Welcome to PatsFans.com

Florida man owes $10,000 for child who's not his

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by PatsWSB47, Jul 13, 2007.

1. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +213 / 1 / -0

#12 Jersey

This can't hold up, can it?

FORT LAUDERDALE, Florida (CNN) -- Francisco Rodriguez owes more than $10,000 in back child support payments in a paternity case involving a 15-year-old girl who, according to DNA results and the girl's mother, is not his daughter.

Francisco Rodriguez is fighting for leniency in his paternity case. "It's not right. I'm not the father, " he said.

Rodriguez, who is married with two daughters and a son from his wife's previous marriage, is fighting for leniency. "It's not right. I'm not the father, " he said at a recent court hearing.

He says he knew nothing about the other girl until paperwork showed up about four years ago saying he was the father.

He now has DNA results that show the 15-year-old girl wasn't fathered by him. He even has an affidavit from the girl's mother -- a former girlfriend from 1990 -- saying he's "not the father" and asking that Rodriguez no longer be required to pay child support.

Yet the state of Florida is continuing to push him to pay $305 a month to support the girl, as well as the more than $10,000 already owed. He spent a night in jail because of his delinquent payments.

Why is he in such a bind?

He missed the deadline to legally contest paternity. That's because, he says, the paperwork didn't reach him until after the deadline had passed.

Read the entire story:
    http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/07/11/paternity.cases/index.html

2. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +738 / 17 / -19

#24 Jersey

I've heard of this kind of thing.

I'd counter sue and let them take my house before I'd pay child support for a child that's not mine.

3. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +992 / 2 / -9

Muslims call us "The Great Satan" I wonder why, thousands and thousands of kids all across America products of the Liberal Anything Goes society who have no Idea who their father is "Shacking Up" is now American as Moms Apple Pie, they do it in all the Disney Movies.

"hey kid, is that your father"
    "I don't know"
    "ask your mother"
    "I did, she says she doesn't think so"
    :bricks:

4. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +839 / 7 / -3

This happened to a friend of mine who I went to HS with. One day he got a letter in the mail saying he had a kid in Kansas. He'd never been to Kansas. Mathematically, he'd have been 15 years old had he fathered this child. I was in school with him when he was 15, and we were in East Boston, MA. Anyhow, he argued, faught, went through 3 lawyers, and over 5 years was having money taken from his pay. When the women saw a picture of him, she told the authorities she'd never seen him before and that he wasn't the dad. Didn't matter. After the 3 lawyers and 5 years, they finally figured out the kid wasn't his. He got zero money back, and ate the loss. I asked him why he didn't sue for damages, and he said he didn't have money for more lawyers, and most he talked to told him not to bother trying. The reason he was thought to have been the father, is because someone used his name and info when he was a kid. M. Sanchez.

5. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +716 / 20 / -30

OTOH I raised my grandson from age 1 to age 7, never saw 1 penny of support to this day, even though he does not live with me, I buy every stitch of clothing he wears.. this is wrong, two wrongs do not make a right, some men are just sperm donors.

6. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +992 / 2 / -9

I did the same thing with one of my grandchildren 1 to 5, my daughter worked her way out of her troubles, she met and married a great man and I have been payed back far more than I put in, that grandaughter is now grown and I almost lost her on 9/11, she had an apponitment in one of the Towers and was involved in a fender bender coming into Manhattan, she watched everything, three days later she came to Maine and stayed for two weeks.

Buying his clothes, your a good person you love him, he's family.
    :bricks:

7. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +492 / 20 / -17

I wonder if this guy is a victim of the right-wing success in taking power away from the courts so that a judge can't go easy on a bad guy. Sounds like it to me.

8. Pujo

Pujo Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Either that's tongue in cheek or you're drunk. Now it's only a matter of time until someone blames Bush or Clinton.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2007
  9. Real World

Ratings:
    +839 / 7 / -3

Only you could make this a right versus left issue.

10. Patters

Ratings:
    +492 / 20 / -17

But, it is a right v. left issue. The right wing (with things like three strikes you're out and other restrictions on the ability of the courts to apply common sense to sentences), has created a new type of victim, like the one in the article. It's a fairly well known issue and is primary reason why every anomalous ruling by a liberal judge is used to argue for less latitude for judges.

11. Pujo

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

That's as idiotic as anything I've seen from Qui Gon.

There is a campaign against judges by some conservatives, but you're pulling stuff out of your ass if you say it influenced this case. Maybe it did, but you have zero evidence for that and you're treating "it could happen" like "it did happen". Who knows, maybe the judge never knew his own father and that influenced his ruling? Maybe the judge had a bad cup of coffee and was pissed off all day, making irrational decisions? It could happen, so it must have!

Last edited: Jul 13, 2007
  12. Real World

Ratings:
    +839 / 7 / -3

So my buddy who had this happen to him in the 90's was a victim of?

13. Real World

Ratings:
    +839 / 7 / -3

I went back to read the article again, Googled for more info, and have come to the conclusion that you are truly the most partisan lumberjack in the lot. There isn't even a mention of a judges name. All it says is that he failed to respond within the 60 days of being notified, and that the law, state law mind you (which vary) dictate that he has to pay without exception thereafter. Did you even read the article, or did you go into autohackmode?

14. Patters

Ratings:
    +492 / 20 / -17

Pujo, I said "I wonder if the guy ...." It's only one possibility, of course, but it's reasonable one.

Maybe you haven't been here long enough, but part of the Reagan revolution involved reducing the latitude judges had on assigning sentences. For this reason, you fairly often have these weird cases where a criminal ends up with a long sentence for a minor crime. The tradeoff is you don't get as many cases like the one with the Boston judge who sentenced a child molester to probation a few years ago, but you do get people who are dragged through the system without regard to common sense. It's hard to believe that no one in the sysem said

Could well be he was victim of this change of attitude. If there had been some bureaucrat or judge with the authority to apply common sense, your buddy may never have had the problem you described. Unfortunately, the right wing so fears the liberal judge who will apply common sense not to their liking that perfectly innocent people suffer. Despite it's risks, we really need to give more latitude to qualified people.

15. Pujo

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Gotcha, so it could also equally be possible that this is the liberals' fault. You know femenism and all that. We don't know that, but it's as much a possibility as yours.

I could take you more seriously if you didn't start with the conclusion and then try to make the facts fit it.

16. Real World

Ratings:
    +839 / 7 / -3

What an utter crock of sh!t. You are such a hack it's comical. Do you know why they have these people pay without recourse once the 60 days passes? It's so that the kids in question are supported financially. Do you honestly think that those eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeevil Reagan people who permit such a law? They don't care about children remember! :rolleyes:

These are STATE laws.

Chop, chop, chop....

17. Real World

Ratings:
    +839 / 7 / -3

What else would you expect from the most partisan person in the forum.

18. Patters

Ratings:
    +492 / 20 / -17

One would have to see if those state laws have been revised, but I would bet they were in the 1980s when the latitude of the courts started to diminish.

19. Pujo

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Ok, so until you do that research, you're just talking out of your ass.

20. Real World

Ratings:
    +839 / 7 / -3

Latitude of the courts? :bricks: