PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Florio thinks we will re-load

Status
Not open for further replies.
this year after what the pats did going 16-0, i really thought they would become the first free agent winner in the salary cap era to actually win a sb

but it didn't happen

free agency winners just never win it all

Florio thinks a lot of things and puts on his website.just whatever comes to his mind on the day.its amazing how he has managed to make a biz out of it.

So apparently he owns Sporting News, now.

Because that's who he also writes for, and that's who this column was for. It wasn't just "something he put on his website."

Also, has anyone noticed the love affair Florio has with Randall Gay? Here, he made it sound like franchising Gay was anything but the most ridiculous thing ever. Last offseason, I remember him saying Gay was equal to Samuel when talking about the Pats' draft needs.

In short, if Beioli had even remotely thought about giving Gay $9.4M, I would have become a Colts fan.

Safety actually interests me more than CB; because we know we need CB unless Samuel stays.

Safety we have Harrison, Sanders, Meriweather and could save $3M by realeasing an aging Harrison. I would keep Harrison and draft another young Safety in the 3rd round or so. That would give us a good foursome and a good transition from Harrison. With the cap savings, though, I don't think it's clear that we will bring him back for sure.
How much is Sanders CAP space? He's the guy that needs to be cut. No tackles in the SB. He can't cover or tackle. He's gotta have dirty pictures on BB. The guy is awful!
I agree big time! A safety is needed to rotate with Harrison and "Metal Mitts Merriweather".
Hamlin?
DW Toys

How much is Sanders CAP space? He's the guy that needs to be cut. No tackles in the SB. He can't cover or tackle. He's gotta have dirty pictures on BB. The guy is awful!
I agree big time! A safety is needed to rotate with Harrison and "Metal Mitts Merriweather".
Hamlin?
DW Toys

A whopping $621k for 2008, or .5% of the Pats' cap. He's a rapidly-improving mid-round pick who got his first chance to start full-time this season. Shown a bunch of promise. Lay off.

As long as Moss stays the offense will be almost if not every bit as potent as what we had this year, provided health is not an issue. Losing 1 or 2 out of Gaffney, Stallworth, Jackson or Washington will not hurt that bad.

Defense is a real problem on this team. Defensive speed, specifically. I'm happy with a Hobbs/Sanders/Meriweather/??? secondary of the future for the most part, but the linebackers really, really need addressing.

The entire Defensive front had a grand total of 14 sacks in a 16 game schedule. FOURTEEN!!!
Highest paid d-lineman in the game Big Seyesta had a whopping 2, Wilfork 2, Warren 4 and Green 6.
In the playoffs the Dfront accounted for 2 sacks in 3 games. TWO!
Big Seyesta accounted for ZERO!
That is PATHETIC QB pressure from your D-line no matter what defense you are running. Mike Vrabel almost matched the sack output of the entire Dfront all by himself with his 12 sacks.
If you want to know why all those second string QB's like Boller and Lemon and Jay Feeley were looking like Johnny Unitas against us this year you can start with this group up front. My eyes weren't lying when they routinely saw a non-existent Dfront pass rush this year.
14 sacks in 16 games by the D-front??? Ugh!!!

We play a 3-4. We have all Defensive Tackles. We also 2-gap everyone and each lineman gets double teamed.

this year after what the pats did going 16-0, i really thought they would become the first free agent winner in the salary cap era to actually win a sb

but it didn't happen

free agency winners just never win it all

We did in 2001. That team was stacked with new comers that season.

But you couldn't call them "free agency winners," at least before the season. Vrabel and company were anything but the cream of the FA crop.

but did it include any marquee names at that time?

was NE looked at as a free agent mover and shaker before they stepped on the field?

i don't think so

i'm just saying, the media-deemed free agency winners never seal the deal in the cap era, it's weird.

welker and moss i don't even count in the whole FA winner topic either, as they were trades (brilliant trades it turns out)

i'm speaking more about the adalius thomas signing which put NE into the free agency winner column for the first time in a long time.

it sets up a weird offseason now, i know my team the chargers (or at least i suspect) will not make any splashes cause they don't like signing big name FAs

but NE has lived both ways now, so they're now an enigma

i could see them doing nothing and building through the draft, and signing some jonny lunchpails or i could see them going ape like last offseason+draft and doing some big signing + trades

eugene wilson, brandon merriweather, james sanders

Personally.... Id like to see gino slide over at corner, thats the position he was drafted at anywho, and the tandem of Sanders, who has improved greatly, and hits with cement in his shoulder pads, plus Brandon who has shown a lot in the limited time he has played this year, always around the ball, so many almost pick offs, and the way he hits makes me think Rodney Harrison, just younger, those two would make a spectaculiar tandem. If you dont slide Eugene over, which they most likely wouldnt, he has playing safety for years now, they could rotate them.

It is time for Rodney to either hang em up, or take a reduced role.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back