PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Fleming, Hilapio, Devey, Stork and Wendell

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wendell has a $1,000,000 salary, plus a weekly roster bonus of $12,500 per game that he is active, which works out to $200,000 for the full season.

There was also an $850,000 signing bonus, which is a sunk cost.

Wendell's cap number is $1,625,000.

If he is cut or traded then the Pats will take a cap hit of $850,000 (for his signing bonus).

The cap savings for the Patriots is $705,000 if he is cut or traded.

PatsCap.com | Ryan Wendell

A vet minimum contract would give a team signing him a lowered cap number, which is that of the minimum contract for a player with two years experience, or $570,000. Wendell's contract does not qualify for that cap discount because (a) his salary is in excess of the vet minimum for a player with his experience ($730,000); (b) it is for more than one year; and (c) it contains combined bonus money in excess of $65,000.

Should another team want to pick him up and qualify for that vet minimum discount, then they would have to sign him to a one-year deal with a salary of $730,000 and signing and/or roster bonuses of no more than $65,000.

Thank you, jmt57. For that kind of money, I wouldn't mess around by cutting Wendell. Just my opinion.

As I said, I think it's always the hope that a cheaper/younger rookie will step up in justification of a veteran release to save money, but in this case---it's not just that significant of a savings.

Of course, we've seen Belichick make moves to save far less, so I could be wrong. I just think we'll be needing him this year one way or another.

I expect the draftees to all make it. They were drafted for a reason and there will likely be some movement next year (Wendell gone, Cannon will be a UFA, Mankins a possible cap casualty).

I would guess they'll release Wendell, have Connelly at Center and keep Cave on the PS as a Center emergency. IRing Stork is a possibility too, we have plenty of depth for this year but keeping it for next year is the goal for me.

Good point, BelichickFan. That is actually how I feel about RB and CB--although probably to a lesser extent. I think some of these logjams of talent will pay off big time next year.

At RB, I'd like to see at least one of Finch/Gray on the PS, if that is possible (preferably Finch). If not, we may have a nice foundation of White and Finch at RB for 14/2015, only needing to sign one of Ridley/Vereen in the offseason.

As usual, Bolden is a wildcard for me both this year and next when he's a RFA.

Thank you, jmt57. For that kind of money, I wouldn't mess around by cutting Wendell. Just my opinion.

As I said, I think it's always the hope that a cheaper/younger rookie will step up in justification of a veteran release to save money, but in this case---it's not just that significant of a savings.

Of course, we've seen Belichick make moves to save far less, so I could be wrong. I just think we'll be needing him this year one way or another.

SEVEN LOCKS OR ALMOST LOCKS
Mankins, Connolly, Stork and the four tackles. At this point, Connolly needs to start somewhere. A can't see Belichick cutting Stork. Cannon is at very least a needed backup at OT. Fleming is good enough to be the emergency backup while he develops.

1-2 INTERIOR LINEMAN - WHO ARE THEY?
Who are they? Given, the above, who would you keep?
WENDELL
DEVEY
KLINE
HILAPIO
BARKER
CAVE

OT - Solder, Vollmer, Fleming
OG/C - Mankins, Connolly, Wendell, Stork
OT/OG Cannon

OPTION ONE - Wendell
Of the kids. Belichick could simply keep only the 4th rounders. The 9th and 10th OL's would then be on the Pracive Squad. I suspect at least 3 of the 5 will clear waivers.

OPTION TWO - Two Kids
Cut Wendell and keep two of the kids.

OPTION THREE - Wendell plus one kid

OPTION FOUR - Wendell plus 2 kids for 4 weeks and then cut someone.

I like the 10 OL Option 4. If Stork is ready in 4 weeks, then Wendell can go.

My guess, as of now:

Solder - Mankins - Connolly - Devey - Vollmer
Cannon - Wendell - Stork - Kline - Fleming

Wendell could be a 4-week insurance policy while Stork learns the ropes. Another wrinkle could be
that Wendell is released then re-signed after Week 1 so that his contract isn't guaranteed.

Halapio needs a good performance v Carolina to overtake Kline before cut-downs. Kline could also
start at RT with a good performance v Carolina.

I understand that Wendell may get cut. However, we shouldn't have any illusions about re-signing him.
Wendell would simply say "thank you" for the bonus money and take a guaranteed minimum value contract elsewhere. There are many teams that can use a veteran backup center as their 8th or 9th OL, especially one that is healthy and was a 2013 starter.

Personally, I like the idea of 10 OL's. We would have 8 position players plus 2 developmental players (Stork and Fleming).

We often keep a couple of developmental players. We have fragile OT's. Cannon is in his contract year.
Mankins, Connolly and Wendell could all be gone after season. To me, the OL is a good value for the use of developmental roster spots.

My guess, as of now:

Solder - Mankins - Connolly - Devey - Vollmer
Cannon - Wendell - Stork - Kline - Fleming

Wendell could be a 4-week insurance policy while Stork learns the ropes. Another wrinkle could be
that Wendell is released then re-signed after Week 1 so that his contract isn't guaranteed.

Halapio needs a good performance v Carolina to overtake Kline before cut-downs. Kline could also
start at RT with a good performance v Carolina.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back