PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Florio gets it right; what the players may not understand about an uncapped year

Status
Not open for further replies.
I still say teams will pay big bucks and the unfloored thing is only relevant for the moribund dead-end franchises.

The Patriots could take advantage of an uncapped year and set themselves up for a huge huge advantage when the cap returns. Why wouldn't Kraft, Jerry Jones and the Giants do it? We know the Redskins will be spending money.

Because it will undercut their bargaining position?

just check the wonderlic scores --- they're football players, not businessmen or lawyers.
well, except culpepper.

That doesn't fit with my experience. I've met very rich and/or successful professionals who weren't the brightest bulbs in any room, just the savviest and most aggressive or ambitious.

The small markets will benefit from having no new deal. A year of no cap would mean a year of paying the players MUCH, MUCH less.

I agree with you on that narrow point, but more broadly I think that the big market owners like Kraft, Laurie, Jones and the Mara's will force changes to the CBA that will at the very least compel the small market franchises to be more aggressive about marketing their brands and that they will also try to change the revenue sharing forumula, directly or indirectly. The big market owners have a lot more room in their P&L's than do the small market teams, unless they have saddled themselves with excessive debt or bad stadium deals.

I agree with you on that narrow point, but more broadly I think that the big market owners like Kraft, Laurie, Jones and the Mara's will force changes to the CBA that will at the very least compel the small market franchises to be more aggressive about marketing their brands and that they will also try to change the revenue sharing forumula, directly or indirectly. The big market owners have a lot more room in their P&L's than do the small market teams, unless they have saddled themselves with excessive debt or bad stadium deals.

I just hope that Kraft with his personal stadium debt service compared to the publicly financed stadia and his personal investment creating Patriot Place is in top financial shape compared to teams like Wash, Dallas and NY.

AD, the Pats' players rep, offhandedly admitted on WEEI more than a month ago that he had 'no idea' how an uncapped year worked or what it meant to the players. I was stunned on two counts - first because they were discussing the next labor agreement with him, and two because if he had no clue what it meant then what could the rank and file know?

In defense of AD, Vrabel was the player rep for years and the trade wasn't expected, so I don't think he (AD) expected to be the player rep. IIRC Vrabel was pretty well versed on CBA and implications....

Edit-Matt Light is the new player rep, not AD according to Reiss but my point still stands...
http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/articles/2009/04/05/hell_be_a_guiding_light/

Last edited:
Why do you call Florio a jerk? He has a great website for the football fan!
I agree that PFT is a great website and has a TON of information but read my post about the NFLPA settlement with the retired players. THAT is why I think he can be a jerk some times. There are many others...but sometimes he gets it right..a LOT of the time he stays out of things..

In defense of AD, Vrabel was the player rep for years and the trade wasn't expected, so I don't think he (AD) expected to be the player rep. IIRC Vrabel was pretty well versed on CBA and implications....

Edit-Matt Light is the new player rep, not AD according to Reiss but my point still stands...
He'll be a guiding Light - The Boston Globe

First of all, I get the feeling that AD is not the only NFL player that is not fully aware of the situation, so it may not be fair to single him out. However, if he does not know what is going on then there are several parties that have failed in their responsibilities: AD himself; his agent; the NFLPA; former rep Mike Vrabel; and current rep Matt Light.

If all of this crap leads to a holdout or players strike, it's going to put me off of football for a while, just like it did in '82 and '87. In '82, the season was 9 games, with some sort of strange thrown-together playoff scheme happening at the end. The '87 season was 15 games, some of those played by replacement players. The Washington Redskins won the Super Bowl both of these years. So, if the owners or Union want to play hardball, I won't tune in to see the Redskins will the Super Bowl again...it could happen, too, with the money the Redskins would be willing to throw around.

If all of this crap leads to a holdout or players strike, it's going to put me off of football for a while, just like it did in '82 and '87. In '82, the season was 9 games, with some sort of strange thrown-together playoff scheme happening at the end. The '87 season was 15 games, some of those played by replacement players. The Washington Redskins won the Super Bowl both of these years. So, if the owners or Union want to play hardball, I won't tune in to see the Redskins will the Super Bowl again...it could happen, too, with the money the Redskins would be willing to throw around.
You do dealize that Snyder didn't own the team back then, right? That those teams have nothing to do with the current Redskin owner spending-wise? And that in '82 and '87 there was no cap? That everyone could spend as much as they wanted?

:rolleyes:

First of all, I get the feeling that AD is not the only NFL player that is not fully aware of the situation, so it may not be fair to single him out.
It is fair. He isn't being signled out. He stated publicly that he didn't know how it worked because he hadn't thought about it much. It is fair to discuss his public comments.

You do dealize that Snyder didn't own the team back then, right? That those teams have nothing to do with the current Redskin owner spending-wise? And that in '82 and '87 there was no cap? That everyone could spend as much as they wanted?
:rolleyes:

Nice. You do "dealize" that you didn't listen to what I said, right?

I'm saying that the problem with the cap could result in a holdout or strike, which would have everything to do with '82 and '87...different circumstances maybe, but it always has to do with money in the end.

I brought up the Redskins because I found it ironic that they won the Super Bowls in both holdout/strike seasons the NFL has had so far. Then I said that they could win it again now that Snyder is the owner since he's willing to throw down big money historically.

Now do you understand?

Now do you understand?
I understod you before, cupcake. You said the Redskins won the superbowl both strike years, and it could happen again because the Redskins would be willing to throw money around:

The Washington Redskins won the Super Bowl both of these years. So, if the owners or Union want to play hardball, I won't tune in to see the Redskins will the Super Bowl again...it could happen, too, with the money the Redskins would be willing to throw around.
Snyder has been throwning money around for years to no effect, and throwing money around wasn't the reason they won those games, anyway.

I understod you before, cupcake. You said the Redskins won the superbowl both strike years, and it could happen again because the Redskins would be willing to throw money around:

Snyder has been throwning money around for years to no effect, and throwing money around wasn't the reason they won those games, anyway.

Oh, I see. You're just a pud that likes to twist what I say.

Why don't you just take what I said at face value instead of trying invent ways to make me look stupid? Did you even know that the Redskins won both holdout/strike years before I said it? Being willing to throw money around will mean a lot more in an uncapped year, which Florio even alluded to in his article... and that wasn't even my main point. I was talking about a strike...didn't even suggest why the Redskins won the last two times. I just thought it would be funny if they won all three Super Bowls of holdout/strike years, and you got on my case for some reason. Small penis?

were you even around in '82 or '87 to see what happened those years?

Last edited:
Oh, I see. You're just a pud that likes to twist what I say.

Why don't you just take what I said at face value instead of trying invent ways to make me look stupid?
Chill, dude. I didn't twist anything. I used the quote function. Your entire post is below, again. You remind me of that guy who claimed he was misquoted when someone quoted his autobiography.

Small penis
Maybe when you grow up, so will it.

were you even around in '82 or '87 to see what happened those years?
As it happens, I was following football before the AFL came into existence (Giants fan like most New Englanders back then, but I don't see how relevant this is. Hey, you made a post I thought didn't make sense. Talking about your little doo-wangle or saying I wasn't around doesn't change that. If you are so sensitive, stay off the internet. Or learn to discuss without ad hominem attacks.

(An ad hominem argument, also known as argumentum ad hominem (Latin: "argument to the man", "argument against the man") consists of replying to an argument or factual claim by attacking or appealing to a characteristic or belief of the source making the argument or claim, rather than by addressing the substance of the argument or producing evidence against the claim.)

If this makes sense to you, fine. It doesn't to me.

Last edited:
I didn't twist anything.

If this makes sense to you, fine. It doesn't to me.

There you have it. You misunderstood me, I guess. How can you not twist what I said if you don't understand it? What I said wasn't that complicated. I said holdouts/strikes suck...I've been through them. What happens during those years is BS. It hasn't been reflective of the actual talent pool out there. Then I brought up the irony of the Redskins winning every time this happens and made a joke about the possibility of that happening again.

What's not to get, and how can I be wrong?

You made it seem like I said that Snyder and the uncapped year were the reasons why the Redskins won the first two strike/holdout years in the NFL. I said nothing of the sort...not even close.

Last edited:
As it happens, I was following football before the AFL came into existence (Giants fan like most New Englanders back then, but I don't see how relevant this is. Hey, you made a post I thought didn't make sense. Talking about your little doo-wangle or saying I wasn't around doesn't change that. If you are so sensitive, stay off the internet. Or learn to discuss without ad hominem attacks.

(An ad hominem argument, also known as argumentum ad hominem (Latin: "argument to the man", "argument against the man") consists of replying to an argument or factual claim by attacking or appealing to a characteristic or belief of the source making the argument or claim, rather than by addressing the substance of the argument or producing evidence against the claim.)

Actually, I asked a question. It was an honest question. I didn't make any kind of statement. While considering logical fallacies, you might want to look up the straw man argument. Maybe it will help you in the future.

Last edited:
Is anyone else a bit worried that some guys here seem to be able to detect our penis size over the internet? Hidden wide angle webcam?

Last edited:
Is anyone else a bit worried that some guys here seem to be able to detect our penis size over the internet? Hidden wide angle webcam?

Big brother is watching. I can tell what you had for breakfast from where I'm sitting.

It is fair. He isn't being signled out. He stated publicly that he didn't know how it worked because he hadn't thought about it much. It is fair to discuss his public comments.

Adalius Thomas isn't a free agent until 2012. I don't see how this affects him at all, or why he should think about it much. In 2011 he can think about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes