Welcome to PatsFans.com

Flag abuse ban fails by 1 vote in U.S. Senate

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by IcyPatriot, Jun 28, 2006.

1. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,026 / 8 / -19

#87 Jersey

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2006/06/28/FLAG.TMP

I understand why it didn't pass...but I'll still don't understand why anyone would want to burn the flag...a flag that many died to protect on this soil.
  2. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +359 / 11 / -27

Read somewhere this AM that the flag burning increased 33% last year, from 3 instances to 4. I would rather see the emphasis on the existing flag code, which would take a look at all the ragged flags flying on cars, desecrated on the ground, left up all night without illumination than to add another law or change the constitution. There are very few things I would change the constitution for and this is not one of them.

This whole effort along with the Gay Marriage Amendment, Iraq pullout is nothing more than pandering in preparation for the fall campaigns. One candidate can say I voted for these things, therefore I must be good. All a bunch of bull****, and congress has other things they could and should be working on.
  3. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +259 / 10 / -11

This Congress is really embarrassing. They put up b.s. issue after b.s. issue to try to polarize Americans even more. I'm really disappointed at the large number of Democrats who voted for this. Does anyone here favor a Constitutional Amendment to ban flag burning?
  4. bmf31c

bmf31c Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I agree with GJA, who is burning flags? The t-shirts, bandanas, tattered etc etc are insulting to me, the misuse of the symbol is just as bad as burning it. I don't think its a worthwhile cause at the present time for congress to be debating it.

I have a flag on my right arm everyday, I'll extend an invitation to anyone that wants to come and burn it.
  5. bmf31c

bmf31c Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I hope this didn't take too much time away from them debating what to name the all the Post Offices. :rolleyes:
  6. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,026 / 8 / -19

#87 Jersey

I doubt any of them would have the cahonesto do it...but they are the 1st to cry foul whenever it suits their issues..
  7. bmf31c

bmf31c Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I think about this poem everytime flag burning is brought up.

[SIZE=+3]The Soldier[/SIZE]
    It is the soldier, not the reporter,
    who has given us freedom of the press.
    It is the soldier, not the poet,
    who has given us freedom of speech.
    It is the soldier, not the campus organizer,
    who has given us the freedom to demonstrate.
    It is the soldier, not the lawyer,
    who has given us the right to a fair trial.
    It is the soldier,
    who salutes the flag,
    who serves under the flag,
    and whose coffin is draped by the flag,
    who allows the protester to burn the flag.
    By Father Dennis Edward O'Brien, USMC
  8. bmf31c

bmf31c Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

The citizen Soldiers...Patriots, they called them.
  9. PatsFanInEaglesLand

PatsFanInEaglesLand Rookie

Ratings:
    +99 / 7 / -14

#37 Jersey

I don't think you will get anyone to come out and say it, but there are some here who would totally disagree with that passage. I once had a poster here tell me in took as much courage to be an protester/activist as it did to be a soldier.
  10. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +225 / 8 / -13

Of course our freedom is just sorta an accident, don'tya know.
  11. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +259 / 10 / -11

It is not only the soldier, since the soldier does what he's told. The soldier defends the policies of the CiC. If the CiC subverts the Constitution, the soldier will back him; if the CiC ignores the laws passed by Congress, the soldier will respect that; if the CiC launches a war based on lies, the soldier will engage in that war; if the CiC arrests people without due process, the soldier will look the other way; if the CiC shows no respect for our privacy and privacy laws, the soldier will not protect us from that. While the soldier will always protect us from foreign invaders, it's all of us who protect us from corrupt government. The American flag belongs to all of us, and all of us have a duty to protect what it stands for.
  12. milwaukeebeers44

milwaukeebeers44 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Absolutely not. It's contrary to the First Ammendment, regardless of how anyone feels about it. I think it's a sickening display, personally, but it's a freedom of expression guaranteed by our Constitution.

Here's the voting record, in case anyone is curious how their Senators voted:

http://www.senate.gov/legislative/L...ote_cfm.cfm?congress=109&session=2&vote=00189
  13. QuiGon

QuiGon Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I thought our freedom came as the result of a bunch of college liberals sitting around smoking weed and singing radical leftist hymns. You mean there's more to it than Berkeley and Cambridge..?!?