PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Five years ago today (2/3/02).........

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigEZPatsFan76

On the Game Day Roster
Reaction score
At close to the same time as now, our beloved Pats won their first Super Bowl, an exciting Super Bowl XXXVI, 20-17 over the Rams, here in New Orleans (roughly 6 miles from where I am right now).

Where has the time gone?:eek:

EZ76

wow
five years
def doesnt seem that long

I am finally making an admission about that night: when the Rams came back to tie the game, I thought the Patriots were definitely going to cough it up. In 2001, I'd lived through a miserable many years since 1976 watching the Patriots and Red Sox blow their championship opportunities. 1976, 1978, 1985, 1996 were the opportune years for the Pats. 1975, 1978, 1986, 1998 were the years for the Red Sox. I was convinced that the 2001 Super Bowl was just one more dagger to my goshdamned New England sports fan heart.

And then Brady, Redmond, Wiggins, Vinatieri happened. And everything changed.

I remember thinking "it's tied, it's not like we're behind, there's still overtime." But of course we didn't need it.

You're right Upstarter, everything has changed, for the better.:D

Last edited:
I agree, the moment the Patriots won I said to myself, this will change everything about being a Boston sports fan. And for me, it has.

Ahhhhh..what a game it was, what a moment - will never , ever forget it as long as I live!!

Was at the game with one of my sons and we had the absolute time of our lives...once in a lifetime for sure.

errrr - then came Houston and I went with all my boys for that twice in a lifetime event.

Errrr - then came Jacksonville and you - went again.

So lucky

So much fun

Next year...see y'all in Arizona - you too NEM!!

I remember thinking "it's tied, it's not like we're behind, there's still overtime." But of course we didn't need it.

You're right Upstarter, everything has changed, for the better.:D

OT and ties used to always spell doom for our beloved teams. I had a helpless feeling and Tom Brady and crew came through.

Oh man, memories, watching the game with my best friends in Naragansett, after that FG went through playing a 10 minute game of muckle on the floor, as we just celebrated like there was no tomorrow, then calling my father, both of us crying, something we have been waiting for our whole lives to happen finally did, something we thought we would never see after years of local blackouts, the only way seeing us at home for years was sitting in them aluminum benches at Foxboro stadium.

I can't believe it has been that long.

i know i was thinkin the same thing
and his catch was the most crucial

although watching redmonds catch and dragging of two defenders out of bounds FOR THE FIRST DOWN yet, still gives me chills to this day

Thanks for reminding me where I was 5 years ago. At this time me and my traveling friends had left the Superdome and were celebrating at the Patriots hotel in downtown New Orleans. It definetely changed what it meant to be a lifelong Patriots fan.

The best part was listening to Madden say how they should kneel on it and I was screaming at my tv "don't listen to that idiot, you have 1:08, go for it".

Luckily Belichick was our coach and not Madden and he had the brains and balls to try to win it then rather than going to overtime and risking your season on a lousy coin toss.

Never understood that about end of game strategy. Why play for the next 15 minute quarter when you're still not done with the current one.

After they won I ran into the living room where my Dad was watching and started screaming. Then I ran back in my room, threw on a jacket and drove into downtown Boston to see the mayhem first hand.

Last edited:
I remember that night with fondness.... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes