PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Flacco Moving Up

Status
Not open for further replies.

BelichickFan

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/eagles/Note_to_Eagles_Sheppard_should_remain_with_the_flock.html

"University of Delaware quarterback Joe Flacco continues to wow NFL scouts. He followed up his solid throwing performance at last month's scouting combine with another impressive workout yesterday at Delaware's Pro Day. "He threw the ball great," said an AFC scout who attended Flacco's early-morning on-campus workout. "He's done everything right in the offseason. Everything." Has his stock risen enough to get him into the first round? "I think so," the scout said. "Right now, there's a lot of teams that have him rated ahead of [Matt] Ryan."

#7 is a too high for Flacco but if we trade down from #7 to a spot in the 12-15 range we may have a big trade down opportunity if a team really likes Flacco. He could end up being the Jay Cutler of this draft.

Is it me or does everyone else think this guy is vastly overrated? He couldn't beat out Tyler Palko, now everyone thinks he's better then Brian Brohm and Chad Henne. Flacco reminds me of Joey Harrington with more arm strength.

Is it me or does everyone else think this guy is vastly overrated? He couldn't beat out Tyler Palko, now everyone thinks he's better then Brian Brohm and Chad Henne. Flacco reminds me of Joey Harrington with more arm strength.

I don't know if he's over-rated, but some QBs who are suited to college just can't play in the NFL. Brad Johnson couldn't beat out Casey Weldon. Mark Brunell couldn't beat out Billy Joe Hobart. Yet between the two, they've been in the NFL for 35 years or so.

Hell, Tom Brady couldn't beat out Brian Griese....or really even hold off Drew Henson. I'm willing to bet Flacco has a more substantial NFL career than Palko.

Last edited:

It's not really even a question of whether he's better than those guys, just whether he's so much better that teams would trade up to get him. I don't think so.

I think most have agreed that Ryan is the only "sure thing" QB in this class, I don't see how Flacco, for example, is that much better than Brohm or the others that he's worth jumping draft spots to get for any team.

I just think that Flacco is a guy with all the mearuables that scouts love, but never can put it together. He only had one good year at Delware, this past year were he threw 23 td's and 5 ints. He has a bit of Drew Bledsoe too him. I personally prefer Erik Ainge to Flacco.

#7 is a too high for Flacco but if we trade down from #7 to a spot in the 12-15 range we may have a big trade down opportunity if a team really likes Flacco. He could end up being the Jay Cutler of this draft.

:confused:
a first trade down and then another trade down?

Great news, hopefully he rises into the top 5.

:confused:
a first trade down and then another trade down?
It almost never happens but multiple first round trade downs are a good way to go if you're lucky enough to have trading partners at each stop.

It almost never happens but multiple first round trade downs are a good way to go if you're lucky enough to have trading partners at each stop.

Depending on how many job openings there are, and how far you're dropping down. For the Dolphins it's a great idea. For us, probably not. If we trade down to #15, I really don't want to trade down again, unless it's #16. At the end of free agency, we should have most of our roster constructed. Let's get a few difference-makers.

Last edited:
Depending on how many job openings there are, and how far you're dropping down. For the Dolphins it's a great idea. For us, probably not. If we trade down to #15, I really don't want to trade down again, unless it's #16. At the end of free agency, we should have most of our roster constructed. Let's get a few difference-makers.
I'm good with difference makers if we think there's one there. However I also love trading into next year's draft. Certainly we don't want to many rookies on our team this year given our situation.

I'm good with difference makers if we think there's one there. However I also love trading into next year's draft. Certainly we don't want to many rookies on our team this year given our situation.

I usually do too, but this go-round they systematically traded out of 2007 to 2008 because it looks like a stronger class. Time to cash in, IMO.

I agree. I don't like the multiple trade down scenario if it gets us out of the top 16. The big reason why is that extra year that can be tacked onto a top 16 player's contract. The value of that extra year of service from a stud rookie far outweights the benefits of acquiring an extra 3rd round pick. Some people don't seem to appreciate this added value of a higher end 1st round pick.

I usually do too, but this go-round they systematically traded out of 2007 to 2008 because it looks like a stronger class. Time to cash in, IMO.
Cashing in depends on what's there. If there's a true top ten talent at #7, by all means cash in. But if we're taking a guy who's, say, #13 in an average draft or #7 in an average draft at a non need position then I trade down and try again.

" Has his stock risen enough to get him into the first round? "I think so," the scout said. "Right now, there's a lot of teams that have him rated ahead of [Matt] Ryan."

Let's just take the above quote and run with it:

If true, that some teams have him rated higher than Ryan, than it's not a reach to draft him at #7. If that statement is exaggerated a bit, than there's a possibility that he's rated the #2 QB after Ryan. If so, then #7 is still not a reach, especially when you consider that Brohm (nfldraftscout's #2 QB) has been mocked as early as #8 (Ravens). Currently, draftscout has Flacco as the #4 -- but climbing. It's certainly possible (especially after his workout), that some teams now have Flacco #2 on their boards.

This article may be of some interest. Mentions approx 12 teams attending his workout; the Pats, Ravens, Saints, Jags were named. Reportedly, the Jesters and Fins have shown interest.

In addition, the Ravens at #8, and Bears at #14 have been mocked with Brohm. So it seems like all signs point to Flacco being a potential top 15 pick, especially when we know teams have personal preferences.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes