PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Florio, King, Moss on Cassel's future

Status
Not open for further replies.
15 year contracts are not allowed in the NFL.
Is there an explicit limit? I know there are rules that limit how far out a signing bonus can be prorated, but I didn't know there's a rule limiting contract length.

That is my assumption.

Of course, one of those demands may be that the name of the team's city doesn't start with a "D". I suspect that the deal is already made, but as I have said many times, the patriots and other teams can talk until they are blue in the face. It is Cassel's long term contract that is at stake. He and his agent will negotiate his contract with whatever team he ultimately plays for. The patriots do indeed have the option of trading him to Detroit for a 5th or so. If this happens, then Cassel will have to accept that he will make $14.6M and be a free agent again next year. Cassel is the key to the patriots getting even as much a the 2010 3rd they would have gotten if they simply let him go to free agency. And Cassel can now wait as long as he wants. He is guaranteed at least $14.6M for his services in 2009. Or perhaps some of you think that some team will give the patriots a first for a player who doesn't want to negotiate a long term deal with them and will cost them $14.6M for a one-year deal.

Maybe Scotty is taking Cassel with him; perhaps not. Perhaps Cassel is willing to sign a long-term contract with the worst team and worst franchise in football; perhaps not. We will see what happens. Apparently Chicago, Minny and TB ahve all tentatively decided to go in other directions.

Is your assumption that Cassel doesn't care where he goes as long as they are willing to pay him what he demands?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back