PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Florida verus Alabama

Status
Not open for further replies.

cstjohn17

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Time to watch the Mt. Cody show plus the Bama offensive line. For Florida all of their skill players plus Spikes at ILB.

I like the safety from Bama, Rashard Johnson i think is his name.I think everyone is sleeping on Bama in this game.

Ochmed,

I watched Florida's first offensive series focusing on Cody and came away with a deep appreciation for RG Michael Pouncey. On that drive he was handling Cody one-on-one, his twin brother at C and their LG were doubling on Cody, but Michael was impressive standing Cody up and even steering him.

can we please draft some more florida receivers? That'd be sweet...

I've been watching two players intently, Cody obviously, and also Brandon Spikes - I was hoping both would leave me hugely impressed, but they've both been hot and cold during the game.

Julio Jones has stolen the show though - that kid is gonna be great.

This game has definitely lived up to its billing thus far.

I've been watching two players intently, Cody obviously, and also Brandon Spikes - I was hoping both would leave me hugely impressed, but they've both been hot and cold during the game.

What I've liked about Spikes is his willingness to take on OL and his coverage, I'll need to rewatch this game looking for him to assess his overall play - but Alabama has made a point of trying to get a big body on him.

Cody looks like he needs to lose some weight and get quicker, I think part of his problem is he's standing up and the OL are getting their hands on him first. I'd agree with Ochmed's plan to draft him and let Woicik, Nash, and Davis tune his body while Pepper and Vince coach him on technique.

BritPat - don't get suckered into falling for one player based on one game. It leads to heartache. That being said, we'll have to wait a couple of years before Jones is eligible for the draft.

What I've liked about Spikes is his willingness to take on OL and his coverage, I'll need to rewatch this game looking for him to assess his overall play - but Alabama has made a point of trying to get a big body on him.

Cody looks like he needs to lose some weight and get quicker, I think part of his problem is he's standing up and the OL are getting their hands on him first. I'd agree with Ochmed's plan to draft him and let Woicik, Nash, and Davis tune his body while Pepper and Vince coach him on technique.

BOX - you keep mentioning Davis. Are you referring to Don Davis? If so, he left the team after last season.

Same here though I was only able to see the second half.
Watching Cody had me appreciating Big Vince that much more.

With Spikes, the guy can obviously take on OLmen, rip and shed, can cover, has an excellent size to speed ratio and has all the physical tools. I'm not sure he had all the mental skills though. Far too often, he over-pursued, bit too hard or over-committed whereby taking himself out of plays too often. For a MLB, he was in on far too few tackles as a result. In a way, I think he'd make a better pass rushing OLB in a 34.

Obviously though, one half of a football game is far too low a sampling for either guy.

BOX - you keep mentioning Davis. Are you referring to Don Davis? If so, he left the team after last season.
Bummer, I liked knowing the young guys had him around as a coach. Thanks for the update.

BritPat - don't get suckered into falling for one player based on one game. It leads to heartache. That being said, we'll have to wait a couple of years before Jones is eligible for the draft.

Jones has been doing that all season. Put this guy on Texas Tech, and he'd have about 2500 yards receiving. He's going to be scary good.

My Gators won that game... without Percy Harvin. I know the reputation that Florida receivers have but I wouldn't mind seeing the Pats pick up Harvin as a WR/Tailback hybrid (ala a Darren Sproles). He would be mean in this offense. Rashard Johnson and Brandon Spikes are the two defensive players in this game that I would be interested in. If Spikes comes out this year and slips into a later round than round 1, we should give him a good look. The man is simply a beast.

My take on the game is this. No matter how many times Alabama denies it, Mount Cody is still not 100% from the knee injury he sustained last month.
However it may all be a mute point. If Cody dedcides to come out, and I think he will, I do not think he will be on the board by the time the Pats draft. There were a lot of teams there and they were focused on Cody, St. Louis, Pittsburgh, San Diego, Arizona, Dallas, Baltimore, Miami, Tampa Bay, Green Bay, Atlanta, Seattle, Kansas City and Washington were the ones I saw for sure.

All that being said, given the absence of a pass rushing demon of the edge, I would still take Cody if he fell to us in the first.

When I first saw Major Wright play for Florida, I got all worked up over that guy, and thought he'd be a player to watch. I've really started to sour on him, as it seems he's way too erratic.

I still like Spikes, love the way he plays. The Pouncey twins are solid.

Cody is so vastly overweight, and not in the way that some of the best NTs in the league are either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes