop or two on the football field! I don't mean that I'd like to see him get more pt, I mean that I'd like to see him play a little better on those rare occasions where he does get a little.

The shirt thing is nice. These guys seem to get along well.

You tell me......Brady has won THREE SUPERBOWL RINGS AND 2 SUPER BOWL MVP TITLES, AND HAS BEEN ELECTED TO THE PRO BOWL WHAT....3 TIMES? and what has Flutie achieved in the NFL? What do you feel that Doug can teach Tom that he doesn't already know? Maybe I'm missing something....but Brady is proven, is a TREMENDOUS leader, is a time after time winner, a strategic mastermind, and an offensive playmaking genius......no offense to Doug.....but Tom doesn't need any help!!!

stcjones said:
Tom doesn't need any help!!!

Umm. . . . I think one of the things that makes #12 so great is that he realizes that there's always more he can learn, and willing to learn from anyone who'll teach him.

PatsWickedPissah said:
The problem was RJ, a legend in his own mind who started, always lost, always got injured, Flutie started, won, then RJ recovered started, always lost, always got injured, Flutie started, won, then RJ recovered started, always lost, always got injured, Flutie started, won, then RJ recovered

Can't blame Rob Johnson for wanting to play. It's the coach's fault for taking out the guy who kept winning.

stcjones said:
You tell me......Brady has won THREE SUPERBOWL RINGS AND 2 SUPER BOWL MVP TITLES, AND HAS BEEN ELECTED TO THE PRO BOWL WHAT....3 TIMES? and what has Flutie achieved in the NFL? What do you feel that Doug can teach Tom that he doesn't already know? Maybe I'm missing something....but Brady is proven, is a TREMENDOUS leader, is a time after time winner, a strategic mastermind, and an offensive playmaking genius......no offense to Doug.....but Tom doesn't need any help!!!

As I recall, it was made pretty clear when Doug was brought on that part of what was hoped for was that he would bring the benefit of experience to the table. It seems to be one of Brady's great qualities that he is very open to input. He seems very comfortable with the notion of input from Doug, in particular, as I recall from some comments he has made.

But yeah, I suspect he can further his career a lot more effectively without Doug than Doug could hope to do without him!! lol!

I just hope that Flutie shows a little comfort and effectiveness on the field if he gets some pt this weekend.

JoeSixPat said:
Let's see how many honest people there are around here

Step up to the plate and admit it if you went on the record saying that signing Flutie this off season was a bad move because it would cause a QB controversy

This innane subject was actually debated and there were quite a few routine posters who expressed concern!

Guilty! I thought he could potentially be a distraction. He hasn't been. I was wrong. :confused:

Well

I was thrilled when doug came to the pats. We all knew there would be no QB contraversy (if you think that, you need serious help), as doug knows he's not a starter anymore and couldn't think of a better way to finish his career than where he began--back home!

Couple that with the chance to finally get a Superbowl ring, and he's happy to be here playing his role! Doug has played a lot, and never got a ring---now he knows his best chance to get one is with TB on the field! Here's to hoping doug get's his ring this year!

mtbykr said:
I was thrilled when doug came to the pats. We all knew there would be no QB contraversy (if you think that, you need serious help), as doug knows he's not a starter anymore and couldn't think of a better way to finish his career than where he began--back home!

Couple that with the chance to finally get a Superbowl ring, and he's happy to be here playing his role! Doug has played a lot, and never got a ring---now he knows his best chance to get one is with TB on the field! Here's to hoping doug get's his ring this year!

I think that's absolutely right. If Doug can get a ring and feel like he contributed somehow, I think he will be in 7th heaven.

If he were creating problems on this team, it's pretty obvious that BB would be afraid to cut him loose! Lol!

Let's face it...do you ever remember Tom Brady having an issue with any of his teammates??? NO!

Doug's had some issues in the past, so has Drew, so has Manning, etc...but this is more a tribute to Brady being the person he is and make sure everyone on his team is treated fairly and with respect.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes