PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Florio posts up to date cap space for all 32 teams

Status
Not open for further replies.
You can always manufacture cap room. There is just a price to pay for that eventually. And players and their agents know that, too.

Belichick has always been smart with the cap and has never left them in bad shape going into coming years but they have much more leeway now than ever before because of the expected rise in future caps. They have major re-signs coming down the road but even with that taken into consideration they really have the opportunity to be aggressive if they wish to be, and imo they should be because the rest of the league is going to use that impending space to better their teams and the Patriots should be doing the same. As always it will come down to value but iif they see it there they should go for it because the room to absorb those contracts is going to be there. They don't go big in free agency often but they do go for it every now and then, albeit with mixeed results, AD being the major bust. That shouldn't, however, keep them from going for it again if they see an opportunity for a truly great player. I have no idea how Belichick sees Mario Williams but if he feels he is a player that can be a big time game changer on defense then I would love to see him take the plunge and go for it. They could still get priced out of it easily by a team like the Skins who doesn't take anything into consideration when throwing money around, but if they can get it done within reason i would love it. I don't think their defense is "a player away" by any means, but i do think a true game changer could take them to a much higher level, and they can fill around them with this draft. A pipedream, most likely, but it's a day before free agency, i can dream.

All those teams in bold could be looking for a DE....which is a big clash of interest. I'd say if we had genuine interest in Williams, all those teams would too. Bengals could do with interior line. Defensive back could well be a big need for the Buccs, as well as RB. Jaguars could benefit from a DB as well.

There are a few teams who will be players in FA this year who clash with our needs unfortunately.

All those four teams also have cheap/cash poor owners who are not known for handing out huge signing bonuses.

If Light retires they will free up another $3.5M in cap space (Bedard is tweeting $8M but not based on the contract as reported - $6M signing bonus protated and $3.5M in salary and workout money this season). An Ocho restructure could free up $1.5-2M and a release $3M. The draftees won't take up as much as mg projects because they will knock players out of the top 51, so maybe $3-4M.

They could knock another $5M off with simple restructures to Wilfork, Mankins and Gostowski. If they really need it they can knock $4M or so off of Brady, but that just puts his final 2 cap hits above $20M...

You can always manufacture cap room. There is just a price to pay for that eventually. And players and their agents know that, too.
Signing Welker long term will save 4-5 mill too

The worst part, so to speak, is that he doesn't even have to spend much of it this year; the CBA lets other teams cover his a** on spending. [There actually is a salary floor this year, but it's league-wide.]

Next year, though, a team-by-team floor comes in. That's when the drunken sailor routine'll kick in for sure.

I predict a one year headstart for Dan Snyder.

Notice how little cap the Squealers could roll fwd. Given their aging team, that franchise is in for a rough spot. It's between Baltimore and (gulp) Cinci for that division.

the team will also need to set aside about $5 million for rookie contracts, and a slush fund for emergency signings that may need to be made over the course of the season.

That's true, but misleading. IIRC, as a simple rule of thumb, only the part of rookie signing bonus prorations above $100K will count as "new money" against the 2012 cap; the rest of it will just displace a salary on the Top 51.

Not necessarily since teams who roll over after this season will have to spend 89% of their adjusted cap. Fewer will be rolling it all over, if it still exists. They will either spend it now or pocket it to use on non player expenses...which can include paying yourself and your kids and your friends, etc. Could fund a scouting department for years to come, but I wouldn't hold my breath for that in Cincy...

Odds are if the Bungles have $40M+ in cap room this year, they have a ton of cap room next year.

Whenever Felger opens his yap in regards to the salary cap he sounds like the biggest fool ever, what a maroon.

Do these figures include the penalty subtractions for the Cowboys (minus $10 million) and the Redskins (minus $36 million, I think). If not both teams are pretty much out of the FA market.

I think the biggest story in our division will be what the Bills will do with that $30 million. The Jets and the Dolphins especially should be very concerned. Bills made some strides last year ... a good draft and prudent signings could push the dolphins and jets to 3rd and 4th next year ... :D:D:D

Last edited:
I think the biggest story in our division will be what the Bills will do with that $30 million. The Jets and the Dolphins especially should be very concerned. Bills made some strides last year ... a good draft and prudent signings could push the dolphins and jets to 3rd and 4th next year ... :D:D:D

Ralph Wilson

Do these figures include the penalty subtractions for the Cowboys (minus $10 million) and the Redskins (minus $36 million, I think). If not both teams are pretty much out of the FA market.

No, but they have been given the option of absorbing those penalties in any way they choose to over this year and next. So I doubt either will take the entire hit in 2012. But they will be feelin' the pinch because neither can afford to take it all next season...

That's true, but misleading. IIRC, as a simple rule of thumb, only the part of rookie signing bonus prorations above $100K will count as "new money" against the 2012 cap; the rest of it will just displace a salary on the Top 51.
What does $100,000 represent?

I believe what you are referring to is that any player signed for more than the 51 highest cap # becomes one of the top 51, but the previous #51 drops off.
i.e. Mr 51 has a cap hit of 400k. If 2nd round pick has a cap 3 of 575k, the net effect is 175,000.
Someone posted last years rookie cap cost ended up being abuor 2.5 mill.
However, you must also eventually account for the 52 and 53rd players.
But, since you never have the 53 highest paid guys make the team, that usually ends up being small, 500k at the most, or even a savings.
Then you must pay the practice squad.
Then you must leave cap space for in season transactions. If you use it all you can't sign anyone to replace injured players.

Using $5,000,000 is a safe way to represent the total effect of all of those factors.

LaConfora has posted updated cap space #'s for all 32 teams as of 12:01AM this morning. Has the Pats at $15.5M (none of the figures include the $1.6M penalty credit). Does not include $1.9M tender for Hoyer and whatever Love's ERFA tender is. So after those still probably just over $14M in cap space heading into FA.

NFL.com Blogs » Blog Archive Salary cap numbers for all 32 NFL teams «

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye