PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Florio posts up to date cap space for all 32 teams

Status
Not open for further replies.
If Light retires they will free up another $3.5M in cap space (Bedard is tweeting $8M but not based on the contract as reported - $6M signing bonus protated and $3.5M in salary and workout money this season). An Ocho restructure could free up $1.5-2M and a release $3M. The draftees won't take up as much as mg projects because they will knock players out of the top 51, so maybe $3-4M.

They could knock another $5M off with simple restructures to Wilfork, Mankins and Gostowski. If they really need it they can knock $4M or so off of Brady, but that just puts his final 2 cap hits above $20M...

You can always manufacture cap room. There is just a price to pay for that eventually. And players and their agents know that, too.

Good post & good points.

Re: Brady, they could manufacture some space there for sure, and even if it raises his final cap hits that high a) the cap will eventually raise by 2014 b) they can, and should, extend him for another couple years down the road. He wants to play until he is 40, he's still legitimately in his prime. He probably even is hungrier for a ring now then ever, and would be willing to take yet another - even friendlier - team friendly extension. Maybe we don't need to do it right now, but it should be on Kraft/BB's mind at some point soon.

Last edited:
lmao at the Cardinals. $16 mill over? who are they even paying? Aside from Fitz.

The Pats are fine. They have plenty of ways to restructure contracts and make cuts if they want the cap room. At this point, the only moves they made was to cut two players.

The Pats have the 12th most cap space in the league. If they don't have much room to do anything, then neither does most of the league. It means that 8-9 teams will be the ones making all the moves. I kinda doubt that will happen. The Pats could probably free up $8-10 million fairly easily if they want to.

This is very interesting. Not many teams with a lot of space, but a TON of free agents out there. Lots of supply, not as much demand (not a lack of desire, but a lack of $$) = low prices.

I always thought that Miami would be the best place for Manning, but Dever's cap space makes it able to not only sign Manning to a Manning type deal, but be able to sign some of his Colt buddies as well. That could make Denver just too attractive to Manning to go to Miami or AZ and watch them have to try to and squeeze him into a cap that might ultimately harm the team..

that's rational. However has a team's cap issues ever concerned Manning deeply in the past?

Good post & good points.

Re: Brady, they could manufacture some space there for sure, and even if it raises his final cap hits that high a) the cap will eventually raise by 2014 b) they can, and should, extend him for another couple years down the road. He wants to play until he is 40, he's still legitimately in his prime. He probably even is hungrier for a ring now then ever, and would be willing to take yet another - even friendlier - team friendly extension. Maybe we don't need to do it right now, but it should be on Kraft/BB's mind at some point soon.

I agree and have always said that Brady will be extended another 2-3 years barring catastrophic injury or falling off a cliff. But restructures create dead cap and tend to make genuinely cap friendly shorter term extensions more difficult. Like Bill always says, you can do anything you want as long as you are prepared to accept the tradeoff, because there will always be one. I think Polian was always prepared to accept an ugly dead cap hit once the Manning era ended in Indy. I don't think Bill is. They had very different philosophies when it came to the cap, among other things.

Redskins: $31.1 million under.

I had to re-read that five times not believing my eyes. IF they are right about RGIII they have the money to put some talent around him and their defense is already solid.

Colts: $11.6 million under.

With all their cuts that's al they're under the cap? LOL @ Polian's mismanagement. Overrated.

Texans: $4.7 million over.

Bye Mario.

Cardinals: $16.4 million over.

There's no way they can sign Manning and bring in his favorite toys. I know they can cut Kolb and some others but still.

There's no way they can sign Manning and bring in his favorite toys. I know they can cut Kolb and some others but still.

That includes a franchise tag on Calais Campbell. I wonder if they would release the tag if they are Mannings #1 choice. Or maybe the Pats could offer them a draft pick for him? The next week or so is going to be alot if fun!

I had to re-read that five times not believing my eyes. IF they are right about RGIII they have the money to put some talent around him and their defense is already solid.

With all their cuts that's al they're under the cap? LOL @ Polian's mismanagement. Overrated.

Bye Mario.

When they cut Levi Brown they will save $14.15M on this years cap. There are a few others who would get cut like Kolb, Heap etc.

that's rational. However has a team's cap issues ever concerned Manning deeply in the past?

Only over time, as in recently given he now knows the end of his career is at best approaching, it concerns him as it relates to him. He hasn't even taken Condon on this tour with him because first and foremost, this is about finding the best football situation for him with maybe 3 years left to play and a lot of unavoidable changes to muddle through for a guy who thrives on consistency and conformity. And Condon has always been first and foremost all about the $$$.

Bye Mario.

The Colts freed up another $10M with their post Manning cuts and those aren't factored in yet because the paperwork likely didn't get filed before the league offices closed on Friday. So they are $21M under with reportedly $38M or so in dead cap and that's before they trade Freeney (who will add $5M to dead cap but $14M to cap space). So they can begin to rebuild and at least restock to keep Luck upright initially via FA.

Last edited:
looking at the teams under the cap, one needs to think about the fact that there is no cap bottom, either....half of these teams will make sure they make good use of that this year...in my opinion these teams are in bold..the teams in italics have what I believe are much different needs than the pats or at least their primary need is not one that competes with the pats:
Bengals: $49.9 million under.
Broncos: $44.7 million under.
Buccaneers: $42.7 million under.
Jaguars: $40.6 million under.
Chiefs: $32.5 million under.
Bills: $30.8 million under.
Seahawks: $29.8 million under.
Titans: $28.1 million under.
Bears: $22.6 million under.
49ers: $21.8 million under.
Browns: $17.4 million under.

When they cut Levi Brown they will save $14.15M on this years cap. There are a few others who would get cut like Kolb, Heap etc.

Kolb is a wash if released before his option is due and Heap is like a $2M savings. Part of their problem is they have to make a ton of cuts or restructures just to fit Manning under the cap and then they have to make improvements especially to their OL in order for him to feel comfortable playing there. And if they release Campbell they will be looking for help on defense, too.

Only over time, as in recently given he now knows the end of his career is at best approaching, it concerns him as it relates to him. He hasn't even taken Condon on this tour with him because first and foremost, this is about finding the best football situation for him with maybe 3 years left to play and a lot of unavoidable changes to muddle through for a guy who thrives on consistency and conformity. And Condon has always been first and foremost all about the $$$.

i sincerely hope his health & arm are excellent as I've come to respect and enjoy watching an all time great. Given his wealth it should be all about the legacy and he should pick the best opportunity to succeed.

i think this fall football season has the potential to be off the charts interesting.

Denver seems the right place for Manning. They could even commit to bringing in Wayne.

How is Denver and their open air Stadium the right place for a QB who thrives playing in the dome? I just don't see Manning going there and being successful..

For those interested in the details, Florio has posted a list of teams who requested carryover from 2011. Those who did not pocketed the cash or spent it elsewhere...than on players. We somehow managed to roll over $300K more than we had left as of 2/12 ($6.6M). That tells me there were some substantial LTBE's in some deals that never materialized and not many or any NLTBE's that did and either we had few guys reaching escalators or they were outstripped by the unachieved LTBE's.

We rolled over $6.9M.

Cap carryover for 2012 | ProFootballTalk

The most miserly owner in the NFL has $49 million to spend?????

That's like giving Ray Charles a driver's license.

The worst part, so to speak, is that he doesn't even have to spend much of it this year; the CBA lets other teams cover his a** on spending. [There actually is a salary floor this year, but it's league-wide.]

Next year, though, a team-by-team floor comes in. That's when the drunken sailor routine'll kick in for sure.

Last edited:
How is Denver and their open air Stadium the right place for a QB who thrives playing in the dome? I just don't see Manning going there and being successful..

His indoor vs. outdoor stats have never been glaringly different overall. Weapons and opportunity are more significant, and if SF and St. Louis are competitive again or as a result of the draft picks trade, Denver likely has an easier path to it's division. I know about the Chargers, but then they are more often than not who I think they are. The Chief's may get it turned back around, or they may not. They were in the hunt for Manning as it is, so that tells you something. The Raiders are toast and in flux yet again. And while it may snow sideways in Denver at times in September, it can just as suddlenly be 70 and sunny in December. You get used to the altitude, and it sucks the life out of defenses if not physically then mentally...

He and Elway talk the same language. That bond will outlast lots of circumstances. He and Wisenhut talk a similar language as did Warner and Wisenhut, but he's cap strapped and creating more room will further weaken that team and he's not on the same level security wise as Elway is. Plus Elway has $40M in cap space to work with without cutting or restructuring anyone. Domes are comfortable but they don't always win games for you. And you face some nasty undomed teams in that conference including one he doens't want to deal with because of Eli. The NFC is presently more flush with top tier QB's than the AFC not including Manning. So there are lots of reasons.

It would appear that is what it will come down to since according to Schefter he will take no more visits... Seattle desperately tried to land one but either they waited to long like Tennessee or he just isn't comfortable with their organization (Allen is somewhat the absentee owner/investor, as is the crochety old coot who owns the Titans and resides in Houston). Miami is Ross and Ireland and that whole King Carl lurking thing and the celebrity part owners bs - and the AFCE. Peyton has apparently dissected his options at the LOS like a defense, narrowed it down to two calls and will flap his arms and holler alert or make that funny bull horns sign and call his play and get rid of the ball quickly.

looking at the teams under the cap, one needs to think about the fact that there is no cap bottom, either....half of these teams will make sure they make good use of that this year...in my opinion these teams are in bold..the teams in italics have what I believe are much different needs than the pats or at least their primary need is not one that competes with the pats:
Bengals: $49.9 million under.
Broncos: $44.7 million under.
Buccaneers: $42.7 million under.
Jaguars: $40.6 million under.
Chiefs: $32.5 million under.
Bills: $30.8 million under.
Seahawks: $29.8 million under.
Titans: $28.1 million under.
Bears: $22.6 million under.
49ers: $21.8 million under.
Browns: $17.4 million under.

All those teams in bold could be looking for a DE....which is a big clash of interest. I'd say if we had genuine interest in Williams, all those teams would too. Bengals could do with interior line. Defensive back could well be a big need for the Buccs, as well as RB. Jaguars could benefit from a DB as well.

There are a few teams who will be players in FA this year who clash with our needs unfortunately.

Last edited:
The worst part, so to speak, is that he doesn't even have to spend much of it this year; the CBA lets other teams cover his a** on spending. [There actually is a salary floor this year, but it's league-wide.]

Next year, though, a team-by-team floor comes in. That's when the drunken sailor routine'll kick in for sure.

Not necessarily since teams who roll over after this season will have to spend 89% of their adjusted cap. Fewer will be rolling it all over, if it still exists. They will either spend it now or pocket it to use on non player expenses...which can include paying yourself and your kids and your friends, etc. Could fund a scouting department for years to come, but I wouldn't hold my breath for that in Cincy...

Stupid question but did the Pats apply their surplus cap from last year to this season?

Yes.

Patriots have $16.2 million of cap room - Extra Points - Boston.com

The 2012 cap number is $120.6 million. The Patriots have carried over the $6.7 million they didn't use on the '11 cap.

So the Patriots are operating on an individual cap number of $127.3 million.

Right now, including Wes Welker's franchise tag of $9.515 million, the Patriots are committed to $99.8 million to the top 51 contracts this season. They also have about $11.3 million in dead cap space from previous transactions.

So they are committed to $111.1 million at this time.​

Bedard goes on to point out additional potential savings (if Matt Light retires, if Ochocinco restructures or is cut), as well as other cap costs that will be coming soon (Pats don't currently have a starting center under contract, Brian Hoyer's expected 2nd-round tender will count about $1.9 million); the team will also need to set aside about $5 million for rookie contracts, and a slush fund for emergency signings that may need to be made over the course of the season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes