PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Flutie, Pats may huddle up again - Megliola

Status
Not open for further replies.
Flutie would be a good choice, maybe he can come in for a few obscure plays, maybe the statue of liberty or double wing formation.

ya

Come on guys and get flutie a ring---you know that's why he's holding on!

Having 3 QB's onboard who understand your offense would seem to be a good thing. Especially when 2 of them together account for less than 1% of the cap - less than either Bethel Johnson or Monty Biesel. At least you'd think so. :rolleyes:

I know there are some here who worry we need more of a functional presence at the position, perhaps a guy like Damon Huard who hasn't completed a pass in the NFL in over 5 years. :eek:

Value wise backup QB is the least of our concerns IMO. While upgrading our QB's metaphorical layers of protection should be a significant concern.

Why not, Mortensen will probably beat him out in TC anyway. ;)

If Bettis is "The Bus"...can we say let's get a ring for the "Mini Cooper"

180px-SI_1984_Doug_Flutie.jpg

6 more years and we'll have our own
georgeblanda.gif

Last edited:
F.B.N. said:
If Bettis is "The Bus"...can we say let's get a ring for the "Mini Cooper"

180px-SI_1984_Doug_Flutie.jpg

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

F.B.N. said:
6 more years and we'll have our own
georgeblanda.gif
Matt Cassel = George Blanda? I don't get it. . . . (Or ar e you just referring to his #16?)

ctpatsfan77 said:
Matt Cassel = George Blanda? I don't get it. . . . (Or ar e you just referring to his #16?)

Referring to Blanda playing until he was 48 years old...."Mini Cooper" will be 43 this year....I bet he could do it if he wanted. He's very active in charity work so perhaps he doesn't have enough time to devote to keeping an older body in playing shape year round and spending time with his family.

GJAJ15 said:
Flutie would be a good choice, maybe he can come in for a few obscure plays, maybe the statue of liberty or double wing formation.
somebody later on this thread compared cassell to george blanda. no, the stars are aligned the other way. blanda had flutie magic! he scored a $h!tload of points from ages 42 & 48. when stabler got pounded out of games, he authored a lotta 4th quarter drama. matt cassell=george blanda. NFW. the equation is doug flutie_george blanda. nhere's soporting news:

"nothing matched the......impact Blanda brought to the......Raiders from 1967 until his 1975 retirement as the oldest player in football history. In a magical 1970 season,....age 43, the Old Man came off the bench in five straight games to deliver a dramatic kick or touchdown pass to produce a win or tie. The heroics continued......protruding jaw and craggy face of No. 16 became a highlight-film regular."

THIS is why flutie's is on the patriots roster. it's not a "feelgood" nostalgia thing. you KNOW Bill "Letter Sweater" Belichick dont play that.....he may be listed as 3rd string QB, but believe me he's coming in in a 4th qtr situation. if you ever saw flutie you'd understand. Flutie can come in cold and win you a game, down by 7, eight minutes left. Cassell can't yet. I'd start Cassell in a fresh game, but if it's close in 4th qtr flutie's coming in.

F.B.N. said:
Referring to Blanda playing until he was 48 years old...."Mini Cooper" will be 43 this year....I bet he could do it if he wanted. He's very active in charity work so perhaps he doesn't have enough time to devote to keeping an older body in playing shape year round and spending time with his family.

Also, Blanda was a QB, and late in his career also became a placekicker, just like Flutie! :D

Fanfrom1960 said:
Also, Blanda was a QB, and late in his career also became a placekicker, just like Flutie! :D

blanda was the full time kicker, for kickoffs as well as EGs and extra points. he was so much fun to watch after age 40. and so much more efficient.
won 5 straight games with last-second kick or 4th qtr touchdownn pass. crowd (bikers, goths before there were goths, wimmin wearin' hardly nothin', folks in kiss and alice kooper getups, "ymca" people) went crazy.
i wonder if the 2 have ever met.
blanda's in his '70s now.

ilduce06410 said:
blanda was the full time kicker, for kickoffs as well as EGs and extra points. he was so much fun to watch after age 40. and so much more efficient.
won 5 straight games with last-second kick or 4th qtr touchdownn pass. crowd (bikers, goths before there were goths, wimmin wearin' hardly nothin', folks in kiss and alice kooper getups, "ymca" people) went crazy.
i wonder if the 2 have ever met.
blanda's in his '70s now.

I was comparing Flutie to Blanda...not Cassell....anyways...I remember Blanda kicking in bad weather games....He was a straight on kicker with very little motion.

The young guys here didn't get the joy of witnessing those straight line kickers...LOL.he was very good in bad weather games..very clutch guy. Remember all the Buzz when we got John Smith? Like the soccer style kickers were going to reinvent the game...they didn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes