PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Flattering article on Garrett Mills

Status
Not open for further replies.

tailgater

On the Game Day Roster
Reaction score
If they can find a spot for him, he sounds like a nice pick!

http://colts.scout.com/2/519659.html?refid=3652

Tight end? Fullback? Slot receiver? Halfback?

How about all four. Plus some excellent special teams in his spare time.

Listed as a tight end in college, the 6-foot-1, 241-pound Mills is being projected as one of the top fullbacks in this year’s draft. Number one by Vic Carucci at NFL.com, and second-best by Mel Kiper Jr.

Mills’ identity crisis should actually boost his stock in this year’s draft because you’ll be hard-pressed to find another player who is not only so versatile, but who excels at all the positions he’s asked to play. But it didn’t always work to his advantage in college. Mills wasn’t even mentioned on the watch list for the John Mackey Award, given to the nation’s top tight end. Evidently, he didn’t quite match the profile for the “typical†tight end. His head coach, Steve Kragthorpe, wasn’t the least bit happy about the slight.

“I’m sorry that he is a good enough athlete and smart enough that we can play him in about five different spots and put him in about 40 different formations in the game and he doesn’t ever have any problems with it and never has been a mental bust,†he said with a note of sarcasm.

“So I guess Garrett Mills is being penalized because of his versatility. Because he is not a guy who just lines up and plays end-line all the time. There are a lot of great "

and

"And the NFL has taken note of him as well. Baltimore Ravens running backs coach Matt Simon believes that players with the versatility that Mills possesses are underestimated, “But in this league, you can’t win championships without them,†he noted. “Mills will come out of this deal, and seven or eight years from now, you’re watching him in a Super Bowl.â€

Amongst other great attributes, draft analyst Mel Kiper Jr. notes Mills’ quickness and his concentration while the ball is in the air. He “catches passes with hands away from frame and rarely drops a pass he should catch.â€

NFL.com’s Pat Kirwan is another analyst squarely in Mills’ corner.

“I want this guy on my team,†said Kirwan. “Versatility is critical in this era of the salary cap, late-season injuries and changing offenses.â€

Kirwan has been impressed with Mills’ receiving and blocking skills and believes that if you include special teams work, Mills could be on the field at the pro level for 25-35 plays per game.

One person who’s going to be happy to see Mills take the leap to the NFL ranks is Oklahoma head coach Bob Stoops. After a Sooners victory against Tulsa, Stoops still reflected some frustration and admiration in regards "

Yesterday, a poster asked if we had just drafted Roger Craig and Jerry Rice(Maroney/Jackson). Well maybe Mills could be the versatile weapon that Tom Rathman was for those SF teams. Mills doesn't seem to profile as a great lead blocker, but he could be a real nice Hback, sort of like the Redskins Chris Cooley.

Ok, I'm better now. I guess we'll have to see how he pans out. I think the writing is on the wall for Graham now. Next year is obviously his make or break year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back