PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Fleming, Hilapio, Devey, Stork and Wendell

Status
Not open for further replies.
The highest pick the Patriots have released in the Belichick era has been Lee Smith who was #159 overall. That actually proved to be a mistake because Smith has gone on to be a productive player in Buffalo and is actually the exact type of TE we are looking for now desperately. Taking that into consideration I find it very hard to envision them releasing Stork who was taken at #105 or Fleming who was taken at #130. I actually would be surprised to see them release Halapio who was #179.

I think fans have to get away from the belief that Belichick is going to pick the best 53 players for 2014 with no regard for the future of the team. He is not going to do that, he never has, he is going to keep some players who might not help right away.

He can cut Wendell, and most likely Wendell will sit on the UFA market and be available in season if needed. He had no interest during UFA this offseason.
None of the decisions to keep 3rd round or later picks that didn't deserve to make the team has turned out to be correct.

At least I see none.

None of the decisions to keep 3rd round or later picks that didn't deserve to make the team has turned out to be correct.

At least I see none.
Alfonzo Dennard and Marcus Cannon were both out for all or most of their first camp.

That was Finch lack of ability at pass blocking, if its the untouched sack I'm thinking of.

I don't think that was the play that I'm talking about to be honest.

Cannon was definitely involved in a negative fashion. It wasn't a sack, but it was a significant pressure.

That is useful re: Finch's pass protection mistakes though, as I think that may be one of the reasons why he doesn't make the 53 man roster this year. I am hoping they can get him to the PS, though.

IIRC Miami for one needs a center

Yes, I would imagine that should Wendell be cut (or in a lesser chance, Connelly)--Miami would gladly welcome him with open arms.

I don't know if Miami, Jax or anyone else will claim him at his current salary; chances are that
Wendy passes through waivers unclaimed, then signs elsewhere for the vet minimum-plus.

I think Hilapio will be starting before the season ends. He came from a major conference and held his own. He is big and has a nasty streak. Imagine him next to Mankins that would be sweet.

I don't know if Miami, Jax or anyone else will claim him at his current salary; chances are that
Wendy passes through waivers unclaimed, then signs elsewhere for the vet minimum-plus.
He doesnt make much more than the minimum

Was his contract that incentive-laden?

Was his contract that incentive-laden?

Does that change your mind at all about keeping him as a depth option, Captain Stone?

In the beginning of camp, I assumed that the coaches were hoping that one of the three rookies would stand up enough to make one of Connelly/Wendell expendable. While I still think that may have been the case (and always is, when it comes to rookies + potentially saving money), I don't think that any of the 3 did anything to justify moving one of them.

I'd feel much better having a guy like Connelly starting at C, with Wendell having cheap, backup experience.

Then again, I'm not sure about what the incentives are about or what they'll add up to. If all Wendell has to do is be active on the 46 man gameday roster to rack up another million or so, then maybe it's not worth it.

A team claiming him would take his salary, which is just $1,000,000.

What kind of incentives are involved for Wendell, Andy?

If he's on the 46 man active gameday every week, where does that take us in terms of cost? Would he be a viable backup candidate to justify the kind of salary he'd get? Thanks in advance.

One of Kirwin's bullet points for depth on a NFL team is "three tackles". The Pats have three tackles with significant starting experience in the NFL -- Vollmer, Cannon, and Soldier. The interesting thing is not the roster spots, but how Belichick uses the three of them.

I expect all three to get significant playing time this year and I don't think it's clear (or particularly important) which two will be the "starters". You want a formation that is wicked for running (or protecting Brady on a slow developing deep play action pass)? Put all three of them on the field with one at tight end. Put Gronk at the other tight end -- maybe to run a seam route, maybe to deliver his patented wham block and you've got a real pass/run dilemma for the defense.

All the pundits are so busy trying to make something of "taking snaps with the 1s" when the real action is Belichick trying new stuff out. Lining up tackles at TE is very interesting....

It seems that Fleming is on the 53, unless he is replaced by a 3rd TE or an OT/TE hybrid like Manieri.
Steve Maneri sucks.

I don't why folks think that Hilapio has earned a roster spot over Devey.
Is Jon Halapio even better than Josh Kline? I can foresee one of Kline or Halapio demoted to the practice squad.

Wendell is the big question mark. He may need to be active as the backup center. Or the best combination of C/RG may still be Wendell and Connolly. Stork could make the 53 man squad, but he is not ready to be the game active backup center.
If Bryan Stork is not playing at least half the snaps in the fourth preseason game, the Injured Reserve list awaits.

What kind of incentives are involved for Wendell, Andy?

If he's on the 46 man active gameday every week, where does that take us in terms of cost? Would he be a viable backup candidate to justify the kind of salary he'd get? Thanks in advance.
Wendell has a $1,000,000 salary, plus a weekly roster bonus of $12,500 per game that he is active, which works out to $200,000 for the full season.

There was also an $850,000 signing bonus, which is a sunk cost.

Wendell's cap number is $1,625,000.

If he is cut or traded then the Pats will take a cap hit of $850,000 (for his signing bonus).

The cap savings for the Patriots is $705,000 if he is cut or traded.

PatsCap.com | Ryan Wendell

A vet minimum contract would give a team signing him a lowered cap number, which is that of the minimum contract for a player with two years experience, or $570,000. Wendell's contract does not qualify for that cap discount because (a) his salary is in excess of the vet minimum for a player with his experience ($730,000); (b) it is for more than one year; and (c) it contains combined bonus money in excess of $65,000.

Should another team want to pick him up and qualify for that vet minimum discount, then they would have to sign him to a one-year deal with a salary of $730,000 and signing and/or roster bonuses of no more than $65,000.

Does that change your mind at all about keeping him as a depth option, Captain Stone?

In the beginning of camp, I assumed that the coaches were hoping that one of the three rookies would stand up enough to make one of Connelly/Wendell expendable. While I still think that may have been the case (and always is, when it comes to rookies + potentially saving money), I don't think that any of the 3 did anything to justify moving one of them.

I'd feel much better having a guy like Connelly starting at C, with Wendell having cheap, backup experience.

Then again, I'm not sure about what the incentives are about or what they'll add up to. If all Wendell has to do is be active on the 46 man gameday roster to rack up another million or so, then maybe it's not worth it.

I had hoped for Wendy's eventual release with the emergence of Stork. However, because of Stork's leg injury, there is no way I would release him now until Stork proves that he has recovered and can
actually play the position.

This mention about Stork in Reiss' Sunday notes (#6) sounds too familiar, unfortunately:
http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-...386/quick-hit-thoughts-around-nfl-patriots-23

I expect the draftees to all make it. They were drafted for a reason and there will likely be some movement next year (Wendell gone, Cannon will be a UFA, Mankins a possible cap casualty).

I would guess they'll release Wendell, have Connelly at Center and keep Cave on the PS as a Center emergency. IRing Stork is a possibility too, we have plenty of depth for this year but keeping it for next year is the goal for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes