Welcome to PatsFans.com

Florida Drug Testing for Welfare Recipients cost more than it saved..

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by DarrylS, Apr 20, 2012.

1. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +380 / 11 / -28

Predictable outcome, the state spends more money than it saves on drug testing welfare recipients .. adds layers of bureaucracy to state systems, has to process appeals with due process never mind "legacy costs".. there are 4th amendment issues as well..

Next up for Florida, starting to drug test employees... that will prove costly as well..

Someday it will come out about the private company who is testing these freeloaders is somehow connected to Rick Scott or Marco Rubio.. then they will start the deniability game..

Florida didn't save money by drug testing welfare recipients, data show | Naked Politics

2. Drewski

Drewski In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +112 / 0 / -1

No Jersey Selected

My views on drugs and pot specifically are pretty well known on this site but a couple of thoughts about this.

I went to a HS that drug tested all the students. It was "random", yet everyone knew that it wasn't. Since the school had to release the results (not names, just how many people failed) to the other IASAS* schools, it was fairly widely known that if you passed a test the school would keep testing you as they knew you (passed drug test student) would lower the rate of failure. i.e. I was piss tested 13 times in the 3 semesters between my Sophomore and first half of Jr. years.

My only problem with it then (and I guess one of my problems with this idea) is that the people administering the policy are exempt from that policy. 99% of my teachers/admins in HS were people who grew up as hippies in the 60s/70s and after their college time either a, joined the Peace Corp, or B traveled the world after college and fell in love with Indonesia and stayed. It was an extremely liberal group of teachers/admins...most of which would openly smoke pot after school hours on their own time.

Yet come Monday morning, those same people would walk me to the nurse's office, watch me walk into the bathroom with an observer, and have them stare at me taking a piss in front of a mirror to ensure I wasn't doctoring my sample (and yes the observer was allowed to see my junk hence the mirror)

I personally feel drug testing in job places where there is no safety danger, is over the line. What I do on my free time should be no business of my employers, short of a job requiring working on machinery or driving something. Not to mention, passing regulations on a group of people (employees or welfare recipients) yet those passing the rules are exempt is just garbage (and in this case a waste of money).

I can see how some people would be for welfare recipients getting tested to get funds. But as a numbers guy, if it doesn't save more than it costs, then what is the point? There is enough waste in our Social Service programs in the country and at the state level, that I would prefer any place tackle those first.

Enforce drug testing of all politicians....and see how fast they pass laws against it.

*think of a collegiate football conference, IASAS was a conference of Asian International Schools that would compete in sports/activities against one another. Schools were JIS (Jakarta), SAS (Singapore), ISB (Bangkok), ISM (Manilla), TAS (Taipei), ISKL (Kuala Lumpur)

3. Hebeill

Hebeill 2nd Team Getting Their First Start

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Its been out that Scott owns part of the company that make the test since last year. Now how many people in florida pay attention is another matter.

4. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +539 / 6 / -2

Is that the new barometer Daryl? Whether a program costs, or saves taxpayers money? If so, I'm sure the welfare system itself would be a massive cargo tanker of red ink, in and of itself.

I don't live in Florida, so ultimately it's up to Floridians to determine the merrits of the testing program. Personally I have no issues with it. If the results prove that the number of welfare recipients on drugs is inconsequential, then good. The program won't be needed moving forward. It's impossible to know, unless you implement the testing. The idea of investing short money to determine whether or not fraud exists inside a multi-million dollar program, is a good one. Obviously the people who shouted against the testing feel vindicated, but I'd point to the people in our state who shout against steps being taken to root out fraud via EBT. To me, it's where you go from here that would determine waste. If you continue to test where you needn't, then I'd agree it's wastefull.

What 4th amendment issues Daryl? If you want to accept free money and benefits provided from the wallets of taxpayers, then you agree to the rules that come with them. End of story.

5. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +380 / 11 / -28

There are no rules on drug usage, the problem as noted is the process and guarantees which need to be put in place to effect such a program..

The fourth amendment, which can be construed to impact this program.. which intertwined with such things as due process, can prove not only to be invasive, but unweildy..

Taking someone's body fluids is highly invasive, as said in the initial post here someone is getting their palms greased for this program...

A better method of testing is hair samples... taking a lock of hair is less intrusive than taking urine, but not sure if that is legal though. There are many ways to beat a urine test..

Last edited: Apr 20, 2012